• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

seam at top of fender

67Alpine

Donation Time
I am trying to decide how to finish the seam at the top of the fender to the body that runs from the corner of the hood to the door. It doesn't have a consistent depth or contour. My first thought is to fill it with All Metal and smooth it out. Has anyone filled this seam in similar to this successfully? I am concerned it may be a cracking point in which case I could use seam sealer to "clean up" the seam.

I would be interested in hearing what others have done with this seam and the results.

As always, Thanks in advance!

Brian

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...it may be a cracking point...
Brian, the seam should be welded, don't you see welds in the seam?
I assume you stripped the paint and it's bare metal, you don't need seam sealer or All-Metal. Plastic body filler works just fine. I recommend "RAGE" Gold made by Evercoat.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
fender

but if he has a series 5 the seam has to show as an open seam. it should not be smoothed over. he should also make sure there is none of the original lead left over the seam.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh yeah, I'm thinking of the early cars. Good point, Bob.
So yes, a seam sealer like 3M "Ultrapro" (p/n 08300) would work great, use sparingly. I use this for the inner fender gaps to fill and anywhere else that needs a filling.
Jan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Oh yeah, I'm thinking of the early cars. Good point, Bob.
So yes, a seam sealer like 3M "Ultrapro" (p/n 08300) would work great, use sparingly. I use this for the inner fender gaps to fill and anywhere else that needs a filling.
Jan

I like 3M Ultrapro

tom o

Donation Time
My SV (395018322) had lead in the seam. When I redid the body I releaded it.
Just remember body lead is a specific blend, I can't remember what it is. It
gives the lead a larger temp range so it can be worked like putty. Using a maple paddle and sheeps talo to move the lead. It does not seam difficult to me to use lead, but there is a mystic that it is difficult. What I like about it is there is no fine dust, only shavings. If done correctly it will not crack or lift.
Tom O

67Alpine

Donation Time
Thanks for the advice everyone! I was not aware that as a SV it should have an exposed seam. The seam is leaded, but very unevenly. Starting at the hood it is fairly crooked path. Through the middle it is deep and was full of rust. Toward the end near the door the seam is very shallow.

I may try leading it, although the seam sealer idea seems good as I already have it for the interior. Possibly I can carve some of the lead out to make it a more even line.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I'm not sure if you are referring to "hood" vs "bonnet" or if you think there is no visible seam, or if you are disputing the term "open seam". On late Series Alpines (at least SV), there is a visible seam that goes from the rear corner of the hood (or bonnet) pretty straight back to the door opening, just where the window frame seal meets the door opening. You can see this seam in this photo from the gallery:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/plugin...p?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=2&p17_imageid=46

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The photo is of the left hand side. My windshield may not be quite centered, as the rubber trim is just covering the seam on the right hand side.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC05269.jpg
    DSC05269.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 69

alpine_64

Donation Time
The seam in that is correct. As tom said, when they went to the square paneled hood and doors they left the trailing seams exposed. Same applies for the rear sill joint at the trailing edge of the doors. Its also why on series 3 when they squared the leading edge of the base of the door you got an exposed seam on the will fircthe first time.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Well I'll be darned. My S3 doesn't have an open seam there, and I didn't remember the SV having it. I stand corrected.

Mike

chubby

Donation Time
From what I understand from Jeff Howarth, the seams were left unfilled from SV - a cost saving measure apparently.

I am sure some of you have heard of Jeff.

Randall

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a fake seam at the bottom rear of each door as well, that would be at the rocker panel. Just a note and all Alpine V's had these seams. :cool: I should note that is for all but a few transition cars like on the Tiger I to Tiger IA the Alpine went from a SIV body style to the SV to cut cost.

Last edited: