• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Is it worth it?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

If it hasn´t blown up by now, it will last for a long time. As you know, these engines are pretty simple, so you can´t make any real bad mistakes. The worst mistakes I have seen done on these engines, (and they are not serious) are not aligning the front timing cover correctly and getting an oil leak, and forgetting to put the two little rubber O rings between the timing cover and the engine block. You have done a great job building your engine. I would love to see what you would think about your Alpine if you had the Hot Rod engine in it.:D

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I use Nero and whatever Windows comes with. I sure would loke to see that video.

Jose

Jose, it is not that I don't have faith in the 2.8 Ford engine, it's just that I did the rebuild. So, I would say there is a good chance I made at least one mistake. But for now it runs really well.
BTW, w/ regard to the video I sent you awhile back. Which program do you use to open video?? We should be able to make it play.

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, I hope you guys aren't tired of hearing about my V6 conversion; because I am not tired of telling you about it.:D
I took the car for a little road trip today and boy what a ride; this motor/trans combination is a real winner. The car feels great on the freeway.
I have newly restored stock wheels, hub caps and trim rings on it. Just put the 4 bolt hubs on this weekend and had the tires swapped from the old wire wheels, and that made all the difference in the way the car feels at freeway speeds.
I can tell you this as well, that the secondaries definetly open on full throttle. It is a real kick in the pants.

If you are working on a V6 project....git 'er done.
You are missing out on a lot of fun.

Did I mention how satisfied I am with this conversion? Oh, I think I did.:D

It is definetly worth it.

tigretr

Donation Time
Coupe,
Take it from me, we don't pump money into these cars expecting any return on investment. I could have paid for a cobra by now. But my heart is in the Alpine. If you love the Alpine, make the changes that make you happy.

Brian

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Here is Joe´s answer to his own question. I hope he doesn´t get mad at me for sharing his e-mail with you before he tells you himself.

Hey Jose,

I wanted to say THANKS for all the help and patience with all the off the wall questions, and some times my frustration with the people that I had to almost argue with on this project. For the greater part it was great to work on the conversion and the parts in the kit were premo.

I'm in the breakin area on the engine and, taking it easy with the drives. It is very tempting to let it go but restraint is a must for abt 500 mi. Sure does wake the car up.

Yesterday I noticed the temp at just over 200 on the gage, but the infra red thermometer puts it at 180 so I need to try to adj the restistance on the gage wire a bit the ambient was 93 outside so all is good.

Anyway

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Joe

Joe is happy with his V6 Alpine now, but as he drives it and gets accostumed with all it´s great characteristics, he will love it.

kmathis

Donation Time
I know about that break-in period; it is hard to stay off of the gas, but the more miles you get on it the faster it will rev. The more I drive it the more I like it.
I put a resistor on my gauge and it helped, but the normal operation temp on the gauge is still around 200 F. but with the infered temperature device it is still running about 185 F.; should I add another resistor of the same ohm? or leave well enough alone?. I only have a 13lbs radiator cap and it has never let out any coolant.
Congrats, Joe.

It is really, really, worth it.

Alan F

Donation Time
Temp Measurement

Where are you guys measuring the temp with the infrared thermometer. The housing around the sensor will be cooler than the fluid running over the sensor. I am still trying to figure out mine, the reading on the housing is 175 F via thermocouple and infrared sensor and reading 225 F on the gauge. I have measured it in a controlled water baths and checked the sensor temp/resistance curve from room temp to about 200F and it was spot on. I plan to pull it out again and do the water bath check. I have not been running it too much until I can make sure it's not running too hot. Where should this engine run?

Alan

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alan,

Are you sure your voltage stabilizer is working? If it's an original type it should be switching On /Off about 2 times per second. If it's a new solid state type it should output about 10 v steady .

Tom

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Alan,

These engines were designed to run hot for smog reasons. They came with a 190 degree thermostat and carry very little water. If your engine isn´t spitting out water, either when it is running or when you first shut it off, I wouldn´t worry about it.

Typically, I measure the temp at the top tank of the radiator. That is where the hottesty water will be.

Jose

Where are you guys measuring the temp with the infrared thermometer. The housing around the sensor will be cooler than the fluid running over the sensor. I am still trying to figure out mine, the reading on the housing is 175 F via thermocouple and infrared sensor and reading 225 F on the gauge. I have measured it in a controlled water baths and checked the sensor temp/resistance curve from room temp to about 200F and it was spot on. I plan to pull it out again and do the water bath check. I have not been running it too much until I can make sure it's not running too hot. Where should this engine run?

Alan

coupe

Donation Time
Temp

Hey Kelly, Yep measureing it at the tank top, and the tank bottom to see the diff. I had it out yesterday and poked it up to 3500 r's been keeping it 3000 or less and vary careful not to keep it at one set rpm, up and down to load it some then ease it, only have 30 miles on it. I'll wait till I get more on it before I see if the secondaries open. I promised myself I won't pull the trans till I get the break in done, then I may look into the 2d gear syncro problem.
Pulled a good one friday, I let some smoke out of my wiper motor, No biggie I went to my wire spool and installed a new wire that is full of smoke and we are back on track again HA!
Joe

Alan F

Donation Time
Temp Measurement

Thanks for the info. I'll do some measurements on the radiator tanks as well. I had a leak I finally found and fixed on the rear piece of the thermostat housing. With a 190 F thermostat, what should I measure on the tanks?

Tom- The gauge is an aftermarket Speed Hut unit that came with it's own sending unit and all the wiring is modern and new. Should be okay, but I will check that it's getting 12 volts.

Jose - Do these engines heat up real quick? This engine seems to not waste any team getting to temperature. I'm still playing with the timing and carb. I need to get the exhaust system on it since working on it with the open headers makes it hard to think and is almost abusive. :)

Thanks again,

Alan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Alan,

I haven´t found the 2.8 to heat up much quicker than any other engine. You may have a problem with the gauge or it´s sender. Does the engine spit out water at any time? If it isn´t losing water, I wouldn´t worry about it.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I just received this e-mail from my customer that had the Toyo-pine, then later built a V6 Alpine. He doesn´t drive the Toyo-pine very much any more, because it isn´t very exciting. I will let John speak for himself.

I took the V-6 to Pleasanton this weekend, where it continued to get a ton of attention. There is a possibility it might appear in the Good-Guys mag. A photographer took some photos of it, and since he was driving around in a cart with a lot of equipment , we assumed he was more or less official. We may take the Toyo-pine to a car show in San Jose this coming weekend and, if we do, I'll let Steve know.
I ran into a guy I gave your name to years ago, at the Good-Guys event. He said he bought your kit, but still has not put his car together, having moved in the interim, and started another project, a Valiant!
As always, I encourage these guys to get the cars on the road! We have over 25,000 miles on our conversion, with no problems due to the installation.

JOHNO

You guys that have had a kit for years, but haven´t put it together, you don´t know what fun you are missing out on. I want to encourage you to "Giter Done"!

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Joe,

I would like to know if you´ve gotten your Alpine broken in yet? How does it perform? How many miles have you driven it now? Please fill us in. OK?

Jose

Here is Joe´s answer to his own question. I hope he doesn´t get mad at me for sharing his e-mail with you before he tells you himself.

Hey Jose,

I wanted to say THANKS for all the help and patience with all the off the wall questions, and some times my frustration with the people that I had to almost argue with on this project. For the greater part it was great to work on the conversion and the parts in the kit were premo.

I'm in the breakin area on the engine and, taking it easy with the drives. It is very tempting to let it go but restraint is a must for abt 500 mi. Sure does wake the car up.

Yesterday I noticed the temp at just over 200 on the gage, but the infra red thermometer puts it at 180 so I need to try to adj the restistance on the gage wire a bit the ambient was 93 outside so all is good.

Anyway

Thanks Thanks Thanks

Joe

Joe is happy with his V6 Alpine now, but as he drives it and gets accostumed with all it´s great characteristics, he will love it.

coupe

Donation Time
Hi Jose,
I had to write back abt the alpine. I haven't gotten it broken in all the way, have over 2 hundred miles on it though and it runs very well. I wanted to take it down this winter to fix the 2d gear blocker ring, it still grinds in that gear,
but work and other projects took over my limited spare time and I don't want to have it apart in good weather so it might wait till nxt winter. I know it is a good amount of work just for a syncro but so goes it. If anyone ever asks " if it's worth it " let them read this YES YES YES!!! It's hard not to drop the hammer when you are in it cause it wants to go. Hope all is well with you. Till next time
JOE