• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood will not open!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
never saw one fail like that. Don't buy the one on eBay that is listed for sale-it is missing the safety catch!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Me neither. Pretty weird that the pin fell out. The missing safety catch isn't such a big issue on the Alpine since the hood won't open anyway by airstream...

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
Woody I am really pleased for you well done. Was it the vertical pin that had come out of the lever arm (where the hole is visible)?
Yes. I found the pin and a cotter pin in the latch well. Not sure what the part is supposed to look like or what to order to replace it.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently saw a friends Alpine that had been jerry-rigged. It had the rod type pull but the "slider" as I call it ( See Drawing Item 91) was bent and the spot welds had come loose, a PO had drilled a small hole and then screwed the slider back together with the screw feed from the bottom upward. The nut was on top and very loose. A s matter of fact was about to fall off which then would have allowed the screw to fall out from the bottom.... Guess what would have then become a grand surprise to the owner. Same thing as we are discussing here:)
index.php

I believe it is totally unnecessary to have a bunch of wires in reserve.

If you have an early series Alpine the rod will be sufficient, just keep it well lubricated and maintained.

However, should you be so fortunate as to own a SV Alpine wire release, the Miracle of Chrysler, then it is highly recommended you obtain the "Rod" style release. Or perhaps add a couple of the extra precautions mentioned here.....

Having watch an Alpine catch fire and burn because the Bonnet could not be opened is disheartening.

That is the reason I have the Bonnet release rod for "all" my Alpines.

1st PIC the connections under the bonnet - note the cotter pin
2nd PIC the nuts utilized. In this PIC the jam nut is OK But the nut inside the "Slider" is a Hex..... not the SQUARE NUT that should be there!!!

The slider is formed very tightly around the square nut to keep it from turning.

3rd PIC Is the Slider as finish laser cut and formed with the Square nut.
4th PIC Is the finished product.

I will not say it "can't happen" but I see no need what-so-ever for a wire.

An after thought, a number of years ago I found a pamphlet I believe it came from the UK SAOC, entitled, "THE ALPINE GUIDE" that is most valuable to minor details that included the Bonnet adjustment
Where can I find that drawing? I would like to order the pin assembly to replace the one that broke.

65beam

Donation Time
Where can I find that drawing? I would like to order the pin assembly to replace the one that broke.
I've never seen any of the Sunbeam parts suppliers selling new hood latches or parts for the latch. Your best and only solution is to buy a used one and check the weld for the pin. Lack of lubrication is one of the common problems with the latch.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor

Woody, As 65beam has stated, these parts or no longer available in most cases, so, as suggested find a good used part or perhaps fabricate a replacement as lots of us do.

Have you removed the "latch" assembly from your Alpine? If you have and can please post a couple pictures of it from several angles and maybe I (we) can tell if it is reparable.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If it was me, I would drill the hole to clean it up and install a clevis pin from the bottom and weld it in from the bottom. This is how mine is set-up.
RIMG1138-XL.jpg

loose_electron

Donation Time
One of the interesting aspects of car restorations, especially where replacements don't exist anymore, is the clever ways people find to redo, rework, replace, redesign thing.

Toyanvil - very nice redesign.

If it was me, I would drill the hole to clean it up and install a clevis pin from the bottom and weld it in from the bottom. This is how mine is set-up.
RIMG1138-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The reason I had the original "slider" laser cut and offer to members is that it is a good design and will function without failure in and of its self.

Attachments

• 20160630_202432.jpg
    20160630_202432.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 37

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Dan, looks good, but I'm unclear as to the need of the "slider" slot. What is the slider slot doing for the function of release?
Just being curious. I have already adapted my Series V to the hard rod with the slider, but again, why?
Thanks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Best I can tell in when the plunger enters the latch there is some movement?

If you take your finger and put pressure on the latch lock mechanism that catches the plunger (item 84 ?) in the drawing, it moves back allowing the plunger to seat. If the "slider" is not utilized it will tend to push the Bonnet release rod back toward the dash. At least that is what I have observed. The Slider is a necessary part of the puzzle Rootes Engineers designed. The key to all of this discussion is to properly maintain your ALpine:)

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, thank you, that actually makes a bit of sense. Yeah, I can see that. And I will emphasize your thought; a little grease in those areas (after cleaning the old crud) sure would go a long way towards maintaining these parts.