• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Tank Lining

RHFG

Donation Time
I have an Eastwood gas tank kit to renew the lining but having great trouble in getting the old stuff out. Eastwood say to use acetone but it's not doing the job.

Has anyone travelled this route before and can give me some advice?

alpine_64

Donation Time
if you do a search lots of people have gone down this path. Often they have used muriatic acid to clean the tanks with some gravel or rocks as an agitator. they clenaed the tanks out quickly and applied a neutraliser before coating. Dry the tanks as quickly as possible so they dont flash rust.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used a paint remover, purchased from a home supply chain store. I'm surprised the Eastwood kit did not include remover as that is the hardest part of the job. I would not use muriatic acid as it is dangerous to use and it is very difficult to remove all traces of it from metal, causing corrosion.

I would say to use paint remover, be very patient and let it soak for at least an hour, rotating the tanks every 10 or 15 minutes. Use rocks or chain to help remove the old liner. Plug all openings in order to be able to soak all sides of the tank. When the old liner is gone, rinse, and treat the tank inside and out with zinc phosphate. It removes rust and etches the metal so the new liner will have a good surface to stick to. It also is a good rust preventer, leaving the tanks rust free after drying. A hair dryer works well to dry the tanks.

Bill

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I had my tanks chem. dipped at a local paint stripper and they come back free of all paint, grease and ready to line with the sealer and then paint the out side to your taste!:cool: