• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Newer Seats In An Alpind Series 2

S

scottylack

Anybody put different seats in this car? I was thinking of a set of 90's Beamer seats... what do you think?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Anybody put different seats in this car? I was thinking of a set of 90's Beamer seats... what do you think?
I would suggest using a set of Series IV/V seats. they fit perfectly and are very comfortable. They don't have those ugly head rests, that break up the clean Alpine lines. Some of my friends have later seats that have head rests, so I'm not putting them down, it's just that I worship the Alpine lines and don't like to see anything that detracts from them.

Jose:)

AlpineII

Donation Time
Don't know about BMW seats. Height and width are the concerns. There's a couple who have used early 90's Subaru seats, from a Forrester I think. The earlier Mazda Miata seats are also supposed to work. There are several period style repros on the market as well.

skywords

Donation Time
The Alpine seats are fragile and if ever rear ended your head is going to hit the back bulkhead with some force. Take it from a man who's head went thru the rear window of a Ford F100, OOOCH:eek: I was struck in the rear by another truck doing 45mph while I was stopped. Later series seats appear to be a little stronger framed. Although this said I am using the early series seats and keeping my eye in the rear view. Just a thought if you are looking for other seats.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
i have always thought the fact the alpine seats fold forward but do not lock in to be a huge safety problem. Yes if you have belts it will help, but the seat is still wanting to act like a catapult, and your waste and shoulders are taking the extra load of the seat trying to escape the car. When i installed the cobra seats i didnt give them a fold forward option as they could not be locked down, but i feel it is much safer

Pumpkin

Donation Time
seats

When I got my ser ll , it had Recaro seats in it,, nice fit and if you have a skinny butt,, they were nice. Head rest and lower side fitting snug,, if you have a skinny butt.
I do like the ser ll seats for a long ride , butt would like some thing abit tighter for the curves..
Final awnser is,,, if ya got a skinny butt, I really like those Recaros.
Mine ain't skinny!!!:eek:

My 2.875p
CHuck

skywords

Donation Time
Ya my butt ain't what it used to be either. All four Alpines I have purchased even the quote restored one has had broken seat backs and required the seat covers to be removed and tube splices installed. These failures where from normal wear and tear, imagine what a rear end collision will do to the seat back. This has been a subject safety experts are adressing on modern cars and finding that our new production auto seats fail during a rear impact.

The early Series seat backs are nothing more than two thin wall 5/8" vertical tubes tide into the seat pan with a whimpy .0 too thin gusset.

Not much we can do if we want maintain the stock appearance of the seats but one should drive accordingly. Be aware of whats coming up behind you. It sucks waking up in the ambulance.

Humor me for a sentence or two, The Boeing Stearman originally was built with wood seats, and they found pilots who had really hard landings and the airplanes were mostly intact, the seats would fail either killing or badly injuring them. When they installed good metal seats injuries were substantially reduced. I still see Stearmans with wood seats and I tell the owners to burn them. Some listen some don't.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, sounds to me like you should take your own advice! Killer seats are killer seats, regardless of where you find them.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Seats with head restraints

I wanted head restraints on my car as it makes me feel safer. I have a bad neck as a result of a motorcycle incedent back in the bad ole days. My car has a 3 point seatbelt system. I say it makes me feel safer even though I am aware:
1-My car weighs about 2300 lbs, :eek:
2-Was built to 1967 "Crash Standards" :eek: and
3-The 5000 lb SUV behind me with the distracted Starbuck's drinking, kid refereeing, cel phone chatting, GPS Guided driver may not see the little blue car who's hard top is lower than his hood. :eek: :eek:

I made every effort to have the guy who did my upholstery duplicate the style of the Alpine's seats, with the exception of the head restraints.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I went to Mustang 2 seats when I did my V6 conversion back in 1979.They needed to be off set a bit at the front.Very comfortable and the passenger can recline.As to comfort we did a trip and were in the car for 28 hours of driving.Mind you this also included stopping for gas and food.Oh yes it included a 4 hour nap.
2 days after that we loaded up the car and trailer and went to the west coast.The head rests are a boon in just being able to lean back.Great back support as well.

skywords

Donation Time
I went to Mustang 2 seats when I did my V6 conversion back in 1979.They needed to be off set a bit at the front.Very comfortable and the passenger can recline.As to comfort we did a trip and were in the car for 28 hours of driving.Mind you this also included stopping for gas and food.Oh yes it included a 4 hour nap.
2 days after that we loaded up the car and trailer and went to the west coast.The head rests are a boon in just being able to lean back.Great back support as well.

Chuck
It sounds as though you have built a very practicle and reliable car. I'd love to see it. The seats I am putting in the Alquad I will try to beef up a bit. I have not removed the covers yet but if they are like other seats I have done they are a mass of rust, cracks and crappy repairs. I wish I had a press big enough to make new pans.

What a great feeling it must have been heading off on a 28 hour journey knowing you have reliable domestic powerplant and drive train.

Rick

skywords

Donation Time
Chuck
That is splendid, That didn't happen overnight. You put a lot of thought into that car, center console is a nice touch. :) The seats look as if they were installed at the factory. Is that British racing green? That's the color I am leaning toward for my car. At the DuPont store they have a Triumph BRG.

Rick

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have recently installed 92 Eclipse seats in my S II. I have to say they are comfortable but they do take up more space than I would like and for a larger person, say over 6 ft. they would not be practical.Mine are all the way back on the rail for me and I am 5'9". Also I do not care much for the high back as it does detract from the lines of the car esp. when the top is down. I p[robably will not keep these seats in my car.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck
That is splendid, That didn't happen overnight. You put a lot of thought into that car, center console is a nice touch. :) The seats look as if they were installed at the factory. Is that British racing green? That's the color I am leaning toward for my car. At the DuPont store they have a Triumph BRG.

Rick
Yes the color is BRG but a Jaguar BRG.Closest I could find at the time

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I forgot to add the steering wheel is replaced and it now matches the interior
I guess I better take a picture of that and post it.Later.