• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Got Vader a trans

Jim E

Donation Time
Found a 3.8 version of the T5 local yestarday cost was abour $375 with tax. Hope it is a good one going to pull the car apart this after noon and try and get teh mods done to teh T5 tonight then bolt it back together tomorrow... waiting for AAA to come now to drag the beast to teh shop.

Oh and I had not started the car since it broke and the little V6 started up no problem after sitting for weeks.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I hope the Normster has the A/C working in the shop! Good luck-wayyyy too hot for me outside lately.
Eric

Jim E

Donation Time
It was so hot on Friday the tools would burn your hands from laying in the sun, did I mention I am working outside being the shop is full.... think it was 105 plus that day... ouch.

Then on Saturday it was just plain to hot to work so nothing much got done.

Sunday was better got the eng/trans out pulled. Swapped the stuff from the old T5 to the new, by the way for those using a 3.8 T5 the 5.0 front bearing retainer is a direct fit you just need to set end play, the 5.0 piece3 is the correct length and you want one of the steel units because the stock alloy retainers tend to have problems. Also removed the 5.0 pilot bearing adaptor and installed a new pilot bearing in the crank for the 3.8 trans.

So today I am off to try and finish this up.....

Jim E

Donation Time
Ok so maybe today I get it done... engine is back in just need to bolt the rest of the bits back on it

britbeam

Donation Time
Ok so maybe today I get it done... engine is back in just need to bolt the rest of the bits back on it

THAT SOUNDS GREAT Just back from a ride in mine. I almost ready just a few more small items to get ready for the drive to the Invasion. How many V6 guys are going and if anyone wants to caravan north from Georgia through Tennessee and Kentucky backroads send me a PM. Maybe we can hook up a few more Alpines. V6 or 4Cly Alpine it doesnt matter we will hang together.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Jim E

Donation Time
Ok so think I pooched this one....

While pushing the car in the garage, by hand, with the trans in neutral drive shaft in stall, basically just need to put the radiator back in... ok got the picture pushing the car... and it stops like you ran all four tires in to a 2x4 I mean dead stop then it rolls free.... so I am thinking rear end but what could be wrong in the rear end that would momentarly lock it up like that. So now I figure I did not break the T5 at all but the rear end? I was sure the trans was broke when it made the noise like rocks being crushed but maybe that was from the rear end? Up side I have a good rebuilt 5.0 T5 for sale down I need a rear end center section....

Just cannot see what in the rear would do this bent spider gear shaft? shucked ring gear tooth is my guess.

Hey Eric got a center section laying around?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Ok so think I pooched this one....

While pushing the car in the garage, by hand, with the trans in neutral drive shaft in stall, basically just need to put the radiator back in... ok got the picture pushing the car... and it stops like you ran all four tires in to a 2x4 I mean dead stop then it rolls free.... so I am thinking rear end but what could be wrong in the rear end that would momentarly lock it up like that. So now I figure I did not break the T5 at all but the rear end? I was sure the trans was broke when it made the noise like rocks being crushed but maybe that was from the rear end? Up side I have a good rebuilt 5.0 T5 for sale down I need a rear end center section....

Just cannot see what in the rear would do this bent spider gear shaft? shucked ring gear tooth is my guess.

Hey Eric got a center section laying around?
I would guess the spider gears. That is what broke in mine. The rest of the Alpine rear end is pretty strong, so the weakest point is the spider gears.

Jose :p

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim,

Take a look at the 'lock pin for cross pin', items 5 and 7
on the Sunbeam Specialties differential 'exploded' diagram.
The diagram is aptly named, because that's what happened
to mine when one of the 'lock pins' failed, and while not under
load, (coasting down hill) dropped the shaft low enough to hit
the casting. Boom... then no-go. Could be the case here.

Ken

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Jim, open it up and weld them there spiders all together.
They won't come apart and ye-ha, a spool rear end, loads of fun!
Unless it rains of course.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Doesnt this car run the Tiger rear?
Jim's Series V has the Tiger rear. He just might have to swap it into the Series III, or he'll be changing Differentials every so often. Jim's engine is too powerful for the Alpine rear end to handle.

Jose :)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Jim's Series V has the Tiger rear. He just might have to swap it into the Series III, or he'll be changing Differentials every so often. Jim's engine is too powerful for the Alpine rear end to handle.

Jose :)

This is why the 8 inch ford rear end is my choice.On the Lister I have 330 pounds of torque and 270 HP.Mind you I had a very good proffesional do the whole axle on both cars..Not ever a problem and still nice with no loss of fliuds.The 62 with the new 302 which is in the 325?? hp figure still has the 8 inch ford rear end which I first put in.I didn't have this 302 dynoed as that 325 HP is the numbers the speed shop that built it was looking for and it might be a bit more they figure.Only opened the 302 a bit a couple of times so far.It has the POWER.
Now to get the front end a bit higher.Tiger springs and Mustang spindles on the front end ended up a wee bit too much lower than I expected.Well I don't need a wing with that rake.

Mark T

Donation Time
Now to get the front end a bit higher.Tiger springs and Mustang spindles on the front end ended up a wee bit too much lower than I expected.Well I don't need a wing with that rake.
Hi Chuck! I have the Tiger springs and Mustang spindles and was thinking that it was a bit too low as well (although it's sitting perfect right now with the engine in the machine shop!). Please let me know what you do to raise yours. Thanks!

Jim E

Donation Time
Ken you hit the nail on the head the shaft the spiders ride on failed, broke about a 1/2 inch from the end. The broke piece could not fall out but it could slidefar enough out the end to touch the ring gear and jamb into the pinion gear. The pinion gear is ate up and the carrier is busted.

Eric G. was supose to be helping me with a center section yestarday and we emailed back and forth and finally he said "Get the rear end laying in the green car that has no cover and the old bed springs laying on it... so I go get it take it to the shop drain it, pull the axles and drop the center out.. now it is obvious this rear end has been outside for years the housing has deep rust pits and there is no grease or oil on it anywhere.... anyway the center section is out and there is no way I can use it all the bearings need replaced and it is a 4.93 to 1 gear now the fact that it is a locker is nice but thinking pulling that gear might be a bit much ....

So once Eric gets home head out his way and drop off the stump puller gear and we dig around and find a loose 4.22 center section and off I go and install it. My car had a 3.89 gear before and I wanted to try a 4.22 should make the stop light wars a little more fun and should move me up a little more toward the power band on the freeway.

So back out to finish buttoning the car up today at least I hope to finally get it done.

Oh and with my current situation pretty sure I will swap the Tiger axle and rebuilt front end from my SV to the S3 make the SV so it will roll and sell the shell. Anyone interested in the SV body? pans are all replaced has the V6 tunnel mod, underside of car has tar removed and has been primed and painted black. No rust on this one anymore.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck! I have the Tiger springs and Mustang spindles and was thinking that it was a bit too low as well (although it's sitting perfect right now with the engine in the machine shop!). Please let me know what you do to raise yours. Thanks!

Hi Mark
Will definitly let you know what I do to remedy this.
I think stretching the springs and longer shocks may work?????.Not too wild on the spring stretching.Will be going next week maybe to the best spring shop here.will take the car and see their opinion

Jim E

Donation Time
WOO HOO the car is back in one piece, well all but the hood could not find anyone to help my put it on. All I can say is wow the 4.22 gear makes the car even quicker off the line and the 3.8 T5 is a nice unit shifts very well! WOO HOO Invasion here I come! Got a week may strap the Goofy Gas on it!

Jim E

Donation Time
By the way if anyone cannot tell I am JACKED that my car is on the road again!!! woo hooo when you light it off and hear that cam rumble.... yeah man