• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Non Rootes seats

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,
I'm looking into putting a newer seat in my V6 project car, what I'm asking is What other seats fit, how you went about figuring out what would fit, and how you like your new seats.

thanks for all your help, Tom j

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As usual, I figured out what does not fit. And while a seat might go into the car, it does not "fit". I bought a set of RX7 seats. While I was able to install them and they are comfortable, They do not fit. They are too wide, jamming the occupants towards the doors. Aim for a seat that is about 19" wide.

Also, the RX seats have a lot of padding in them which do nothing for comfort, strictly eye appeal. It takes up space that was probably available in the RX7, but not in Alpine, hindering access to seat belts, rear shelf, handbrake, etc.

Just stuff to keep in mind if you decide not to go with the Miata seats, which seem to be the proven choice. If you use Miata seats, the later ones (about 2007 up) have provision to hold the shoulder belt in place, which the early ones do not.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tom,

Just wondering what the reasons are for switching seats? You want higher backs or headrests?

I think many people would be surprised by how comfortable freshly and correctly rebuilt stock series 3-V microcell seats are. Most peoples stock seats are suffering from either fractured or flexing frames, worn diaphragms or webbing and perished foans after 50 years, or have not been rebuilt correctly. Rebuilt I think they are a really good seat.

In my series ii which was missing its original seats I installed "cobra classic" bucket seats and runners. Corbeau also make a very similar seat. They are nice and period looking, but are not adjustable for rake on the backrest and sit you a little higher. Also available with headrests.

Cobra classic:

0000235_cobra-classic_600.jpeg

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=466

Cobra classic RS:

cob_classic-rs.jpg

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/seats-fixed-back/cobra-classic-rs-seat

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been running 1972 Datsun 240Z seats for the last 20 years, I did cut the headrest off and welded on the top loop from the stock Ser II seats. If I replace them again I will use 1995 Miata M edition seats, they have removable headrests.
bmw8408DSCN3180-L.jpg

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Mazda MX5 seats work OK. And mounting them is not too difficult.

I have Mazda MX5 seats in both my Alpines. They fit nicely and are very comfortable for long distance driving - 500 miles a day or so.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always felt safer with more modern seats/headrests and have made multiple attempts at non stock seats but never been happy with the results. My apologies for the long post, but I have a bit of experience in this area.

Many years ago I installed a set of TR-6 seats (the one year that had the fold down headrests) and drove with them for a while, but they were really too big for the car. The were easy to mount, as they had the same kind of pivot mounting as the Alpine. I know a lot more about fabrication today than I did then and would like another shot at them, but sadly they are long gone.

My next attempt were early 70's Fiat 124 seats that were given to me by a friend who was junking his parts car. These looked great - like they belonged- but like the TR seats, they sat too high for my comfort, no matter what I did for mounting. It might have been possible to make these work, but they needed to be completely rebuilt (they's sat outside in the rain for a while and stunk!) and I didn't want to invest in seats I didn't think would fit right in the end.

At the moment, I have a Procar Rally driver's seat in my SV. (http://procarbyscat.com/seats/Rally) I really like the way this seat looks, but guess what? It sits high. I've had it there for a little while and have gotten used to sitting a little higher, but the seat is very firm and just isn't comfortable for me. I visited the Procar office while in California a few months ago* and sat in a prototype version of the Rally seat that was wider base and softer padding. That might be a good option if you don't mind the higher seating position, but I am not sure they have released it.

My final attempt will be Miata/MX-5 seats, as others have mentioned here. I have a set of the M-Series seats with the removable headrest (for me, that is a requirement for non Rootes seats, both for looks and to allow removal when using a tonneau cover) that I temporarily installed in my SV a few years ago. Like everything else, they sat higher than stock, but not too bad and I think I might be able to get them even closer with some more fiddling. My plan is to use these in my V6, whenever I get to the point of getting it on the road. They will need to be recovered, so I won't tackle that until I have satisfied myself with the installation.

So, a few final thoughts for anyone heading down this path. First, expect any non original seat to sit higher than stock. Besides my four attempts, I have tried to sit in every Alpine/Tiger I've seen with aftermarket seats and all were higher than stock. While this doesn't bother many owners, it doesn't suit me. There may be something out there that works perfectly, but the only alternative I can think of is to modify the brackets on the floor, which would be a pretty major undertaking. Second, if all you want is head restraints, there is another option; two actually. Bill Blue has modified his stock seats to have a headrest and that looks like a good option if you are recovering them anyway. The second is what I have done, which is to install a roll bar that has a provision for head restraints. I can post a photo of mine if anyone is interested, but I think this is a pretty good option. I am in the process of rebuilding my original seats (repaired frame, new foam, etc.) and will probably just stay stock in my SV. Hopefully, the M-Series seats will work out for the V6.

Jim

*Just one more note for anyone interested in Procar seats. While the seat isn't right for me, I cannot recommend the company highly enough. I bought the seats years ago but it was only recently that I made a serious attempt at using them. In the process, I'd lost a piece of the plastic trim. I contacted the company to buy new trim, but instead they just gave it to me. I spent most of my career helping companies improve their customer service, but don't think I could teach Procar a thing!

jpeifer53

Donation Time
Seats

Just saw this post and decided to weigh in. A friend of mine did the restoration on the car I currently have. It's a 1965 Series V with a 2.3 Ford conversion w/L-3 auto and 8.8 Ford Posi Rear End.
He put Pontiac Fiero Seats in this along with a couple other cars that he has worked on over the years.
In reading the posts I see that most people think that the seats from other cars sit too high. The Fiero Seats are very thin in profile but have a lot of support.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just finished installing late (2007 and up) Miata seats. Not really an easy installation if you are looking for optimum seat location while using the stock seat bolt location. That was probably not worth the effort, as I decided to drill through the rear mounting holes and use 7/16 - 20 bolts, as the seat belts are attached to the seat. Just couldn't see holding my fat ass in the car using 1/4" bolts.

Having said all of that, I'm pretty happy with the seats. But that is without any long trips.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They slide. They go from all the way back to about two inches to close for me. As you know, that should cover any driver that has legs. The drivers seat also has a vertical adjustment, which I managed to salvage. Well, about 90% of it.

In order to keep all the adjustments and have good side to side location, it is necessary to move the inner slider toward the outside. Or at least that's the way I solved the problem. As you know, I see metal surgery as the solution to almost all problems. That is not always the best solution, so I hesitate to say what must be done.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. If you get a chance, I'd love to see photos of the installation. I am still planning on putting Miata seats in my V6 when the time comes and always interested in seeing how others have done it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have zero photos of the seats. I didn't take any of the installation process because it was an improvise as I went along project. I think I went through three sets of attachment hardware before I was satisfied. If anybody is really interested, I can remove the seats and take photos of the bottoms as they are easy to remove/install. I say seats because the passenger and drivers seats have differences that require different attachment hardware.

Also, the 2007 - up seats are different than the previous seat, which seems to be more Alpine friendly.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,
I'm more interested in how they fit, both the car and the occupant. Is the 'bum pad' about the height same as stock? To wide?

You mentioned 'should cover any driver that has legs'. I'm 5-9 with 29 inch legs, shouldn't be a problem. My son is 6-3 with legs to his armpits (we're the same height sitting down). He won't even try to get into my Alpine. In about 98, I looked at a Miata as a daily driver, my head hit the top. Even today, I look out the top few inches of the Alpine windshield. My stock SII seats are ok for dimensions but uncomfortable. If I sat any higher in them, I'd hate them. Are the Miata seats any higher than stock?

While you said you have no install pics, can you post a couple of the installed seats? I want to take part in some long distance drives but the SII seats kill me after about 3 hours.

Thanks

Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
First, a head on shot. Note the seat aligns nicely with the steering wheel.

Next, seat all the way back.

Seat all the way forward. Note there is handbrake clearance, but barely. It's a finger tip operation. No biggie to me as I seldom use the thing.

Lastly seat height. I have no way of comparing to stock stock seat, so I did this:

The white thingy (wife's terminology) is a 2 x 4 laid across the door tops. I measured from the bottom of the 2 x 4 to the rear seat bottom. With the seat all the way back and down, was 19 5/8". With the seat all the way forward and up, 18".

All this is with the bolsters placed about 1/4" from the tunnel. Hey, its a small car.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill. I have the same seats in Ol' Blue - also my gray car. With the seats full forward and the seatbacks in the full recline position a tonneau cover fits very nicely.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very Nice seats!

But I specially like the hood scoop:D

Sure hope to see you and Barb Saturday in Columbia.....