• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Russian Su30MK

Nickodell

Donation Time
UNtil a few days ago we were fat and happy in the certainty that nothing in the world could equal the F22 Raptor fighter. Then the Russkies showed off their new Su 30MK. This amazing plane can do the apparently impossible, like braking almost to a stop from high speed in seconds, descending tail-first without compressor stall (i.e. engine flameout) and even recover from a flat spin (non-recoverable in most high-performance aircraft and a lot of private ones) in a few turns. All the incredible manoeuvers you see remind one of the Clint Eastwood film some 20 years ago Firefox, and how we giggled at the impossible gyrations he put it through with the aid of model animation and computer graphics. "Ignorant non-flyers, we told each other. No supersonic plane can do that." Apparently at least one can.

Now we have to worry about which countries they'll be selling them to, like N. Korea, Iran and Venezuela.

Anyhow, "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ..." (and enjoy the show):

www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv

64beam

Donation Time
What an amazing fighter :cool: . It brings a whole new term to dog fighting and worries to the west :( .

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
It was very interesting to watch the positioning of the canards during the maneuvers.
One observation on the flat spin, They never showed him pull out of the spin. :rolleyes: Are we sure that the aircraft in the remaining film was the same aircraft or was filmed prior to the flat spin.

There are many stories in the past about some of the abilities of the Russian aircraft that turned out some Truth but in the most part thew were destroying some aircraft to exaggerate their abilities. One that comes to mind was a MIG that had speeds that were unheard of in the day. it turns our they were running a special fuel that literally burned up the engines in a single run and the airframe was so wakened by the heat from the speed that they scrapped it after the flight. This was all done to make us think they had something that we did not. All we could see was something moving fast on radar just off their east coast. :confused:

Paul

Nickodell

Donation Time
Paul: The Soviets could get away with lots 20 or so years ago, as they had complete control of the media. None of their airliners ever crashed, nor did their trains, nor did their ships sink (except when hit by the American gangsters in submarines). Aeroflot was so bad that in Europe they were known as Aeroflop, and the company I worked for forbade anyone from flying on it if there was any alternative, even if it was Air Lithuania or some such, but according to PRAVDA Aeroflot was the safest airline going..

Today I don't think they could get away with such fakery, so I think what we saw was they way it was. .By the way, did you also notice that huge air brake come up behind the "pilot's cabin"** as he landed? I wonder if they deploy that at all in flight.

**you can't write c**kpit on the forum any more, or in fact any word containing the word c**k, like c**k-up, ballc**k or even John Alc**k or you get a series of CENSORED*CENSORED instead. Dumb