• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Suspension Coil overs

socorob

Donation Time
Maybe the later series have better geometry than te early ones do. I watched some videos of my car at autocrosses and it looks like my series 2 gets positive camber gain. I have to do some serious trail braking to try to keep the understeer down.

whoizrob

Donation Time
Delrin?

Won't that make the ride pretty harsh? I'd always thought that the urethane replacements were a good compromise between teeth rattling rides and good handling. I had a track prepped 240 with urethane bushes all around and high spring rates and that darn thing would scramble your brain on roads (cornered flat under high loads though!). I'd hate to imagine anything with less compliance like delrin or heims.

Rob

PS. I'd love to see your alignment settings. I am mostly done with reliability mods on my car and it's time to start looking into getting rid of that dead feeling in the steering/handling department.

PPS. I'll give you a call later, I'd love to pick your brains further in regards to your QA1 findings.

socorob

Donation Time
I called QA1 and no go on the custom spring in that style. If you did back I posted a link to someone with a falcon that made an aluminum adapter to use a normal coil over spring with. The suspension setup on that looks similar to the alpines. The only thing with that is the spring keeps getting shorter and shorter the more things done like that.

bashby

Donation Time
After talking with QA1 I am going back to my original plan of modifying the upper and lower mounts and going with a standard coilover. I went through 3-spring iterations before I got the height "correct" on my SV (using 450# springs). I hope to have completed by year-end. Finishing the 4-link first.

tigretr

Donation Time
Yes, am sure the ride will be much less smooth, but I don't drive my car much. So when I do drive it I drive it hard and want performance. As you know my car is not luxury that is for sure. My radio is 1.8 liter and my right foot controls the volume.

Ill dig up my alignment specs and post them when I get a chance. Now, which pile did I put them in?

Brian

bashby

Donation Time
I have ordered the QA1 DS302 coil overs, 7" 400#/in springs and bearings; I hope to have the drawings done, fabricated and mounted by Thansgiving.