• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Opinions, arguments, and complaints v6 swap infor needed

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose,
He was talking about the T5's. He said all Chevy and Ford V8' were 0.059" and the V6's and I4's were 0.668"

Originally Posted by Barry
OOPS, almost forgot about the differences in the pilot bearing extension on the input shaft. All GM T-5's and Ford V-8 T-5's pilot bearing extensions were 0.590" diameter while Ford V-6 and I-4 T-5's were 0.668".

My original post has been corrected to read:

All GM T-5's had 0.590" pilot bearing extensions. All Ford V6 and V8 T-5's had 0.668" pilot bearing extensions and all Ford I-4 T-5's had 0.590" pilot bearing extensions.

Sometimes I type faster than I think.

Barry

norville

Donation Time
to those that have 2.8's stock or otherwise does the little motor mind turning 3600rpms?? This is a bit foreign to me coming from heavy lugging v8's and I6's

I really do not intend to drive the car more than an hour at highway speeds..

bob

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bob,

The little 2.8 loves to rev. It really doesn´t begin to come alive till it hits 3,000, so 3,600 won´t be a problem. In fact, when the overdrive causes the 2.8 V6 to run under 2,800, the little engine lugs and doesn´t give the best mileage.

When I was young and wreckless and I drove down I-5 at 90 mph for hours on end, it was turning 3,500 at those speeds. The engine loved it. The oil temp went a bit high, but I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil, so no problem

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
to those that have 2.8's stock or otherwise does the little motor mind turning 3600rpms?? This is a bit foreign to me coming from heavy lugging v8's and I6's

I really do not intend to drive the car more than an hour at highway speeds..

bob

No Problemo on the RPMs. The last long freeway ride I had was over 10hrs. This little motor loves to turn. I run 389 Alpine gears and my rpms run 3000@ 60mph, 3500 + @ 70. Run it 60 or 70 the car handles the same after about 90mph car feels light on its feet but then that is only for a short period when some Mustang thinks he owns the road.LOL You will love this little engine build the engine to the max and you wont be disappointed. Next time my engine comes out it will get the V6 T5, a hotter cam and larger valves and will build my 8" Ford rear diff. But hey its running great so when will that be? Who knows.The 2.8 V6 coupled with the 3.8 V6 T5 Ford transmission and a proper ration rear diff and you will have a bullitt proff setup. Others have tried different trannys but the T5 is the one. I dont agree with using whimpy trannys someday you just might need to hammer down and I dont want to see a shower of parts coming out the rear. I had a close call this week when a SUV tried to broadside me. If I hadnot had the instant power of the V6 I might not be writing this tonight. When I realized 4000#s of steel was about to run over my bod the pedal hit the floor and it hit me in the rear bumper. Thanks to God for his protection and rubber bumpers on SUVs all it had was a good bump and a rubber smear. Enough is never enough.
Dwain V6 Krazy