• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator Cap & S-V Heater Core

bashby

Donation Time
On the Nissan CA18DET motor in my Series V I am running an 11-13 psi radiator cap. I have yet to connect the S-V OEM heater core to the system. I am concerned that the core may not be up to it. I verified that the core is sound but as that they were not designed for the pressure I have doubts. Before I pressurize it I would like some input as ethelyne glycol-water and a new interior do not go well together.

thickeyjr

Donation Time
Do you have a regulator on your compressor? Maybe you could clamp on a cap on one side and rig a fitting on the other and pressurize with air outside the car. I have a portable tank with a regulator if you don't. Another option might be to fill with just water to test and then drain/refill with coolant if it holds.

65beam

Donation Time
heater core

the heater core will start to bulge on each end under higher pressures. the problem after that happens is that it may not be possible to remove the core from the car. many tiger owners have run into this problem. some owners have put clamps around the core to keep the ends from bulging. if it bulges enough you run the risk of it splitting open. then you definitly get wet feet.

bashby

Donation Time
I have contacted Wizard Cooling to see if they can make one that will withstand the "pressure"

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've thankfully not hit the 'bulging core' problem, but couldn't this be pretty easily resolved by applying a vacuum to the core, in order to suck in the sides?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I've thankfully not hit the 'bulging core' problem, but couldn't this be pretty easily resolved by applying a vacuum to the core, in order to suck in the sides?

I wouldnt do that!

The geometry of the internal coolant tubes makes them far less supported under a vacuum compared to under pressure.
The result will be collapse of the tubes and a blocked core.