• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Identify these wheels?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
A friend bought a set of these wheels at an estate sale but doesn't know the brand.

I don't either but would guess they are Panasports with the familiar 4 x 108 lug pattern.

Can anyone verify this, or or if not, identify them correctly?

Thanks in advance,

-Allan Ballard
Series I Alpine (Darkside v6)
Mk1a Tiger
panasport.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Given the squared rim they are not panasport or superlite. The minitlites have a squared rim.. But they will also have the name caat on them.. I cam see text in the casting between the spokes on the left.. What does it say? Is it size and offset...or a word?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
They look like the old Westerns that I had on my Series IV.
There were a lot of these types made by a lot of different manufacturers.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks fellas.

I sent Michael's note onward and should hear back within several days. I'll file a post when I
hear back.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was also thinking of the Saab wheels. But the shape of the spokes are different. And the center of the Saab wheel is a bit concave.

65beam

Donation Time
The spokes look to be more like the Minator Classic that Revolution makes. I have both the Minator and VTO wheels of this style and the Minator have a sharper peak on the spokes. The green car has Minator , the LeMans has VTO and the 69 has Minator110_0754.JPG 107_1004.JPG 100_0192.JPG

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
A friend bought a set of these wheels at an estate sale but doesn't know the brand.

I don't either but would guess they are Panasports with the familiar 4 x 108 lug pattern.

Can anyone verify this, or or if not, identify them correctly?

Thanks in advance,

-Allan Ballard
Series I Alpine (Darkside v6)
Mk1a Tiger
View attachment 19601

alpine_64

Donation Time
@allan, still no confirmation of the text inbetween the spokes? Have they checked for any stamping ID on the backs of the wheels?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok good to know. They are the ones VB use to sell ( still sell?) They are more at the lower cost scale of the minilte style wheels and made in China.

They used to be by KN wheels and made in the UK but switched production.

65beam

Donation Time
Minator wheels are a product of Revolution Wheels in the U.K. They have several dealers in the states including Moss Motors. The Moss price is $169.00 each. The Revolution site shows their full line of wheels. I recently bought a second set of VTO wheels from VB.

Last edited:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm considering a set of the Minator wheels for my v6 Alpine in 14" with splined knockoffs, using Alpine stock splined hubs.

Any thoughts on whether the increased torque to over 100 ft pounds presented by the v6 would exceed the strength of the splines?

I "hear" that it would but don't see any hard info online or accounts from first hand experience.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Shelby ones are pictured on CAT a guy has come in and is going out of the revolving door of Tigers. Probably cause he has 6 or more play cars. He's told me he's selling the entire as found pile o stuff . Hoping an Alpine guy can step up sideways or whichever direction he thinks it is. Don't pay retail it's for chumps :)

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks. I'll take a look.

The knockoff Minator's I'm looking at are used, but barely. They are the 8 spoke variety.

And they are 14" which is to the good I think.

The Shelby wheels are probably 15". I would have to weigh whether that's a direction to take.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Y'all should have seen the meltdown at a United for a really hot driver nearly driving the stock wheels off his restored MK1. I took apart one and that car had a really loose fit. Sorry for the survey of one but considering the ask here . 90 hp up to __? plus are you going to have a stock rear end... It is a really cool look if you can change to real shoes when you want to drive like it like you stole it or rented it. ;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm considering a set of the Minator wheels for my v6 Alpine in 14" with splined knockoffs, using Alpine stock splined hubs.

Any thoughts on whether the increased torque to over 100 ft pounds presented by the v6 would exceed the strength of the splines?

I "hear" that it would but don't see any hard info online or accounts from first hand experience.
Alan... If worried about the torque of the v6 on the splines you could look into a set of the bolt on spline adaptors for the healeys or TR6... Maybe speak Dayton wheels?