• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How to replace SIV Alpine windshield rubber?

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
The windshield rubber of my 65 Alpine has deteriorated to the point that the windshield is no longer secure. I have purchased from Sunbeam Specialties replacement rubber that goes around the windshield and below the frame.

My initial contacts with two of the biggest winshield replacement companies in Dallas have been disappointing to say the least - one of them told me that 9 of 10 intact windshields the remove break upon removal! Needless to say, I told them they would not get their hands on any car of mine!

So, whether I have to do the work myself or tutor some "windshield guy", I want to read about how it should be done on a Series IV Alpine. Can anyone direct me to a shop manual or tutorial with this information? As always, thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

PS I have searched on this forum and found several threads relating to this subject, but all that I found dealt with specific issues and not an overview or "how to". My Internet searches have had the same results.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Take a razor blade and cut the outside lip off the old gasket rubber, then just lift the glass out. No pressure or prying involved. If someone has glommed(technical term) silicone sealer around to try to stop leaks in the past, more cutting is needed, but it's still not a problem.

However...whenever working with glass, there is ALWAYS the chance of cracking it, and old glass seems to be a little more unforgiving. I don't know if age makes it brittle, or if over the years, microscopic abrasions and chips create stress risers. Brand new windshields can crack. Ask me how I know that...LOL

Take the windshield off the car to work on it. You did good by buying the SS parts, costs more but it's MUCH easier to work with. And be careful removing and installing all the trim pieces, its tedious work.

Also...be sure and buy the windshield adjuster bolts Rick sells, I didn't and wish I had....If the windshield ever has to come off again, I won't re-install it without them.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you for the information which is very useful, but leads me to ask another question:
1. Just how does one remove the chrome trim? Is there a special technique or sequence, or tool?
2. Are there any special sealants or lubes (like rubber lube) used to install the rubber around the glass or under the frame?
3. Do any other tips come to mind? I will order the windshield adjuster bolts as you suggest.

Thank you again.

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
The bottom trim is captured in a groove on the windshied gasket and also fits behind the cowl rubber. It will come partly loose when you remove the windshield frame from the car. There is 2 pieces on each side of the frame, one is held by screws thru both pieces. After it's removed the second piece is held on with pop-rivets. Try to keep track of which holes use rivets and which uses screws because the holes are different sizes. After you remove the catches for the top hold-downs the top piece of trim just pops off, but its also got a grovve in the windshield gasket to hold it.

I never use any sealer between the glass and gasket, but opinions vary. Use dish soap to slick things up when installing the windshield back in the frame. The manual calls for a caulk like sealer between the cowl gasket and cowl. I used plumbers putty and rolled out a long string about 3/8" thick and laid it right at the end of the dashpad. It's worked so far.

Take your time..If you get aggravated, walk away for a while. Also, NOW is the perfect time to replace the dashpad if it's needed. The windshield frame will have to come back off to do it later. HTH

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I had a windshield in my series 5 replaced by someone located downtown (Deep Elum) I believe on Main Street. He did the job OK for around $75.00 around 7 years ago. Did not make any guarantees on cracking the windshield.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you for the information which is very useful, but leads me to ask another question:
1. Just how does one remove the chrome trim? Is there a special technique or sequence, or tool?
2. Are there any special sealants or lubes (like rubber lube) used to install the rubber around the glass or under the frame?
3. Do any other tips come to mind? I will order the windshield adjuster bolts as you suggest.

Thank you again.

If you order from SS ask Rick for a copy if the "TIPS" on windshield installation.

If you order the Gaskets/rubber moulding etc from SS they furnish some very worth while instructions.

If per chance you do not get what you want... PM me or better yet send me an E-mail and I'll send the instructions to you.

Also, there is a publication from the UK "the Guide" to the Sunbeam Alpine, it is available from "SAOC" UK for about $20.00 at least that is about what I paid.

It is very informative and picks up and expounds where the WSM leaves off.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Originally the windshield frame used rubber shims under the corners for adjustment of the frame rake. These tend to have limited reuse due to age. What Sunbeam Specialties sells is a pair of sleeves that go over one of the frame atttachment posts on each corner and allow the rake to be adjusted without needing to remove/install the frame to make said adjustments. Don't have the link handy, but look under windshield parts in the catalog.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
All,
I had forgotten about this thread that I started and had not closed off my part of it.
My mechanic had experience in an automotive glass shop and was able to easily R&R the windshield rubber. I do not know the price as the shop just ran a tab on the project and when they needed a $$ they told me how much to pay on tab. :(

gary1725

Donation Time
I am also about to replace the seal in my SV windscreen - the glass was removed to allow the frame to be cleaned and painted with the rest of the car but this is something I have always been reluctant to tackle before - I have seen the "string method" mentioned and found a couple of posts mentioning it but no instruction of how to perform this specific to the Alpine - I found a couple of youtube videos showing windscreen replacement and in each case the seal was wrapped around the glass first and then the glass and seal set into the frame - is this correct in our case? I ask because in another forum thread the post is very specific "windshield gasket to frame FIRST. Then windshield to gasket SECOND"

thanks

Gary

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gary, Give me a bit and I'll try to send you a copy of the sheet.

Last edited:

gary1725

Donation Time
thanks Dan! just pottering today so thought I would google and post.. I am in no hurry! lots and lots to do before the screen goes back on!

emanofoz

Donation Time
Unclear on windscreen / windshield re-install?

I removed the windscreen, frame and anything else that would normally get taped for painting, including the engine and components, with the idea of getting a factory looking paint job, engine cowlings and all. Ordered weatherstrip and engine parts, now 20 years later I painted my 66 Alpine Series V and I am attempting to re-install the windscreen frame and everything else.

The manual I have talks about removing the frame to remove the windscreen but isn't clear if it needs to be in place when reinstalling or off the car?
I also am unclear as to why the frame angle needs to be adjusted. Is it for matching up the top edge to the tops or the seating of the bottom? When does this adjustment take place and should I wait to seal the frame until this adjustment is done? Does this adjustment need to be done after the windscreen is installed.
They sell a tube of silicone sealer for windshield installations and I was was wondering if this could be used in place of the caulk rope?

I don't know if it is appropriate, as I am a newbie here, but Sunbeam Specialties deserves recognition. I originally purchased all my parts from them 20 years ago.They accepted a return of their parts, that I got wrong originally, due to someone changing engines on me. They gave me a full refund, helped me identify the engine I have (the numbers didn't help), and were able to provide me with the correct parts I needed. There is not too many companies that provide that kind of business ethics and I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• DSCF3919.jpg
    DSCF3919.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0523a.jpg
    IMG_0523a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 62

mikephillips

Donation Time
I personally find it easier to install the glass with the frame off the car. You get a bit more flexibility from the frame and you can avoid possibly scratching the paint with the glass or beltbuckle or such as you work. The rake adjustment is to move the top of the frame backwards or forewards so the gap to the quarterwind is even top to bottom. We're not talking lots of adjustment, usually less than a 1/4 inch at the top.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
First, congratulations on getting the car to this point. I don't imagine many cars sit in pieces for 20 years and then get finished by the same guy who took it apart. You are probably in very select company. And, the work looks terrific.

Regarding the windshield adjustment, Sunbeam Specialities sells a special adjustable nut for that purpose and most guys who have used them highly recommend them. I did not when I replaced my seal and kicked myself all the way through the adjustment process. As I recall, they are only about $20. That would have been money very well spent!

As for the sealer, I think I would be inclined to use the rope caulk, since you'd probably regret the silicone if the window were to get broken and needed replacing. As for SS, that is a great story. Rick is a incredible asset to all of us. I just wish he was active here. I suspect we could all learn a lot from him.

emanofoz

Donation Time
Changing windscreen in frame?

Thanks for your help, I figured out the rake adjustment once I located all the pieces. I have two metal shims on each side that originally came out so I'm first going to reuse these. If that doesn't work I'll order the magic nuts from Rick.
I'm still a little leery on "the hands on" glass to frame but I think I'll attempt it, with my son's help, on a moving mat spread out on the garage floor. I'll see if I can locate some rope caulk from the local Napa. What should I ask for specifically?
When putting the glass in the frame should I have the frame laying front up with the glass going in vertical or should the frame be upright and the glass going in horizontal? Do I lay it in the bottom edge of the frame and push the sides and top into place or set it in square and push it in evenly?
Wish me luck.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As I recall, the rope caulk is just a generic product available at any hardware store. It is the grey stuff that comes in ribbed rolls. For household use, you just peel off a string of it and press it into cracks and openings. For the windshield, you may have to pull off a piece to get the roll to the right thickness, but you pretty much just lay the roll out under where the windshield will sit. As for the rest, I don't really remember how I did that, although I followed the advice of others here (other than the magic nut part) and did use the piece of string trick, which really helped.

jfcroni

Donation Time
My windshield has been out for years...I'm just getting to the project now. So.... all of the trim except the bottom piece should be on the frame before pulling the gasket lip through the frame... right?

mikephillips

Donation Time
You want to install the glass in the gasket, then the glass/gasket in the frame, then the stainless trim on the top then sides. After that the frame to body seal and mount the windscreen to the body. Then the bottom stainless piece.

All this is easiest if the dash isn't in the car so if it is out, leave it out until the windshield is done. Makes getting the middle three nuts so much easier to replace.