• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Power Steering Failure

sd_pace

Donation Time
So I ran into the problem that my steering failed on me luckily at a stop sign. I am not sure what happened but I towed it home and tore it down to find out why. Here is what I found,
IMG_0844.JPG the lithium looked well used,IMG_0846.JPG and a few bearings were missing IMG_0848.JPG
some of the large bearings had split in two, and the bearing ride that turns the shaft was bent and broken IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0874.JPG
but what really surprised me was how much wear was on the screw shaft, look at the sharp edge or lack of it,
I dont think I have ever seen this before

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Steve, looks like your manual steering box failed. Low on grease? When you rebuild try the corn head or cotton picker grease. It will flow around the gear and bearings.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So it looks like circulating ball nut failed and the shaft is toast. Time for a different steering box. I would say new, but there aren't any. Not even any rebuilds. Just refreshened with new balls.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why label the POST "Power Steering Failure" ?

Do you have any thing to show it (EPS) failed ?

sd_pace

Donation Time
Jim, there was plenty of grease in the box I wiped some out to investigate, I felt a crunch while turning left, then it went sloppy, as I stopped at the stop sign a block down the street it stop working. My thoughts its a metal fatigue on the edge of the shaft screw as it goes completely around, that caused the circulating ball nut to bind and split 4 large balls.
Dan, I said power steering as I think that may have contributed force needed to turn the wheels. maybe it did and maybe it didn't. I will stay with the EPS, Perhaps a periodic inspection should be done, I was lucky it didn't go 10 minutes earlier on the hwy.

I guess I am in the market for a new screw shaft and circulating ball nut.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
You would not want to use EP gear oil, the steering box has yellow metal in it. I think grease is to thick for a recirculating ball steering box. A steering box does not move fast enough to thin out the grease, that's why I installed a better seal to hold gear oil. The seal is easy to install, so am not sure why you would want to take a chance with grease.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You would not want to use EP gear oil, the steering box has yellow metal in it. I think grease is to thick for a recirculating ball steering box. A steering box does not move fast enough to thin out the grease, that's why I installed a better seal to hold gear oil. The seal is easy to install, so am not sure why you would want to take a chance with grease.
Because I see no downside to grease. Yes, the mechanism is slow moving, but grease sticks and does not have to be constantly reapplied. Look at the front wheel bearings. Move happily at any speed you like for as long as you like, all with grease that has been in there for 100,000 miles. BTW, the grease is specially formulated to NOT thin out.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is obvious the problem is torque overloading the gearbox. Not lubrication. The Alpine steers hard, that's why guys go to power steering. Can you imagine the torque required to twirl the steering wheel from one lock to the other while parking? The poor little Burman was not designed for such duty.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Because I see no downside to grease. Yes, the mechanism is slow moving, but grease sticks and does not have to be constantly reapplied. Look at the front wheel bearings. Move happily at any speed you like for as long as you like, all with grease that has been in there for 100,000 miles. BTW, the grease is specially formulated to NOT thin out.

Bill
The grease some guys on this site have been talking about DOES thin out and wheel bearing ball bearing are not in a tube like the steering.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I went back and reread, I do remember reading your post.... but cleanly missed the grease:)