• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hello Tiger owners.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
I recently aquired a 65 Type IV. Yeah I know this is the Tiger forumn:eek:. First off I want to say i am not building this car to pass off as a Tiger. From what I hear the conversions are called ALGERS.
The reality is I love Horsepower and I cannot have a 4 cylinder or V-6 car.
Yeah I could have bought a Tiger...But I am also building a street rod pickup and a FFR MK III later this year.

So from what I have seen the conversion is not all that difficult. I am not stranger to fabrication of restoration.
I have had a few wicked Mustangs in my past.
So that being said i need to gather parts.
The idea is a 5.0 roller with a T-5. Coil over rear 4 link.
4 wh disc.
I understand the steering rack is an MG? The motor mounts are a from a 62 fairlane?

Is there any suppliers that have these parts?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

There are a number of people who have converted their Alpine's so you will hear from them in good time. I am not sure about the origins of the original steering rack for the Tiger, but there is a modification using the MG Midget steering rack which gives you a better steering ratio and rectifies some of the Tiger steering issues. If you are building from scratch, I would not use the standard Tiger front end due the the ackerman angle issues. In regards to the engine mounts, you may be better off fabricating your own mounts as the Tiger mounts may be very hard to find unless plentiful in the US. Make sure you strengthen the Alpine front end if you are planning to use it (even Tiger front end crack over time).

Regards, Robin.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Robin
Yep I have pretty much a ...tub. If it were worth restoring and something of value for the purist it would be sold. But this would make a great conversion. That fact that I actually track my cars...this little car is going to rip.
I have a bunch of friends that have FFR's. So this will be a welcoming sight with them.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ther is a guy on ebay who repros the motor mounts.. the rack was not MG, but the orginal system is flawed (negative ackerman geometry) a guy call Dale A of dales restorations does a bracket kit that fixes the steering geometry and quickens the rack. He uses a 67-71 Midget rack IIRC with MGB steering arms. His kits are available through his website. I can find the mounts link if you want.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

I had the same thought as you Michael, so no need to bother :) . Here is a set of Tiger engine mounts currently on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunb...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

I hadnt seen those.. but its funny anyway.. love how all his sunbeam parts are applicable to shelby/cobra and GT40's.. nice..

this is what he needs, but there is a guy in the USA who reproduces these, the ones you have liosted are original.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Ther is a guy on ebay who repros the motor mounts.. the rack was not MG, but the orginal system is flawed (negative ackerman geometry) a guy call Dale A of dales restorations does a bracket kit that fixes the steering geometry and quickens the rack. He uses a 67-71 Midget rack IIRC with MGB steering arms. His kits are available through his website. I can find the mounts link if you want.

Yeah that would be nice to have the links.
Thanks. I was wondering why we don't have a sticky thread with all the build info on these cars. Like for example "this is the best place to get a stock radiator and this is where to get custom or modified etc.

I checked out those mounts. They don't seem to hard to build..
Whats neat about this build. I can install the engine and work around the suspension. My other build. A 37 ford p/u where i have to position the engine in reference to the body that has now been stretched and channeled.
Then set the suspension up..which has also been stretched.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yeah that would be nice to have the links.
Thanks. I was wondering why we don't have a sticky thread with all the build info on these cars. Like this is the bet place to get a stock radiator and this is where to get custom or modified etc.
I checked out those mounts. They don't seem to hard to build..
Whats neat about this build. I can install the engine and work around the suspension. My other build. A 37 ford p/u where i have to position the engine in reference to the body that has now been stretched and channeled.
The set the suspension up..which has also been stretched.

The stock radiators are not reproed.. but often come from people on ebay who have upgraded to aluminium ones or high effiency cores.. IIRC you said you are going for a 302.. so better to get an aftermarket one:

Griffin, Flyuidyne (dales), Rob Gurerra (mod tiger engineering) all offer radiators.. i know the Dales one is good and have heard good things about Robs. The alloy ones dont always offer much advantage at idle.. but do on the run, and also reduce the weight in the front.

What are you planning on using for the tunnel/firewall and what rear end.. i guess what i would like to know is.. are you trying to build a alger.. or do you want a custom V8 alpine? If you are building a custom car.. you can go IRS go 5 speed (tom hall does a kit for that to fit even stock tigers) and do a bunch of mods that will make it a very rewarding car.. if you are trying to use as many repro correct tiger parts.. i think we get back to the point of the issue of what you get vs just buying and subtly modifying a tiger.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Judging by the other vehicles that BLISTIC has owned or is working on, it certainly sounds like a custom V8 Alpine/Hot Rod. I would imagine he wishes to use some Tiger parts as they require less work and should fit a lot easier into the Alpine. As Michael pointed out, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available and the Windsor engines are very popular (especially in the US).

Regards, Robin.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Hi,

Judging by the other vehicles that BLISTIC has owned or is working on, it certainly sounds like a custom V8 Alpine/Hot Rod. I would imagine he wishes to use some Tiger parts as they require less work and should fit a lot easier into the Alpine. As Michael pointed out, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available and the Windsor engines are very popular (especially in the US).

Regards, Robin.
Precisely Robin
Actually my last 65 Mustang now resides down in Australia.
You may have seen it out on the track.
Yeah i think a custom V-8 Alpine is more in the making.
I hate to pass something off for what it is not.
A independent rear would be nice. Who builds this kit?

BLISTIC

Donation Time
The stock radiators are not reproed.. but often come from people on ebay who have upgraded to aluminium ones or high effiency cores.. IIRC you said you are going for a 302.. so better to get an aftermarket one:

Griffin, Flyuidyne (dales), Rob Gurerra (mod tiger engineering) all offer radiators.. i know the Dales one is good and have heard good things about Robs. The alloy ones dont always offer much advantage at idle.. but do on the run, and also reduce the weight in the front.

What are you planning on using for the tunnel/firewall and what rear end.. i guess what i would like to know is.. are you trying to build a alger.. or do you want a custom V8 alpine? If you are building a custom car.. you can go IRS go 5 speed (tom hall does a kit for that to fit even stock tigers) and do a bunch of mods that will make it a very rewarding car.. if you are trying to use as many repro correct tiger parts.. i think we get back to the point of the issue of what you get vs just buying and subtly modifying a tiger.

Got a link for that IRS kit??

pete

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Pete,

I don't think anyone makes a kit for the Alpine/Tiger, but in saying that there may be one that I have never seen. You should be able to find something near your location on the internet though. What Australian state did the Mustang go to? Was it a full race car or a road car tricked up?

Regards, Robin.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Hi Pete,

I don't think anyone makes a kit for the Alpine/Tiger, but in saying that there may be one that I have never seen. You should be able to find something near your location on the internet though. What Australian state did the Mustang go to? Was it a full race car or a road car tricked up?

Regards, Robin.

Melbourne is where it resides. Maybe you have seen it?
l_01a88930d46fa13604721ef4bd39186f.jpg

AFA race or street. BOTH.
I don't dry the line between street or race. Race cars can be driven on the streets...ala you pay attention to the rules.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Got a link for that IRS kit??

pete

I dont have the details on the IRS kit at the moment, but there was someone offering it.. from what i understand he will no longer make them as they were a money loser.. though the details of it are somewhere. There are a few others that have done their own versions, coil overs with watts linkage, late model mustang IRS.. though not sure how good that is given the are now back to live axel. Then there was the factory test cars that ran the de-dion rear in them.. lots of ways to IRS a CAT :D .. just thinking how much stock tiger stuff will actually hinder you rather than help.. might be better to join a club like CAT or tiger specific.. get the low down on the tigers.. look a few over.. see some of the comon mods and go from there.

As for the stang, looks great.. but doubt it would be eligible for historics here without chnages. We might see it at a customs or US muscle car show.. rob and i are in melbourne.

64beam

Donation Time
Very nice Mustang :cool: . Do you know if it is still the same colour and the same owner? If it is, I will have to keep an eye open for it at some of our local events. May even be road rallying the beast.

Regards, Robin.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Very nice Mustang :cool: . Do you know if it is still the same colour and the same owner? If it is, I will have to keep an eye open for it at some of our local events. May even be road rallying the beast.

Regards, Robin.

The owner has kept it the same since I sold it last year.
He said he has taken it to a open track event so far. I think he wants to run it in the rally's.

Duke thanks for the response.

Pete

mikephillips

Donation Time
The original Shelby produced proof of concept car used an MGA rack, but the production cars used a rack and column unique to the Tiger. In recreating it you're better off to use the midget rack and finding a column to fit since original Tiger pieces, when used only for the Tiger, can be hard to find.