• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

In the buff

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: 50-100 milligrams of potassium cyanide - between one fiftieth and twenty-fifth of an ounce - is fatal in seconds.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Rick, you're a brave man to just trust the bumper bolt nuts to attach the rotisserie bar, hopefully you re-enforced the welds that held them. My view is that it is their sole purpose. I went with 7/8" x 2' solid bar stock in the jack mounts in addition to the bumper bolt location to mount mine. I like the added safety provided by the upward angle especially since the the car is almost three and a half feet off the floor. cheers, Jeff

skywords

Donation Time
Right you are Jeff. I did it the way because I saw someone else doing that way. Monkey see monkey do.... You will see in a previous post in this thread I talk about using the jack points as a much better attach. Maybe you can post a picture of your rotissary for everyone? Hopefully keep others on the right track.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think we tend to overdo on this kind of stuff. The shell weighs maybe 750 pounds? Four attachment points = 187 pounds per point. Not a terrible amount. I made my rotissorie out of wood, mostly to make that point and save some money, as I had the lumber laying around the garage. Just had to buy casters. It worked fine, but I was never comfortable when wheeling the body in and out of the garage. I was pretty sure the vertical strength was fine, not so sure about lateral strength. Jan S. about stroked when I posted the pictures.

There used to be a couple of guys that really did it their own way. One guy made plywood disks that he bolted to the bumper attachments and rolled the thing around. Another just used laid the body on old bed springs and rolled it on them. Need lots of help to do that.

Bill

BTW, even though the Rotissorie was made of wood, I used the jacking points and bumpers mounts to attach it to the chassis. You figure that one out.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I'll get some pics of my rotisserie next Wednesday as its the only time I can spare to work on my car right now. It's a little over kill with the materials I used. Built it out of 3" X 5" trailer stock and other scraps donated to the cause. The only things I bought for it, like Bill, were the wheels.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Here are the pics on how I attached my car to my rotisserie. I used a pieces of 2" square stock four foot long for cross bars with holes drilled to attach them to the bumper bracket nuts. Then inserted four 12 inch lengths of solid square stock into the jack receptacles until they were bottomed out. Approximatly 7 inches in the front and five in the back. I then tied them into the cross bar with pieces of angle iron. The depth of the bar stock in the jack receptacles adds a lot of rigidity and strength to the attaching points plus additional safety and piece of mind when the car is hanging perpenducular to the ground for long periods.

skywords

Donation Time
Nice job Jeff that looks very stout and professional. I'd be proud to have that rotissary in my garage.