• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Temperature Gauge?

cnalbers

Donation Time
Has anyone installed an oil temperature gauge in their Alpine? What gauge did you use? Where is the sensor installed?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The holbay motors used an oil temp gauge and had the sensor mounted in the oil filter base in what is the blank boss next OPRV in a normal filter base.

cnalbers

Donation Time
The holbay motors used an oil temp gauge and had the sensor mounted in the oil filter base in what is the blank boss next OPRV in a normal filter base.

Hmm... not sure what a "blank boss" is... there is nothing next to the OPRV on mine, just bare flat aluminum. Perhaps that was drilled and tapped? Seems workable.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hmm... not sure what a "blank boss" is... there is nothing next to the OPRV on mine, just bare flat aluminum. Perhaps that was drilled and tapped? Seems workable.
Iirc there is a blank part of the casting on the later spin on style filter base that has an area next to the oprv that is where the temp sensor mounted.
Do yes could drill amd tap that.
Alternatively could buy a complete filter base from UK and get the later style oprv too.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Someone on the forum took a standard Alpine water temperature gauge and replaced the outermost face plate that says "WATER" with an oil pressure gauge face plate. So they had a temperature gauge that had the face plate with "OIL" on it. Very clever. I believe they used the standard water temp sender and may have put the sender in the oil sump, but not sure about that.

Mike

upload_2022-10-15_0-7-52.png

cnalbers

Donation Time
Someone on the forum took a standard Alpine water temperature gauge and replaced the outermost face plate that says "WATER" with an oil pressure gauge face plate. So they had a temperature gauge that had the face plate with "OIL" on it. Very clever. I believe they used the standard water temp sender and may have put the sender in the oil sump, but not sure about that.

Mike

View attachment 27131
This is a great idea. I think I have a spare oil filter base that I can tap for the temp sensor.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
C,

Something to consider if the sender is placed in the filter base, the oil temp being measured will be after the oil has been through the cooler. The oil's travel path is to the cooler before the filter. Just be aware the oil temp indicated will be for oil about to go to the bearings, as opposed to the max temp the oil has experienced.

Just a thought,

cnalbers

Donation Time
C,

Something to consider if the sender is placed in the filter base, the oil temp being measured will be after the oil has been through the cooler. The oil's travel path is to the cooler before the filter. Just be aware the oil temp indicated will be for oil about to go to the bearings, as opposed to the max temp the oil has experienced.

Just a thought,
This makes me wonder if tapping into the cooler adapter base would be better. This would be on the "B" side in the manual, straight from the oil pump. This would place the sensor on the left side adjacent the dipstick.