• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hub upgrade

Hotrodder

Donation Time
Q: I will switch out the rearend with a 9" 5 lug.
I want the front hubs to match. is there a 5lug crossover reference for the frint spindles?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Q: I will switch out the rearend with a 9" 5 lug.
I want the front hubs to match. is there a 5lug crossover reference for the frint spindles?

Ford 9" rear axles used at least two different 5-lug patterns; which pattern are you referring to?

AFAIK, there is no cross-reference for a production hub that fits the Series Alpine stub-axle (aka, spindle), works with the Series Alpine disk brake setup and has a Ford 5-lug pattern.

Hotrodder

Donation Time
Ford 9" rear axles used at least two different 5-lug patterns; which pattern are you referring to?

AFAIK, there is no cross-reference for a production hub that fits the Series Alpine stub-axle (aka, spindle), works with the Series Alpine disk brake setup and has a Ford 5-lug pattern.
wow!none in this day and age...

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
They are easy to drill, I did mine to match the RX7 rear axle I used. What motor are you running to need a 9"?
hub-XL.jpg

RIMG0420-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
there has to be something that cross over from another MFG

Are you serious? You think" in this day and age" it's more likely that there will be a hub to cross over to a 60 year old British car that was somewhat obscure at best in period?

As stated... you can drill the stock front hubs for your 5 lug....what is the PCD of the wheels you are running 5 x what ? You will need to measure the offset from the existing holes to ensure the new ones aren't too close.

Also given there was an option suggested for a blank hub that is designed to fit the car what's the issue there... cost? Did you contact them to find out cost/availability?

What brakes are you planning to run on the front, what callipers ? If there was a hub from another car that would bolt on what are the odds of it having the same track width? Are you aware of the issues with wider track and or larger rolling radius and the trailing edge of the front valence?

Hotrodder

Donation Time
if it was a tiger, is there an up grade for the tiger?
Are you serious? You think" in this day and age" it's more likely that there will be a hub to cross over to a 60 year old British car that was somewhat obscure at best in period?

As stated... you can drill the stock front hubs for your 5 lug....what is the PCD of the wheels you are running 5 x what ? You will need to measure the offset from the existing holes to ensure the new ones aren't too close.

Also given there was an option suggested for a blank hub that is designed to fit the car what's the issue there... cost? Did you contact them to find out cost/availability?

What brakes are you planning to run on the front, what callipers ? If there was a hub from another car that would bolt on what are the odds of it having the same track width? Are you aware of the issues with wider track and or larger rolling radius and the trailing edge of the front valence?
well, yes in this day and age. there are a lot of parts that cross reference each other.
And different years and manufactures use the same specs throughout the years.
seems like I hit a nerve here, asking this question and communicating with others.
I do not have a particular set of wheels picked out for the situation, on the Power Plant it will be a 302, T5-5 speed
using a 9 inch rear end, so don't bust it up.
Brake calipers a four piston system.
I plan to drive his car hard.,

Hotrodder

Donation Time
if it was a tiger, is there an up grade for the tiger?

well, yes in this day and age. there are a lot of parts that cross reference each other.
And different years and manufactures use the same specs throughout the years.
seems like I hit a nerve here, asking this question and communicating with others.
I do not have a particular set of wheels picked out for the situation, on the Power Plant it will be a 302, T5-5 speed
using a 9 inch rear end, so don't bust it up.
Brake calipers a four piston system.
I plan to drive his car hard.,
yes I'm serious, that's why I presented the question and made a statement,
Please contact yourself as a responsible adult, and discuss the information if you have any but critiquing someone's post seems a bit not adult like.
Thank you for the information you shared

alpine_64

Donation Time
yes I'm serious, that's why I presented the question and made a statement,
Please contact yourself as a responsible adult, and discuss the information if you have any but critiquing someone's post seems a bit not adult like.
Thank you for the information you shared
I answered your request for information respectfully and gave you 2 options, your response was to tell me that there has to be something that crosses over from another mfg.... ok well I guess my knowledge base on the rootes group cars isn't as extensive as yours.

As for how over time you believe there would be a greater chance of a cross referenced part that would work...again I refer to my comment on when these were made and the more obscure, especially stateside, range of cars the sunbeams were part of.

If you swap out the front end for mustang II A arms and spindles as has been done sometimes then you can use different hubs.

Good luck with your V8 conversion.

The group on here is helpful and answers questions openly and honestly.... if you have issues with the maturity of response, I suggest being less dismissive to those trying to assist you.

I might also suggest you try and provide more comprehensive background to your questions as it may alter your approach to other issues you may encounter... like the track width issues re front bodywork...

Best of luck...

As a side note it's "conduct" yourself and "front" spindles

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
With that power plant, I would look at Wilwood brakes for a Tiger, they may be able to drill to your specs. I am running a Mazda Miata running gear with rear disc brakes and wish I had more powerful brakes.
IMG_3843-X2.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Wilwood has a front disc brake kit that includes a 4 lug hub for the Tiger. You can weld up the 4 hole pattern in the stock hubs and drill a 4.5 x 5 Ford car pattern and then you have to figure out a custom brake rotor and caliper. I think you misunderstand the helpful guys here. The 9" is a little big and if you can find a Postal Jeep or 72-75 CJ5 Dana 44 rear it will be an easier conversion.

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
FWIW, I have seen references to using ford Ranger rotors on the Sunbeam spindles. This would give the ford pattern 5x4.5. As I was going to use a ford 8" this seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately no details on the swap were given. I gave it a cursory look and it seemed like it might be doable. Only issue I saw was one of the Sunbeam bearings is a smaller ID than the ford. Seemed like a sleeve adapter to increase the bearing spindle OD I believe for the inner bearing would have made it possible.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
FWIW, I have seen references to using ford Ranger rotors on the Sunbeam spindles. This would give the ford pattern 5x4.5. As I was going to use a ford 8" this seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately no details on the swap were given. I gave it a cursory look and it seemed like it might be doable. Only issue I saw was one of the Sunbeam bearings is a smaller ID than the ford. Seemed like a sleeve adapter to increase the bearing spindle OD I believe for the inner bearing would have made it possible.

Do you have links to those references? It might be possible to cobble up some way to put a Ranger hub/rotor on a Series Alpine stub axle, but I believe that all of the Ranger hub/rotors are too large in both diameter and thickness to work with factory Series Alpine calipers.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, I have a picture of it on my computer somewhere. I think it was the Grassroots motorsport car. I linked the pic to Fonz when he was working on his. The early Ranger with 10.23" rotor/hub was used with a bearing spacer is what the owner told me. I know you would have to make a caliper adapter. I'll look for the pic.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I just have to chime in here, first if you are looking for different hubs good luck. buy the Tiger kit from Wilwood which includes hubs machined specifically for the spindle which is the same as the ALPINE by the way! you be better off $ wise in the long run. trying to afro this stuff just doesn't work very well. you can plug the hubs as said here and re drill to whatever pattern 5x5.5 etc. Second you can use mustang spindles either changing the taper or fit Moog joints#772 to the arms and use any number of brake kits available. you can buy weld on ball joint sockets from everywhere and as Jim said I wouldn't be using a inch (I use 8.8s because their cheap)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
And here's my fix for a Too Wide front track

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_090623461.jpg
    IMG_20201105_090623461.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201105_093937767.jpg
    IMG_20201105_093937767.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201105_093942110.jpg
    IMG_20201105_093942110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201105_090545824.jpg
    IMG_20201105_090545824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201105_141224937.jpg
    IMG_20201105_141224937.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
This guy used a trailer hub with spacer tube inside the bearing in his TR7 brake conersion.