• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Brake Drum Locktabs

Spectrenj

Donation Time
Based on some old forum posts, I beleive there should be locktabs to secure the 4 bolts retaining the rear brake drum (on a Series V with wire wheels). Does anyone know of a source for these? Thank you!

Spectrenj

Donation Time
I would expect to find something like these:
341-25412-00-00__75687.1660169125.jpg

Spectrenj

Donation Time
I have wire wheels, and the drums are held on with four bolts. My bolts had nothing, no lockwashers, no flat washers and no locktabs. None of the diagrams (such as the one above) show the bolts. Then I found a post from way back which refers to locktabs. There are a few posts on the forum about the bolts working loose. Another option would be to drill the heads and safety wire them together in pairs. JRQ

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, they are listed in the parts book. Not sure if any of the suppliers have them, however, as I don't have a wire wheel car and never checked.

1683571308081.png

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Technology has come a long way in the last half-century; an appropriate thread-locker is probably a better solution than tab washers.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Exactly! Back to my original question - does anyone know where to buy them?

Moss Motors has some listings for lock tabs - but no dimensions. It's doubtful any would be a correct size.

You might give them a call to see if they have an idea about finding some correct tabs - probably sourced from the UK.

In today's manufacturing environment, a thread locker product would be used instead of locking tabs.

You might consider using LocTite 243 for the same purpose.

Just a thought,

Last edited:

Spectrenj

Donation Time
Thank you! I have a possible source in the UK, I sent him an email. If I cannot find them, I will go with thread locker. JRQ

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have them on my S4. Found out when I replaced leaking slave cylinder recently. Appreciate an update to the thread if your UK supplier has them. Cheers

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Threadlocker should do the job (provided the bolts and holes are clean and oil-free), but if you’re looking for a failure-proof alternative, I would probably drill the bolts and wire-tie them. Yeah, it’s old-school, but it also definitely works. I’ve used it all the time on race cars.

Lock tabs have a significant problem… by their very function they are made of soft metal. Thus, the washer underneath your bolt is made of that same soft metal, and can therefore become similarly distorted (flattened), allowing the bolt to loosen even without turning. That’s why you NEVER use them in any racing applications.

Spectrenj

Donation Time
My source in the UK cannot locate any locktabs. I am probably going to go with threadlocker unless I can find bolts drilled for safety wire. Thank you all for your help and advice. John

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Assuming you’ll be using Grade 5 bolts (a good choice), these are quite easy to cross-drill for wire with a quality bit.

Just be sure to read up on how to wire bolts, unless you’re already good at it - there’s a technique that works… and lots that don’t!

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
How hard would these be to make if you had one halfway good one to work with? What kind and gauge of metal did they use?

Spectrenj

Donation Time
Not sure on the gauge, as I don't have an old one. I know they are used on MGAs, but mine is out for paint so I cannot check it. I was going to measure the distance between holes and try to match it up. I called SS and they said no one ever asked for them before. I am also searching for bolts drilled to accept safety wire.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
How hard would these be to make if you had one halfway good one to work with? What kind and gauge of metal did they use?

As a guess, probably the same metal as the lock tab used on the flywheel bolts - and possibly zinc plated.

Now, is it straight or curved?

What size bolts and holes?

Since the drum is the same and bolted through the existing holes, the bolt circle should be 4.25 inches. Now you just need to figure the chord length of a line segment extending from 0 degrees to 90 degrees for hole center to center distance.

Last thought, do you want it to have the "tabs" or just make it wide enough to use the corners of the strip to be the tabs?

A strip cut from a heavy duty tin can might work, depends on your esthetic priorities.

Thread locker is still a better choice.

Just a thought,

Last edited: