• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

finally on the dark side

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If you're after a curvy/swoopy console, maybe look into mocking it up out of foam or wood as a mold, then using that to make a shell out of fiberglas.

For windows, plastic's the thing, though.

I remember seeing a documentary about Cuba awhile back, where they would re-curve windshields for replacement into different cars. The guy had forms stacked in his backyard, and a huge oven to soften the glass enough to flow into the new shape. I don't know how he handled cutting, but somehow he was doing that, too. Note that his donor glass may have been produced before tempered glass was used for windshields...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robbie, here is my effort at a console. It was very easy to make. I used the sheet metal out of the door of a junked dishwasher. Bent and nailed it over wooden forms and had it upholstered.

Bill
IMG_2619.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the compliments.

I made the cupholder opening for a woven steel cupholder that I had. It was less than I hoped for, so I kept an eye out for a replacement. A year or so later I found a stainless steel cup that looked ideal and bought it. Turned out to be a perfect fit. I have no idea where I found it, probably some off the wall flea market place. Its just a generic kind of piece from China. If I remember correctly, its original purpose was a desktop pencil holder. I lined the cup with foil faced stryrofoam used on windshield covers. It all works fairly well, tall cups interfere with reverse and 4th, need to straighten the gearsift lever a bit.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Look 2/3 down this page.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|406&id=319789

One with and one without drain fitting. Not insulated, although you could fit a cozy to the outside, after install, from below...

socorob

Donation Time
I got a little time yesterday to get to work on the console. I was able to get the side pieces cut out and the top cut and formed with a heat gun. Its very easy to bend ABS with just a little bit of heat. I was surprised. I used an aluminum siding break to bend it straight.

Attachments

• console pieces.JPG
    console pieces.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 57

socorob

Donation Time
Center console

Today I glued the 3 main pieces together I had cut out this weekend. I learned a few things.
1. ABS glue takes forever to dry.
2. Something with multiple angles needs at least 2 people to try to get everything lined up properly.
3. Make sure you have the correct size clamps BEFORE you start gluing.
4. Listen to you doctor. I just had my tonsils removed, uvula scraped and nose drilled out yesterday and probably should have listened to his advice about taking it easy!

Attachments

• consoleglued.JPG
    consoleglued.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 58

kmathis

Donation Time
Wow! Rob...that is a really cool little console! Are you going to put gauges in it up front there, or whatever else? Looks really nice. I have been thinking about how to do a console as well, and this looks like the best idea.:) Where did you get the ABS sheet?

Hope you feel better; those procedures don't sound too fun.:eek:

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks Kelly. The plan at this second in time, is to have at least 1 cup holder, maybe 2. I want to get the stainless ones that Bill has on his. I think those look nice.I went to a pull a part yard and started gathering up some things to go in it. I got the seat heater setup from an infinity, so those switches will be in the console. I got some of the little door marker lights to use as floor lighting on the sides. I got some ole Mercedes AC vents that I will leave space on the bottom for. I won't mount those yet, because it will probably be a long while before I get to AC. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the console door. Not sure if I want it to slide or hinge open yet. I'll do whatever way seems easiest. Inside the console I will put a 12 volt plug and maybe an audio jack. I'm still deciding if I want a radio or just use an ipod. Any suggestions anyone may have, let me know. I got the plastic from a SABIC plastic place here. I think they have a lot of locations around the country. You can only get it in 4x8 sheets, so you'll have extra for other projects. I was thinking about an under seat drawer.

socorob

Donation Time
I got to work on the console a little more, I did all the necessary trimming to get it to fit. I have to wait for the cup holders and shift boot to come in before I'll be able to do much more. I'll probably get the whole thing covered in padded vinyl when its finished unless it turns out spectacular.

Attachments

• console fitted.JPG
    console fitted.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 91

socorob

Donation Time
Cupholders and shifter boot installed. The lokar shifter boot and ring set comes with very crappy boots, so I'll have to try to find or make something better. I mainly wanted the ring anyway.I think I'll definitely get it covered with vinyl or alcantara when it's finished. I started working on the door yesterday. I curved the top piece over a piece of wood I routed the shape I want it to end up.

Attachments

• console with cup holders.JPG
    console with cup holders.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 93

socorob

Donation Time
I think I have the console almost to the point where I'm almost ready to get it covered. All I have left is to figure out how to attach it to the tunnel, then I can get it covered. It has a light on all 3 sides, tweeters, stereo, seat heater switches, A/C vents and a switch for the lights on the main part. Inside it has a USB port, audio jack, and power port. Oh yeah, 2 cup holders. I used a mechless marine stereo, so its tiny, It's only 3 5/8" deep from the front side of the console. It has USB and audio in and the menu structure is similar to an old ipod.

Attachments

• console.JPG
    console.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 95

kmathis

Donation Time
Robbie, that is the nicest console I have ever seen in an Alpine or anywhere else!! I think you may have some orders coming in.:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow! Two drink holders, wife is pissed, looks like I am going to have to start on the Mk II version for our car.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brought home my Mustang II today....

Jose,

Just to let you know! I was able to obtain the Mustang II V6 2.8 today it has a new home.:D

Next will be to clean it up and see if I can get it to turn over.

Then removal, and a trip to the machine shop.

Hopefully I'll not be too long before getting started on the "kit"....

Thanks, for all the help and advice!