• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

gas smell

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, not to be a wiseacre, it's common, but not normal. The cure requires thorough investigation of all hoses, connection hard pipes, vent hoses, tanks, and fuel sender gaskets and probably filler cap assembly. Then the real fun starts. There is a thread that touches this already on the forum here:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7271&highlight=odor

Of course it is possible to cure... it's also difficult. I have not succeeded.

I wonder if a plumbing system pressure tester would help... or one of those fancy hydrocarbon sniffer testers...

Ken

alpine_64

Donation Time
If it happens when full its most likely the balance pipe between the 2 tanks that runs round the top of the rear valence. This goes round near where the rear of the soft top is secured.. it might be cracked, unclipped or even missing.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I had the exact same symptoms with my '67 from the day I bought until when I finally solved the problem this past summer. Even the DPO mentioned a gas smell when I bought the car in '01.

It only smelled when the tank was full or near full. I checked the balance pipe, the vent pipe, the sender unit and all was tight. Then one day the liner paint released and when pulling the tanks to get them relined, I finally figured out what the problem was. The clamp around the top of the filler tube and the cap assembly was missing. One of those times where I should have known, but spaced it (perhaps as a result of gas fumes :D)

Long story short, look up into the fender well and make sure that joint is clamped snug. It's a PITA to get to which is probably why the DPO didn't replace it in the 1st place.

pdq67

Donation Time
I put my car together 3 years ago and gave myself a big pat on the back for no fuel leaks. Monday, I filled it up. Tuesday, I noticed fuel fumes. After checking a bunch of stuff, I finally removed the trunk spring on the left side and bam, there it was. Fuel seeping out of the sending unit. You would think that if it was going to leak, it would have done it 3 years ago. I Have vivid memories of what a pain in the butt it was to get the tanks and all of the stupid hoses installed and am not looking forward to removing the left tank. HMMM? I wonder if I can get the sending unit out without removing the tank? Probably not. Now, all I have to do is drive 12 gallons of fuel out of the car. Sounds like a good excuse for some fast driving.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I removed the sender unit from my Series V just last week. Other than the usual problem of everything being in an unaccessible location, it went off without a hitch. You will have to remove the spring. I found that job is not to be feared, just remove the two bolts holding the linkage to the boot lid. The spring tension, while considerable, is not overpowering.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I removed the sender unit from my Series V just last week. Other than the usual problem of everything being in an unaccessible location, it went off without a hitch. You will have to remove the spring. I found that job is not to be feared, just remove the two bolts holding the linkage to the boot lid. The spring tension, while considerable, is not overpowering.

Bill

You can remove the spring without undoing any bolts.Be sure to use vise grips to hold onto the spring.pull and remove from the arm first.I do this on the 62 and I 'm using the last hoLe in the inner mount area as I have a luggage rack on the lid.there is enough tension to hold the lid up

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's fine.

I gave up strong arming springs several years ago. Now I do it only when there is no alternative. I bleed enough as it is.

Bill

pdq67

Donation Time
My wife tells me I haven't done a good job unless I bleed and have leftover parts. I still have scar tissue from the last time I installed the stupid gas tanks. Maybe it is time to consider a fuel cell.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Someone is probably mentioned this but 1st replace the hose between the top of the two tanks. It kinda runs where the convertible top is stowed. I replaced mine and no more gas smell - and it's easy too.

rnimares

Donation Time
Thanks to all of you that answered to my gas smell question. I will be checking it all out and let you know what i find. This is a great club to be a member.

Rick