• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need advice...

Airdalebob

Donation Time
Hi gang,
I am new to this site. Looks like a great place for advice. I am chasing the Sunbeam dream! Always wanted a Tiger, but the price has gone through the roof. Like the Alpine, but it's not the V-8 of the Tiger. Then I started to read posts here about the V-6 conversion. I have been tracking a V-6 Alpine on Ebay and was wondering from the members what a fair price for this car would be. What things should I be worried about with this type of conversion.
Thanks in advance for the help..
Bob

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Welcome Bob!
Lets start with the basics. You are looking at a converted vehicle.

1. What shape is the basic Alpine in? Are all the parts there? Is there any rust? It is generally advisable (and cheaper) to buy the best (least rusted) car that you can afford.

2. What shape is the V6 drivetrain in. Does it start & run well? Burn oil? etc. Just like buying any other used car.

3. How well was the conversion done? Who did it and when? Was it done with a kit or from scratch? Was the Alpine rear retained or upgraded. What type of trans was used? Are the ratios appropriate for your intended use of the car?

I would highly recommend a test drive. If the car is too distant for you to drive it personally, see if you can find a forum member to do it for you. The test drive will answer a lot of the above questions.

Price is highly dependent on the condition of the car and the quality of the conversion. It would be helpful if you could post pictures or a link to the advertisement.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I assume you are talking about this car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...3138234?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a18b4f2ba

Jose Rodriguez is very familiar with it and it has been discussed here before. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17532

This is Dean Mitchell´s car. This Alpine has been sold a couple of times in the past year. I think the reason it hasn´t held on to an owner, is that it has a C4 automatic, with a set of 3.00 gears, which makes it reliable, but not a real fun car. The automatic, with those taller gears, makes it slow off of the line. This Alpine is well put together with one of my kits, but I would suggest either swapping out the C4 for at least a A4LD from a Ranger, or preferably a T5 five speed. You could put a lower set of rear gears, like 3.70-3.90, and the overdrive would let you cruise at reasonable engine spoeeds on the highway, while the lower gears would give you a real quick car from a stop light.

If they don´t get crazy with the bidding, I would recommend getting it, if you want a V6 Alpine. You couldn´t build one for what you´d pay for this one. Then the first thing I would do is swap out the auto for a T5.

Jose

I am pretty sure there is more about the car somewhere else on the forum, but think Jose's comments pretty much sum it up. It may be a very good deal, but go in with your eyes open.

Airdalebob

Donation Time
Welcome Bob!
Lets start with the basics. You are looking at a converted vehicle.

1. What shape is the basic Alpine in? Are all the parts there? Is there any rust? It is generally advisable (and cheaper) to buy the best (least rusted) car that you can afford.

2. What shape is the V6 drivetrain in. Does it start & run well? Burn oil? etc. Just like buying any other used car.

3. How well was the conversion done? Who did it and when? Was it done with a kit or from scratch? Was the Alpine rear retained or upgraded. What type of trans was used? Are the ratios appropriate for your intended use of the car?

I would highly recommend a test drive. If the car is too distant for you to drive it personally, see if you can find a forum member to do it for you. The test drive will answer a lot of the above questions.

Price is highly dependent on the condition of the car and the quality of the conversion. It would be helpful if you could post pictures or a link to the advertisement.

Here is the link to the car.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...item2a18b4f2ba

Thanks for the advice....

Airdalebob

Donation Time
I assume you are talking about this car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...3138234?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a18b4f2ba

Jose Rodriguez is very familiar with it and it has been discussed here before. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17532

I am pretty sure there is more about the car somewhere else on the forum, but think Jose's comments pretty much sum it up. It may be a very good deal, but go in with your eyes open.

Thanks for the info Jim. Looks like it's game on Ebay for the next few days!
Hopefully my next question to the forum will be asking for a good shipper to get this car to the east coast....

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
The add says Mustang II front end which is a lot of horse apples.I contacted him and he told me thats what the previuos owner said it had and he would adverise it that way.

I think unless it was one GREAT deal I would be somewhat apprenhensive
I would be sure to check it out as much as possible

That however is my opinion and that might not carry much weight any more

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This Alpine never had a Mustang II front suspension. Someone is trying to make the car more attractive, but don´t know that the stock suspension is better than any Mustang II setup. I don´t know why folks feel the need to mislead someone else to sell them a car. The car has enough positives without having to mislead anyone.

I have expressed my opinion about the car, and think it can be a great deal, if bought right. I sure wouldn´t pay $11K for it though.

Jose

Airdalebob

Donation Time
v-6 conversion on ebay

Looks like the car went for over $12K , a bit more than I would pay....

Still looking for a v6 converson or Tiger if anyone has any contacts.

Thanks for all the help....