• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pressure plate

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is anyone able to close out this topic? Is there a roller bearing replacement that is a drop-in replacement for the stock carbon bearing?

Thanks,
Mike

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
As I mentioned in the other thread, George Coleman says the early MG Midget 948cc release bearing is a direct replacement. I haven't been able to find roller version of that.

This listing on eBay is from a guy who makes them in Australia. Pricey at $145 'Merican.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Heal...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3e930186&vxp=mtr

Looking at the fourth picture on the listing, there's a comparison pic of the different size bearings he makes for the different MG series. Does the 948cc one look similar to the Sunbeam one? I can't seem to find my spare to compare it.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
George, I'm not seeing it. For the 948cc, I'm only seeing a $16 bearing that doesn't say anything about roller. Do you have a link or part number?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
fyi
I bought the 190-305 from moss and it is a lot bigger. I think it will not work

Mike,

Did you ever get the Moss Motors 190-305 bearing installed, or was it too large?

I'm in the process of removing my gearbox and I want to replace some of the clutch parts, like the release bearing, while the gearbox is off. I'd prefer a roller bearing over the carbon bearing.

Thanks,
Mike

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Mike,

I looked through these threads but didn't see a definitive answer for your application. Do you have the earlier 8" disk or the later Series V 7-1/2" clutch disk?

If you have the later disk it has a smaller diameter throw out bearing, Sunbeam Specialties has the proper carbon type. An MGA (not MGB) throw out is compatible, but I don't think there is roller bearing version for that application either.

I agree the roller bearing sounds like a good idea, but in practice it might not be better. For one thing if the bearing is not aligned perfectly (throwout arm, transmission, etc.) and the bearing is slightly off center, that roller bearing could wear very quickly, the graphite donut will deal with that just fine. Also, apparently there were some bad quality roller bearing versions for awhile, whether is was a manufacturing quality issue or application issue (as above) people had the rollers last less than 2000 miles.

-Todd

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info Todd. Based on my VIN, I should have the 7.5" clutch components. Good to know the MGA throw out bearing should be a direct replacement. It looks like the only roller bearing option for an MGA may be the Aussie selling them on EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181438448006

Mike

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
After doing some searching it appears that the roller bearing is no longer available. I have an original one here with me and I called around and this bearing has been discontinued. They did sell them at one time even over in the UK it is no longer available. :cool::eek: