• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'OFF WITH IT'S HEAD'... Brain Tease Contest

agmason54

Donation Time
Just before Christmas I decided to pull the head on my infamous SIIIGT from Vegas. The car's head had #4 exhaust valve stuck open. All the head bolts came out except the rear head stud. It had GROWN into the head.I ended up removing the brake master so I could get enough bite on the stud with a pipe wrench.NO luck.I removed the distributor,oil filter base and side cover to wiggle the head some. NO luck. I then put a bottle jack between the rear course threaded intake manifold bolt and the starter to push the head up.NO luck.Next I used PB Blaster and a whole tank of propane to heat the stud while pushing up with the bottle jack and running the pipe wrench with my foot. No luck.
I was going to weld the stud bolt on to the stud but did not want a cherry red stud melting my aluminum head.
On day four I got the head off without any of the above methods.The operation was a total success.Hallelujah!!!
I want to share this but I am curious as to who can guess how it was done...
I will send a nice suitable for framing photograph given to me by race car driver SIR Geoffry Tedder himself in his #53 Alpine race car 'at speed' to whoever gives me the correct answer!!

Good Luck to all contestants,

Al aka Lemonpusher*

Hint- No power tools,pep pills, black powder, black magic,pet gorillas,devine intervention or internet were used......

*my Ebay handle

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just before Christmas I decided to pull the head on my infamous SIIIGT from Vegas. The car's head had #4 exhaust valve stuck open. All the head bolts came out except the rear head stud. It had GROWN into the head.I ended up removing the brake master so I could get enough bite on the stud with a pipe wrench.NO luck.I removed the distributor,oil filter base and side cover to wiggle the head some. NO luck. I then put a bottle jack between the rear course threaded intake manifold bolt and the starter to push the head up.NO luck.Next I used PB Blaster and a whole tank of propane to heat the stud while pushing up with the bottle jack and running the pipe wrench with my foot. No luck.
I was going to weld the stud bolt on to the stud but did not want a cherry red stud melting my aluminum head.
On day four I got the head off without any of the above methods.The operation was a total success.Hallelujah!!!
I want to share this but I am curious as to who can guess how it was done...
I will send a nice suitable for framing photograph given to me by race car driver SIR Geoffry Tedder himself in his #53 Alpine race car 'at speed' to whoever gives me the correct answer!!

Good Luck to all contestants,

Al aka Lemonpusher*

Hint- No power tools,pep pills, black powder, black magic,pet gorillas,devine intervention or internet were used......

*my Ebay handle

You partially filled the cylinder with oil, closed the exhaust valve, and turned the engine over.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Did you position a bottle jack SIDEWAYS between the head and a fenderwell brace and use it to "twist" the head loose from the stud?

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Come on guys, he put the clue in the post:
". I then put a bottle jack ". It is word play, he got a bottle of Jack and after a bit, well, maybe a little bit more, the solution came to him...

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rotated the head 90 degrees to slightly unscrew it and slipped a hacksaw in the gap and cut the little bugger off.

agmason54

Donation Time
Hey guys,
No- I did not try to fill the cylinder with oil.I had all the bolts out and the#4 exhaust valve was stuck open and then tapped all the way down by yours truly...
The motor turned some but got locked up again by me but I blame the starter.

No -I used the bottle jack from under and not side ways. I snapped off a exhaust manifold stud and then bent the intake bolt into a U. The head was free to move almost clear of #1 cylinder.The frozen stud moved with the threads in the block.When I tried the pipe wrench I put in a headbolt up front to keep the head steady
It was no picnic. I thought I would time myself until it turned into days.When I finally got it off I went home and drank a Black Butte Porter.
Later
Agm

agmason54

Donation Time
That's funny!! Thanks but I had a bottle jack under it but it did not work at all. I could not spin the head enough to slip a blade in there with out hacking up the head.Your are just barely warm like English beer. gotta go
Agm

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Coke or acid dripped on the stud to allow it to seep around the stud/head interface. Soak for a day and pull it off.

agmason54

Donation Time
No- I would never buy any tools from Sears-Like Frank said-'Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho'. I have never heard of a johnson bar and I have no stripped threads.I killed two manifold studs and a head stud.The block and head survived without a scratch.

No-coke or acid. I survived both those eras and never thought of that.All I can say is the stud was practically welded to the head.I sprayed, heated, twisted,beat,bent, tapped and wore the treads clean off that stud. None of all the usual tricks worked even when I did them all at once using my foot. It kicked my ass and almost spoiled my 'undefeated' year.
It baffled me that the sloopy fitting stud could be stuck in that hole.I thought about 'dusting 'it away with a 'Rescue bit' which are great and will 'dust away' a busted off 'EZ out' but that would take forever and I did not have electricity handy. I did not pull the engine and spin the head of the block.I thought if the Aztec's could quarry giant stones I should be able to get this head off......
The kid at the hardware store where I bought my secret weapon said I could bring it back if it did not work.I thanked him, left with a bag of complimentary popcorn two cookies and a glass of fruit punch then headed out for day four..

Al

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Even if this not the method that you actually used you could fit a lifting tackle to the two slinging-eyes and an overhead beam. Then slowly apply a lifting force whilst tapping the frozen stud.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Even if this not the method that you actually used you could fit a lifting tackle to the two slinging-eyes and an overhead beam. Then slowly apply a lifting force whilst tapping the frozen stud

Tony, Off topic a bit but TR7 guys all do this as the heads sieze onto the engine. Not unusual to stand a TR7 on it's tail with an engine puller trying to get the bugger off.

You used an SRT Stud Puller

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Even if this not the method that you actually used you could fit a lifting tackle to the two slinging-eyes and an overhead beam. Then slowly apply a lifting force whilst tapping the frozen stud

Tony, Off topic a bit but TR7 guys all do this as the heads sieze onto the engine. Not unusual to stand a TR7 on it's tail with an engine puller trying to get the bugger off.

You used an SRT Stud Puller

What's an SRT Stud Puller? Maybe we have a different name.

agmason54

Donation Time
Rich- no gear puller was used. Nothing to grab onto...

Tony- no cherry picker or anything overhead but sky. I think the stud would have pulled the whole engine out or bent the head.....

Mike H-sounds like good stuff-never heard of it.

All good answers but wrong.
It took me four days.... here's a clue
I mentioned that I could move the head back and forth.Isn't it funny how it got past the water pump......it reminded me how the Aztecs quarried stone...
forget about every tool you have ever used to wrench on cars....

agm

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
SRT Stud Puller (http://www.srtmanufacturing.com/index.htm)

Aztec quarry stone, hmm. You went to the Yucatan, snatched up a couple of random guys, put them to work and then threw them down a well when you were done. Jeez, am never helping you..

Pre dynamite so a wedge that is softer than steel.

agmason54

Donation Time
11! You are now warm as the Black Butte Porter that ran through me. Go to the head of the class!....but I still have not heard you say what tool I used.It served two purposes. It is a modern version of a simple ancient tool...
If I went back to Mexico I would bring back a pair of senoritas who would feed me and dig me a well while I sat around looking wise.On their day off they could change my oil....
Too bad I'm not Alex Trebek...Here another hint-I used a hammer and my foot and got two uses from the same tool one right after the other.....
Later
Agm