• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New engine

skywords

Donation Time
That's amazing. I am not sure why they use wood for prototype. Maybe just to prove the concept and dimensions? This is more than just a coffee table ornamant. I sent the link to my friend with the Die Cast business and asked him why wood. Thanks for sharing that.

Next time use the insert link button and it will paste as a link. I had to copy and paste in a new window.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, this thing is going to be CNC milled out of a block of aluminum. This block is just a proof of concept, done to prove the programing and determine if the job is doable. For such a mission, wood is tough to beat.

Bill

Pumpkin

Donation Time
that block of wood

Rick, this thing is going to be CNC milled out of a block of aluminum. This block is just a proof of concept, done to prove the programing and determine if the job is doable. For such a mission, wood is tough to beat.

In the early days of CNC, we would have loved to have had a block of alunimum to try out. But an old 4x4 was good enough. We had a contract cutting gear shaft for caterpillar gear boxes. and no one in the shop had seen a CNC till two weeks before we installed the machines and went to school..
Boy talk about metal shavings.. But wood is a great starter.
Thanks for the memory jogger.
Chuck

64beam

Donation Time
While they're at it, machine a Rootes aluminium engine block and twin-cam head :D . What amazing technology there is now :cool: . Thanks for the great video Chuck.

Regards, Robin.