• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hardtop custom

bluoval

Donation Time
Help I'm in the final stages of resto of my series v hardtop and want to wrap it in vinyl. I have never seen one. So I do not know how they were wraped. I seem to remember seeing a picture of a wraped hardtop. but am not sure. I do not remember any of the details. Please post the details you remember or photos you might have. as to what was wrapedand what was not. or any sugestions you might have. would like to deliver the top to the upholstry shop friday if I can gather enough info.. Thanks Earl bluoval

alsalp

Donation Time
I know there was an aftermarket fiberglass top that was black an textured that could have been mistaken for vinyl.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I think the two traditional suppliers have been Parrish and Astro... although I don't recall which was the textured one. Both have shown up here from time to time. (I don't recall seeing a vinyl-covered original, either early or late.)

Here's the current owner of Parrish:
http://www.smoothline.com/sunbeam.php

It's lookin' pretty non-textured, though... hence "smoothline", I guess.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Help I'm in the final stages of resto of my series v hardtop and want to wrap it in vinyl. I have never seen one. So I do not know how they were wraped. I seem to remember seeing a picture of a wraped hardtop. but am not sure. I do not remember any of the details. Please post the details you remember or photos you might have. as to what was wrapedand what was not. or any sugestions you might have. would like to deliver the top to the upholstry shop friday if I can gather enough info.. Thanks Earl bluoval

Hi Earl

Don't know why a good shop wouldn't be able to cover the top.I would however believe you will have a seam on each side

How are you doing.Send a PM when you have a chance

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a Dynaplastic Corp hardtop that looks like vinyl from a distance but is just textured to look like a vinyl top.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are you talking about a factory top?

I have seen the early series SI/II tops covered in vynil, not a bad idea on an early top as they can't rust... it had been done in 3 peices with a seam running a few inches above the side windows that went to the rear window.

I have also seen a vynil covered later series top.. graham vickery had it on the last tiger built, it was pictured in a Classic and Sports cars (in maybe 1996?) i personally prefer the painted tops, but if done well the vynil can look good.

bluoval

Donation Time
fact top

all thank you for the posts I have a fact top and want to use on the black Tiger and the silver Alpine with a black comp stripe. The blacks are diff paint and with paint the top would not interchange. But if it is wraped would go with both cars. Was wondering about the area around the side windows.. Had given thought as to textured spray, but do not think it will have the finished look I want. keep the posts coming it is a great help Earl blu oval

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I've seen some truck bed liner stuff that looks quite good. Just don't tell anyone what it really is!

socorob

Donation Time
I had a friend who used some of that spray on bed lining... Rhino lining I believe to do the whole bottom inside of an early bronco. That stuff blocked almost all of the road noise. Made it a very quiet truck.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There used to be stuff in a rattle can that when spayed on had the texture of a vinyl top. Of couse this was back when vinyl tops were popular.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There used to be stuff in a rattle can that when spayed on had the texture of a vinyl top. Of couse this was back when vinyl tops were popular.

And, if I remember correctly, it came with a tape that that you put on the edges of the roof before you sprayed, in order to simulate the seams on a real vinyl top. :D

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
And, if I remember correctly, it came with a tape that that you put on the edges of the roof before you sprayed, in order to simulate the seams on a real vinyl top. :D

And to make it look really authentic it had special 'rip strips' that made it look like a cat had clawed up the vinyl in places. :p

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Earl
I've got one here awaiting restoration, I'll get photos this evening. Send me a PM with an Email address.
I'm pretty sure they were an option on the very late cars, Over the years I've seen too many for it to be any other.
An old friend (now in his 80's) en Ex trim shop Rootes/ Chrysler employee will know the material and adhesives used, I'm thinking Evo-stick (brand) adhesive.
Pete

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
And to make it look really authentic it had special 'rip strips' that made it look like a cat had clawed up the vinyl in places. :p

Funny you would mention that. But as I recall, you could also get strips that created fake seam humps on the faux top.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Funny you would mention that. But as I recall, you could also get strips that created fake seam humps on the faux top.

Yeah, I know... I remember it, too... I think that's what Jim Stone was referring to.

AlpineII

Donation Time
When my Series 3 was being done I had truck bed liner sprayed on the entire undercarriage and throughout the passenger compartment. Certainly not a smooth paint like look but not really an even enough "texture" for a finish.

65beam

Donation Time
hardtop

none of the dealer literature or option literature says anything about vinyl covered tops being available. it does say that they in the case of a GT it was painted body color.

alpine_64

Donation Time
none of the dealer literature or option literature says anything about vinyl covered tops being available. it does say that they in the case of a GT it was painted body color.

Bob,

Dont think anyone is suggesting the tops were vynil covered, just talking about it as a period thing people did... liek the things you so often talk about amco, chrome wires etc.. something a dealer or 3rd party might offer

65beam

Donation Time
hardtop

michael,

i must tell you i have never seen a hard top with a vinyl covering. think about it.