• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

oil pressure

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have been moving the 62 in and out of the garage so I can do other things.Oil pressure always 65 PSI on startup.The other day I started it and no oil pressure.Man I turned it off quick.So sure it was the oil gauge.Well it takes a bit of time to remove the radio consol and trim.Let down the steering wheel and pull the dash back.There it was.The oil line cracked at the fitting.
What a relief.Told my wife and her response was why did you put the old gauges back in when you did eveything else new.Funny I almost did but everything worked fine and I felt I just couldn't justify new gauges at $450.00 at the time.
Well my new set came today so thats this weekend job on thje car.
The point is if you are using plastic oil pressure lines to the gauge ,REPLACE
REPLACE

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I have been moving the 62 in and out of the garage so I can do other things.Oil pressure always 65 PSI on startup.The other day I started it and no oil pressure.Man I turned it off quick.So sure it was the oil gauge.Well it takes a bit of time to remove the radio consol and trim.Let down the steering wheel and pull the dash back.There it was.The oil line cracked at the fitting.
What a relief.Told my wife and her response was why did you put the old gauges back in when you did eveything else new.Funny I almost did but everything worked fine and I felt I just couldn't justify new gauges at $450.00 at the time.
Well my new set came today so thats this weekend job on thje car.
The point is if you are using plastic oil pressure lines to the gauge ,REPLACE
REPLACE

Dam I think I am dying,,,Laughing,, plastic? :eek: :eek: It is for stationary items, you know tupper ware and picnic forks etc..
Chuck
still laughing......

tigretr

Donation Time
Uhhh, meanwhile, didn't it puke 65psi of oil pressure all over your legs and everything else under the dash while you were waiting for the gauge to read something?

I would guess you have more than just gauges to install this weekend. Clean up, aisle 3!

Brian

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Dam I think I am dying,,,Laughing,, plastic? :eek: :eek: It is for stationary items, you know tupper ware and picnic forks etc..
Chuck
still laughing......

ALL oil gauges are sold with plastic pressure lines.
Not sure what else you would use, copper stress hardens and breaks, the only other option is braided lines which are a little expensive and quite honestly overkill on our cars.
Plastic is actually the safest, most cost effective, "proper" thing to use.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I guess I wasn't too clear on this.
I wasn't knocking or suggesting to replace the plastic line with something else.
I was simply suggesting when the line was as old as mine one should replace with a new one.It was 27 years old and I do believe the line was hard from age and succeptible to failure as mine did.The tubing is cheap enough so cost is not a factor.
Of course I did get just over 177000 miles on the V6 so the line owed me nothing.

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had the thin copper tubing setup on the old and kept it for the new. It broke pretty quickly so I decided to go with an electronic setup. It seems to work. I have really low oil pressure for some reason. I haven't figured that one out yet. It still runs so I still drive it. I guess if it goes out on me I'll rebuild. I was really careful on the buildup so I can't figure out why my pressure is so low. I'm hoping that the electronic guage is reading wrong but somehow I doubt it.
Anyhooo...glad to hear yours was a relatively inexpensive fix. It's always nice when the gal is the one who suggests a new part for our toys. Sure beats coming up with rationalizations of our own :).
Have fun installing those gauges :).
Bryan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
glad to hear yours was a relatively inexpensive fix. It's always nice when the gal is the one who suggests a new part for our toys. Sure beats coming up with rationalizations of our own :).
Have fun installing those gauges :).
Bryan

Brian
My wife is the reason we have been into sunbeams for 43 years.Its all her fault that I have to spend money on them. She wanted one and we ended up owning 7 of them at one time.The odd time I have told her you really don't want to know how much that item cost but then I tell her anyway.The hard one was telling her it was $400 for the gas cap on the Lister.
As to the oil line I was pretty sure it had failed.The hard part was taking things apart to find out it failed.I did know I should have replaced the line but it looked good(????) and the gauge was in good working order.Never again will I do that without really thinking first.
Tons of yard work and this is our long weekend so maybe the weatherman will be right and it will be cold and rainy as usual for the May long weekend.
Then I can work on the gauges