• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Owner, Where to start?

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all,

My partner and I just purchased a 1963 S3 Alpine with little to no knowledge about the car. Turns out she is in bad shape, apparently she has sat for some time due to the oil gauge dropping and previous owner didn't get around to fixing it. So ideas on where to start? Also needs new floor pans all 4 and the trunk needs replacing so would love some ideas on who to talk to about those. we are located in Kelowna, BC, Canada any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hoping to get her running again and back on the road. Also not a lot of mechanical knowledge but very fast learner and good at research I like tinkering with things and making them work. This is not a get her on the road this year project but something I'm assuming will take some time as we are both working full time with 2 young kids

Attachments

• 20230408_161509.jpg
    20230408_161509.jpg
    932.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230413_154808.jpg
    20230413_154808.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230413_154656.jpg
    20230413_154656.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230413_154605.jpg
    20230413_154605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20230413_154452.jpg
    20230413_154452.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230413_154306.jpg
    20230413_154306.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230413_154413.jpg
    20230413_154413.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 30

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dave L in canada makes accurate reproduction floor pans... So that's a starting point.

Here is a thread with his contact details

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Your picture shows it's a series III st in very good condition. Floors almost always rust out. Oil pressure drop when engine heats up most likely is the oil pressure relief valve (PRV) an easy fix. Clicking on the Home tab will have a lot of info.
Series III is the best of the Alpines - early style with fins and late style with large trunk and side fuel tanks. Less than 6,000 were made.
Welcome to the club.
John

Acollin

Donation Time
Congratulations on the project!

I would recommend beginning with a plan. Deside on what you want when all the work is done. Ex. Good driver? Show quality restoration? Or any of a variety of stops along the way. How much money do you plan to put into the project / the budget?

Too many people get under water before they realize how deep the pool is and end up moving on and passing an unfinished project onto someone else. They have spent time and money and never really enjoyed a drive.

If you are unfamiliar with this kind of work, I believe you need to poke around the project and begin to understand what you have. Learn about what you think you can do and understand the cost in having someone else do what you cannot. Ex: buying floor plans is a reasonable start, but do you weld? Do you wish to learn to weld? Are you prepared to buy the equipment necessary to do the job the way you expect it to end up? Riveting in floor plans is an option, but is this what you want when this phase of the project is performed?

May start by creating two categories: 1) Body and paint— 2)mechanical. There are tons of options in each category.

I hope this helps and that I have not scared you off.This forum is loaded with people with talent and expertise who could walk you through any phase of your project. Have fun— ask questions and if you are really lucky one of the gifted members of the forum lives close by.

Be well and good luck. Think wind in your hair on a warm spring day!
Andrew

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
There are over 130 videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube that should help you with most jobs that you are likely to need to do on the car. It looks like a lovely project and I am sure that you will have a lot of fun getting the car back on the road.

Tim R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I had your car, I'd be itching to see if I can get the engine running, then want to see if I can get the car to move under its own power and then stop. :)
Here are my thoughts. Maybe they are not exhaustive.

Engine:
  • Make sure the engine is not frozen. Should be able to turn it by hand (or using the hand crank) with the gearbox in neutral.
  • Low oil pressure - Pull the Oil Pressure Relief Valve to see if it is stuck open. If stuck open, it will divert the oil flow from the oil pump back into the oil sump.
  • Change the oil
  • Pull spark plugs and check their condition (color) and gap
  • Change the coolant
  • Siphon any old gas out of the tanks
  • Add a couple of gallons of fresh gas
  • Manually prime the fuel pump to see if the glass bubble will fill with gas
  • Get a battery
  • Gearbox in neutral, block all 4 wheels, try to start it up !
If you can get the engine running, then work on the clutch hydraulics and the brakes.
  • Try pushing new brake fluid through the clutch and the brake systems (they normally both use DOT 4 fluid).
  • See if the clutch slave moves its push rod when the clutch pedal is depressed.
  • Verify brake cylinders are moving. You can elevate a wheel off the ground and verify the wheel will turn. Apply the brake pedal and verify the brakes are stopping the wheel from moving.
  • Ensure the handbrake works - can test the handbrake using same process as verifying brake cylinders are working. The handbrake is a safety backup in case the brakes don't actually stop the car.
  • Fire it up and try moving a bit very slowly and then stopping.
If you get that far, you should probably change the gearbox oil and the differential oil before attempting longer drives.

Mike

AlsPine

Donation Time
Once you get it running, you should replace the 3 Flexible brake lines, 2 that go to the front calipers and one that goes from the body to the rear "T" on the differential, as if they are original, they may have swollen and become restrictive, then can fail.

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
Dave L in canada makes accurate reproduction floor pans... So that's a starting point.

Here is a thread with his contact details
I actually sent Dave an email last week no response as yet, not sure if he is still in the business.

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
Congratulations on the project!

I would recommend beginning with a plan. Deside on what you want when all the work is done. Ex. Good driver? Show quality restoration? Or any of a variety of stops along the way. How much money do you plan to put into the project / the budget?

Too many people get under water before they realize how deep the pool is and end up moving on and passing an unfinished project onto someone else. They have spent time and money and never really enjoyed a drive.

If you are unfamiliar with this kind of work, I believe you need to poke around the project and begin to understand what you have. Learn about what you think you can do and understand the cost in having someone else do what you cannot. Ex: buying floor plans is a reasonable start, but do you weld? Do you wish to learn to weld? Are you prepared to buy the equipment necessary to do the job the way you expect it to end up? Riveting in floor plans is an option, but is this what you want when this phase of the project is performed?

May start by creating two categories: 1) Body and paint— 2)mechanical. There are tons of options in each category.

I hope this helps and that I have not scared you off.This forum is loaded with people with talent and expertise who could walk you through any phase of your project. Have fun— ask questions and if you are really lucky one of the gifted members of the forum lives close by.

Be well and good luck. Think wind in your hair on a warm spring day!
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, it is a lot of work that I am seeing more and more each time I look at it, but thankfully we have time and hopefully the money to get her done right. My hubby has a couple of welding friends that are itching to get their hands on it lol and I am not planning on retiring for at least another 10 years so hopefully she will be drivable by then

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
If I had your car, I'd be itching to see if I can get the engine running, then want to see if I can get the car to move under its own power and then stop. :)
Here are my thoughts. Maybe they are not exhaustive.

Engine:
  • Make sure the engine is not frozen. Should be able to turn it by hand (or using the hand crank) with the gearbox in neutral.
  • Low oil pressure - Pull the Oil Pressure Relief Valve to see if it is stuck open. If stuck open, it will divert the oil flow from the oil pump back into the oil sump.
  • Change the oil
  • Pull spark plugs and check their condition (color) and gap
  • Change the coolant
  • Siphon any old gas out of the tanks
  • Add a couple of gallons of fresh gas
  • Manually prime the fuel pump to see if the glass bubble will fill with gas
  • Get a battery
  • Gearbox in neutral, block all 4 wheels, try to start it up !
If you can get the engine running, then work on the clutch hydraulics and the brakes.
  • Try pushing new brake fluid through the clutch and the brake systems (they normally both use DOT 4 fluid).
  • See if the clutch slave moves its push rod when the clutch pedal is depressed.
  • Verify brake cylinders are moving. You can elevate a wheel off the ground and verify the wheel will turn. Apply the brake pedal and verify the brakes are stopping the wheel from moving.
  • Ensure the handbrake works - can test the handbrake using same process as verifying brake cylinders are working. The handbrake is a safety backup in case the brakes don't actually stop the car.
  • Fire it up and try moving a bit very slowly and then stopping.
If you get that far, you should probably change the gearbox oil and the differential oil before attempting longer drives.

Mike
Thank you Mike this is an awesome starting point and yes we are both itching to know if she will fire up, I will give hubby your suggestions as he knows more about engines than me and see what happens my job is the body work :)

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
Once you get it running, you should replace the 3 Flexible brake lines, 2 that go to the front calipers and one that goes from the body to the rear "T" on the differential, as if they are original, they may have swollen and become restrictive, then can fail.
Thank you I will take a look at that, the previous owner did mention that they thought there might be an issue with the brakes as it had sat for a long time and when they tried to pull it out his wife pumped the brake and apparently it stuck so that is definitely high on the list to check

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
When I see how good your car looks compared to how bad Alpi was I think that you will have a lot of fun bringing your car back to life. Alpi was rusted out in every possible place and should really have been scrapped but we had a strong attachment to her and wanted to save her if it was possible. When we started my wife and I had only basic mechanical experience and could not weld, By the time we finished 3 years latter we could weld, lead load and fabricate panels. The first car show that we took Alpi to we were awarded a concours prize and we hadn't even entered!

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
When I see how good your car looks compared to how bad Alpi was I think that you will have a lot of fun bringing your car back to life. Alpi was rusted out in every possible place and should really have been scrapped but we had a strong attachment to her and wanted to save her if it was possible. When we started my wife and I had only basic mechanical experience and could not weld, By the time we finished 3 years latter we could weld, lead load and fabricate panels. The first car show that we took Alpi to we were awarded a concours prize and we hadn't even entered!

wow that is amazing work, I really hope we can get her looking like that one day. The bodywork isn't too bad (I have added more pictures) a few spots for sure but the floor is just completely gone. Makes me wish I was still living in England as it seems parts are a lot easier to come by over there. Hubby is going to try to get the engine going and if she fires up then we will start taking her apart and working on the body. My parents are flying over from England in July wish I could fit the floor panels in their suitcases lol

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome to the Club. and to the wonderful world of Alpine ownership. And, thank you for your support! You have come to the right place to get whatever help you need to get the car back on the road.

Replacing floors is a huge, awful job. It is hard to tell from the photos, but how far gone are yours? Could they be patched?

BTW: Just to put rust into perspective, here is the trunk floor from a SV I briefly owned about 20 years ago. That one was too far gone to be saved but it gave its life to keep other cars on the road.

1681591611922.jpeg

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi all,

My partner and I just purchased a 1963 S3 Alpine with little to no knowledge about the car. Turns out she is in bad shape, apparently she has sat for some time due to the oil gauge dropping and previous owner didn't get around to fixing it. So ideas on where to start? Also needs new floor pans all 4 and the trunk needs replacing so would love some ideas on who to talk to about those. we are located in Kelowna, BC, Canada any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hoping to get her running again and back on the road. Also not a lot of mechanical knowledge but very fast learner and good at research I like tinkering with things and making them work. This is not a get her on the road this year project but something I'm assuming will take some time as we are both working full time with 2 young kids

Just curious. Do you know anything about the car's history? My father owned one in the late 1960s here in Florida, looked exactly like this one. I always wondered what became of it after dad sold it.

Ciarianne

Silver Level Sponsor
Just curious. Do you know anything about the car's history? My father owned one in the late 1960s here in Florida, looked exactly like this one. I always wondered what became of it after dad sold it.
No unfortunately I don't have any history on it.