• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

mufflers choice, dual exhaust project

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I love the rumble of a nice v8 in my early mustangs and the tone of the inline 6 in my TR6 and big Healey was also hard to beat. I’m not sure I’ve ever hear a V6 that is memorable, including my current set up.

My next shelter in place project is to replace the two rusty can mufflers that are there with 12” long glass packs and running dual exhaust out the back like a Tiger. I’m hoping this gives the V6 some growl.

I removed the battery box and moved the battery to the truck when doing the rust repair, so it looks like I have a straight shot on the right side. The current exhaust is running along side the edge of the pinch weld by the doors, exiting on the left side. I’ll only be replacing tube from the mufflers back and then redo the front half of the exhaust when I’m inclined to modify the frame and swap out the homemade headers.
7FB6929E-E022-414A-A80B-CB2947AE7482.jpeg

Last edited:

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
NorCal, Try my straightback headers They are similar to the Tiger and are tucked up along side the frame away from ground problems lots of cars have.
Hey Dan, could you please post an underside picture of the exhaust routing with your headers. Thanks.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I know lots of Tiger guys that have to wear ear plugs don't let that be you. The last Tiger I sold was a members one owner car and it was stupidly loud. With stock manifolds no headers. I have Magaflow on my driver, drive like there's an egg on the gas pedal and she sounds tame even with headers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is what the set of jose I bought look like from the bottom of my GT. This is why I designed the Straight Back Headers for the V6 .

The 2nd PIC is a MOCK-up in my GT with my Straightback's in the making, the collector is 11" in length recommended by Sven P. Ease of routing the exhaust similar to the Tiger337.JPG 1st Straight Back Headers by DanR DSC04347.JPG

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
My phase 1 will be to keeping the Jose routing and change it to dual outage back. I like your straight back design better, that would be my phase 2 plan, which I should be able to retain what I’m doing now.

Slainte

Donation Time
I like the phrase, "... a V6 that is memorable". My first setup was revised Jose routing out the back with two reversed glass packs. Second version was longer glass packs headed the right direction. Both required earplugs. For me, the goal is something along the lines of a straight TR6. Anybody come close to that?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is what the set of jose I bought look like from the bottom of my GT. This is why I designed the Straight Back Headers for the V6 .

The 2nd PIC is a MOCK-up in my GT with my Straightback's in the making, the collector is 11" in length recommended by Sven P. Ease of routing the exhaust similar to the TigerView attachment 19335 View attachment 19337
How hot does the oil filter get, that close to the header? Do you use a heat shield between the header and starter?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, To look at the filter it seems it is very close, almost touching.... The filter in this picture was one size larger than I use and it was not tilted away from the collector as I position it when correctly installed. There is a "finger" at the top of the Filter Base mount that holds the filter upright as designed by the factory. It is recommended you remove/cut the finger off which allows for angling the filter away from the collector enough to not over heat. A shield can also be utilized if desired.

This picture is a mockup from years ago while I was making lots of changes to V6 Conversion.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
What, no H pipe or X pipe? I have an H pipe on my V6 and it screams beautifully. I'll add though that we were at Laguna Seca for the Historics, where hearing the Ferrari's scream by is always amazing. This one year, there were two Mustangs that for some reason screamed just as beautifully. Seemed so odd for an American V8. Actually, odd for any car other than a Ferrari! So we followed them into the paddocks to ask the owners what was up. They both with to the same spot, in front of a very big RED trailer with a name emblazoned across the side: Edelbrock. We actually spoke to Vic - and he give my sons signed hats and toy racing cars, which they both have to this day. Anyway, he said that those cars had a unique X pipe that they crafted. That's all I know. I couldn't get under the car to see. Interestingly, the Mustangs with the H pipe sounded better at lower rpm - to my ears anyway.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Before I started in on the dual exhaust/muffler project, I replaced a leaky and noisy wheel bearing (1973 Capri rearend). That went well and what's funny is that I can now hear the exhaust without the bearing noise and with its current two small generic mufflers and it actually sounds pretty good. I'm now torn on the glasspacks.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thrush turbo mufflers- quiet as stock at idle but sound good when you punch it! I like the H pipe too.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I’m not sure what effect an H or X pipe would have on a V6 since it’s purpose is to eliminate the standing wave pulse generated in a V8 due to the firing order. Having two cylinders firing in the same bank back to back, which doesn’t happen in the V6. But then, I haven’t heard one with either.

But I have Magnaflow mufflers on my Crown Vic with an H pipe and I like those.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry for the o/t

Crown Vic, last of the great cop cars..
Elwood said....
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Loosely adapted we all know that you would not drive without a converter ;)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
He said loosely adapted. Yes, they came with the 4.6. Not a P.I. though, just a modified 2004 LX. Didn’t intend the thread hijack.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
On the Glasspacks, my general understanding is that they sounds GREAT when first on, but do wear out quickly, and then they are just LOUD. One of the biggest elements of any car for me is its sound. I love the snarl of my Alpine (and the growl of my Tiger). But I hate cars that are loud for loud's sake, that don't have a pleasant sound. I was lucky enough to drive a new Maserati around the other day, with its cool sport exhaust. It was lousy! On WOT it was great, almost Ferrari like (which makes sense). But otherwise, it was literally bad.

Back to the cross over on a V6, I hear you about the need in a V8. Mine was done by my father who raced cars since the 50s, built cars, and was a real rocket scientist. He sure thought there was a good reason for it. As an engineer, he usually wouldn't do something unless there was a mechanical reason for it. I know that is not scientific proof or reasoning. But it's all I got! I'll have to see if I can find out why. (He's not around anymore).

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I should add that the V6 I have is not in an Alpine. It's actually hanging off the back of a VW Bug transmission on a cool kit car. So the pipes are very short. It could be that using the H pipe was to counter something about short pipes on a V6.

Sebring.jpg