• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

PCV and idle issues

zoodragon

Donation Time
So I finally got it running! problem is, it's idling at like 2k rpms.

cliffnotes - purchased from an estate sale in boxes. Series V Alpine.

I had it setup based on a picture the original owner had in his build, but something about how the hoses are routed doesn't sit right with me.

To me, this hose should not be connected to the valve cover. it makes no sense to run vacuum to it.

1693347209794.png

here's the rest of the setup- the top hose connects (with what appears to be some sort of flame trap?? the red thing?) to the air filter housing.
1693347258703.png

Bottom of this goes down into the crankcase.
1693347653549.png

I dont see anything that resembles any sort of PCV system at all on here. Just straight vacuum. The other port on the intake manifold had a dowel rod in it with a vacuum cap so I bet the original owner got a little creative :)

any thoughts on how it "should" be routed?

The other large hose connected to the head is the heater hose of course. Texas vehicle so the heater core isnt connected at the time. I bypassed it until I figured out if it would run or not.

Thanks!!!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I dont see anything that resembles any sort of PCV system at all on here. Just straight vacuum. The other port on the intake manifold had a dowel rod in it with a vacuum cap so I bet the original owner got a little creative :)

any thoughts on how it "should" be routed?

Z-D,

The front vacuum port on the manifold would be the vacuum source for the brake servo booster. It doesn't seem you have one so blocking the port would be appropriate.

The dark, barrel shaped item in the rear port is the PCV. Your system is hooked up functionally correct, but backwards. The PCV should attach to the tappet cover port while the flame trap should attach to the oil fill port and "F" hose which fixes to the air filter ports.

I can't tell if the installed PCV is an original or a replacement. If it is a replacement, then there is a probability it is backwards to how it should flow by design and allows too much air at idle.

If an original valve, the internals may be missing and no metering is going on, allowing too much air at idle.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

zoodragon

Donation Time
Thanks!!!

i knew something looked off. There's no PCV at all. it's just a barb. Hollow on the inside.

I bet I can probably use one from an old chevy. The overall size looks to be about the same.

this is the one I have in mind- the arrow looks to flow from the barb to the threads so it should be the right orientation.

1693356776831.png

alpine_64

Donation Time
The pcv valves are sized.. there is a thread discussing which had the closest "flow" to the factory one .

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Michael noted, flow matters. You can get all technical about it, but using a PCV valve from a similar displacement 4-cylinder engine will get you in the ballpark. Using a PCV valve for a SBC V8 because it has the right form factor is a recipe for idle problems.

zoodragon

Donation Time
ha. the Chevy one I posted was the V100. I have a 283 and it had it on it.

ordered another one to try out. I'll look over the build quality and see if it is something I'd run.

worst case, I'll just plug it. The car idling at 2k rpm is probably worse on the engine than anything not running a pcv would hurt.

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is the one I'm using. It;s one that I found on the forum other members are using.

Attachments

• PCV.jpg
    PCV.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 21

zoodragon

Donation Time
hmm I like that option better thanks. Especially with the warning Hartmandm posted.

Amazon has it under Delco CV1016C for folks who are lazy like myself and don't want to stop at NAPA.