• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard top paint colors

Craigegg

Donation Time
Can anyone tell me what the original hard top paint color on SII was.
My car is carnival red but it has a black hard top.
Was this typical color scheme?

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I am curious too, Mine is Commodore Blue with huge scratches on the HT. Thinking of doing a wrap but not sure what color is correct and would it look good.

Craigegg

Donation Time
I wasn’t sure, I saw one with a red hard top, but he might have painted it to match the car color.
Thanks for your response.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I also always thought all the early series HT's only came in black until I saw this ad. So the world may never know.
RIMG0002-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I also always thought all the early series HT's only came in black until I saw this ad. So the world may never know.
RIMG0002-XL.jpg
This was just for the ad .. in the first few years there were ads and press shots with white cars with white tops.
However from factory in the series I/II the cars only came with the code 1 ( embassy black) hardtops with white interior trim. They were not offered to be ordered with other colours ex-factory.

When the series 3 was introduced and the GT model was offered the hardtop on a GT was body colour

Optional hardtops came black as stock.. but.. you could order from the factory a top in Body colour ..this lasted to series V.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I would think black or white would look good on red. IMO go to where kids get wraps done and have them roll out a small sample on your roof. For my blue car I am leaning towards white or maybe silver to match my alloy wheels

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am working on a HT for my series 2 that I am also thinking about doing silver to match my wheels, just not sure if it will look like I got a top from a silver car at needs to be painted. This is the picture that made me start thinking about silver.
RIMG0799-XL.jpg

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think all the Series II's I have seen had black tops. I did mine in white when I restored it, to match the body paint.Looks like yours except not as well sorted.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
My Series III GT brochure has both Blue and Red body examples. Both have body color matching hardtops.
Original Sunbeam Alpine/Rapier Series III/Series IV Color brochure states: "Soft tops and Hard tops are Black except G.T. Models, which have Hard tops in body colour."
1966 Colour chip card selection item states: "Hard top: Same colour as the body."

Straight from the Rootes factory to the Sebring race track in 1962. My Series II #41. Clearly a white hardtop. The body was Seacrest Green.

1698103272246.png

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry,

The race team generally did the hardtops in white for the race cars . Likely for heat reflection and visibility. Other than the 61 stoock body alpine that ran at LM all the Sebring, Lemans, Rally and even rally Tigers ran white hardtops.

I wouldn't use the race cars as a reference for the production hardtops.

A wide note the 61 Sebring cars had the stock black hardtops but they painted white over the tops and the rear rails were still black on some of the cars.