• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Installing bonnet

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is there a trick are good advice on installing the bonnet? I have tried twice now only to have it not properly adjusted and the pull latch will not release it. Going from under the car to undo the front hinges is getting old!!!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I know this is a day late and a dollar short but the trick I used was to make 4 "cheater marks" (or indexing marks) on the outside corners of the hinges and bonnet, before I pulled it off. When you pull it off you should end up with what looks like 8 dots, 4 on the bonnet and 4 on the hinges-2 on the right and 2 on the left. when you put it back on, it should look like 4 again. On reinstallation all I did was line up the marks which got me close. Made some minor adjustments and it was fine. About 15 minutes to get it right.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Nick, Yep that is a day late! lol I had the hood painted so all marks woudl have been painted. That is great advice to all that may have to remove their hood for other reasons though.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
All hinges should be predilled with a 1/8th inch hole both sides of the hinge before any disassembly or after being adjusted perfectly.This way a 2 inch nail in the holes will automatically line up the hinge

As to lining up the latch this is what I did the first time for adjusting it.I put masking tape across the latch.Greased the latch pin and kept doing till the pin hit dead center of the hole.You can wire the latch lever so in case you found it shut on you just pull the wire that you left long enough to be on the outside.Yes I drill the 1/8 th hole in the latch and the latch pin mounting plates.One on each side

agmason54

Donation Time
Installing Hood

This is my way-
Find volunteer
Remove striker
Lay hood in place
Bolt hood on from bottom
Now install and adjust striker
No need to mark anything or drill anything........
(unless you like doing things that way)
Slick Al

RootesRich

Donation Time
The way the Factory did it (as per a Rootes Service Bulletin I saw years ago) was to bolt the hinges to the bonnet without the latch installed and adjust to get even space around the edges.

Then install the latch mechanism and to ensure proper alignment, place a rubber bung in the receiver, chalk the tip of the male end and drop the hood down. The male end will leave a mark on the bung and you then adjust the position of the latch until the mark is centered in the bung.

With this method, it's usually taken me 3 or 4 times before I get the alignment centered.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Rich, Sure sounds easy! lol I'll give it a try tonight after I crawl up under the car one more time to loosen the hinges and set her free.

Cheers,

agmason54

Donation Time
Installing hood

That is just what I described and I have never even seen a Rootes bulletin...The only thing is you bolt the hood down last after the adjustment are made and not before........
Good luck
Al

RootesRich

Donation Time
That is just what I described and I have never even seen a Rootes bulletin...The only thing is you bolt the hood down last after the adjustment are made and not before........
Good luck
Al

My apologies Al. I totally misread in your post where you mentioned how to adjust the hood latch mechanism. I'm usually pretty good about not repeating advice in previous posts, but obviously erred this instance.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
I got her in place. I took a 2 inch strip of painters tape and covered the hole. As I eased the bonnet down it allowed me to see right where the hole was being punched in the tape and after a couple of adjustments she closes fine.
Cheers,

agmason54

Donation Time
Rich,
It's all good.
Todd.
I'm glad you got it.Back in the day I used to get two helpers to hold the hood and bring the hinges up to the hood and bolt it down. I've done everything the hard way you can do on Alpines. I never realized you could even see the hood bolts with the hood down until one day I was on my back probably doing something else the hard way and l looked up and noticed the hood bolts from below.I thought to myself- Damn!!!!-I could of had a V8!!!! Maybe that is how the idea for a Tiger was born...Maybe not......
later gentlemen,
Albert

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I got her in place. I took a 2 inch strip of painters tape and covered the hole. As I eased the bonnet down it allowed me to see right where the hole was being punched in the tape and after a couple of adjustments she closes fine.
Cheers,

Glad you managed to get it right.Does it pop up easily as well?

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
It does pop up but it is not latching into the second clip which holds it down close. The female latch that it goes into is not allowing the latch to catch. It looks like the piece is not coming out far enough. So I am going to take it apart and see if that can be fixed. If not, that part will get replaced. I will pay close attention to where it is located prior to removing! lol

Cheers,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It does pop up but it is not latching into the second clip which holds it down close. The female latch that it goes into is not allowing the latch to catch. It looks like the piece is not coming out far enough. So I am going to take it apart and see if that can be fixed. If not, that part will get replaced. I will pay close attention to where it is located prior to removing! lol

Cheers,

When I take things off like hinges, bonnet latches, etc. I usually use masking tape around the item being removed. Then just replace it within the bounds of the tape. You could also use pencil markings, but they are easily rubbed off and also can mar the finish.

RootesRich

Donation Time

Cheers,

You need to adjust the length of the female latch. If you're careful, you may not even need to disassemble everything as there's a slot at the tip of the female end for a screwdriver. Try giving it one full rotation in and close again. I will caution you though that every time you make an adjustment, verify the latch is centered. Otherwise... well you know.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time

Cheers,

You may need to adjust the latch pin that is on the hood by a turn or so.
I had one that after ajdusting it needed 2 thick washers to add to the spring tension allowing the hood to pop us much easier.Over time I guess the spring lost some of its tension
Also make sure your hood bumpers are letting the hood sit even with the body.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've read about them here and studied the actual latch mechanism and am still a bit puzzled and still have difficulty getting the latch to operate smoothly. Here's what I see. As noted the latch actually is a double latch. One is the primary and one is a "safety" latch, just like on most cars today. I'm not sure why it has a "safety" latch, since the bonnet opens at the rear and it would not be a serious problem if the primary latch failed.

I think the primary latch is the one that catches the head of the pointy-tipped round rod. The spring that surrounds this rod pushes the bonnet up enough when the latch is released so you can get your fingers under the edge of the bonnet. This spring also creates some tension when closed so the bonnet does not rattle. I think this latch causes no problems, once lined up properly and lubricated with a bit of grease. Most of this discussion has been about getting this lined up properly.

The safety latch is the lever that projects up from the latch plate, shaped like the letter A with one leg removed. This latch catches on the metal bracket held in place by the same round rod as the primary latch. It is my assumption that when all is set correctly, and the bonnet is closed, this safety latch is actually not in contact with its mating bracket, but sets a few thousandths of an inch clear of it, and would only actually touch it if the primary latch failed. If the primary latch failed, then the spring would push the bonnet up a tad, to where the safety latch would then hold it "safely"

When the bonnet is closed, and the Bonnet handle inside is pulled, first the safety latch moves, and it moves easily because it has virtually no friction, since its normal closed postion is NOT in contact with the bracket on the bonnet. Then as the Bonnet handle is pulled further, the well-lubricated Primary catch releases the pointy headed rod and the spring pushes the bonnet up far enough to clear the latch and allow you to put your fingers under the edge of the bonnet to lift it up. This smooth, easy, action is what SHOULD happen, when you pull the Bonnet handle.

On my Alpine, the Bonnet handle is a bear to pull. I have broken both halves of the bakelite T from opening the bonnet. I am 99% sure the problem is that, when the bonnet is closed the safety latch is in contact with (and under tension from) the bracket on the bonnet. I've done some bending of the bracket and adjusting of the pointy rod, and it's better. When it gets warmer out next Spring I'll try some more.

Does this description match other's understanding?

Tom

RootesRich

Donation Time
Tom, based on my experience I believe you're right on the money with your analysis of the function as well as the cause of your issue.

Thinking while I'm typing... to solve your problem, I believe you need to adjust the length of the primary latch starting one full turn out to start which should relieve the tension between the bracket and the safety latch.

Some where in my files I have an article on the black art of bonnet latch repair/ adjustment. If I can find it in the near future, we'll post it in the Tech Data.

BTW, as far as the need for a safety latch I've seen a crosswind lift up an unlatched Alpine bonnet while traveling at 50mph. Not a pleasant experience.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
With the hood open have someone pull on the handle while you watch the latch. It should pull clear of the hole to get a clean release. I would also check the pin for excessive wear. I had the same issue when I went from cable to a solid rod release.