• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

finally on the dark side

socorob

Donation Time
My car arrived a few days ago. It has a Jose conversion from what the previous owner told me. Jose I think you may have had a little to do with this one, I saw your name on a receipt that was in a folder the guy gave me. Is there anything you can tell me about this car that you can remember? The outside is pretty good, but the inside has been gutted. I started making new door panels yesterday for it. Its a 63 series 2.

Attachments

• Sunbeam 016.jpg
    Sunbeam 016.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 214

socorob

Donation Time
it would only let me put 1 picture in, let me try again. It says my pictures are too big.

Attachments

• Sunbeam 010.jpg
    Sunbeam 010.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 203

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I helped do the conversion on this Alpine, lo, many years ago. We moved the radiator down and forward, to get more room for the engine fan. It has a C4 automatic, but as I told you when you wrote, if you want to still run an automatic, I would suggest using the A4LD from a Ranger/Bronco II. That transmission will work great with a set of lower gears and yet still give a good cruising rpm. at 70 mph. It will perform better and get better mileage too.

We put an 8" rear end in it, with, I believe, a set of 3.55's. The engine is stock Mustang II. We adapted a set of tubular shocks to the rear end, so we could get away from the old lever shocks. The engine is running the Ford Duraspark ignition from the Mustang. You really don't need to go to an MSD or other after market ignition, because this system is as good and won't cost a ton.

What can I tell you about the rest of the drive train, except that it has given him no trouble in all the years it has been running. It has been dependable, so you can expect to have a lot of trouble free miles of fun with it.

Jose

socorob

Donation Time
thanks, my wife and i have probably put close to 200 miles on it since sunday. It seems to run fine. So far ive had 2 people ask if it was a fiat, 1 a thunderbird, and 2 MGs. Only 2 people have asked if it was a sunbeam. Then when i say its a sunbeam, they say.. who makes that? its funny.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

You will get those questions every time you take it out. Get ready for it. You will enjoy it a lot too, because your Alpine is just so much fun.

I wanted to ask you where you live, because I will be in Washington on Friday, and will be there for two weeks. I will also be back in So Cal. the last two weeks of May, so If you are close to where I'll be, maybe we could get together sometime. I'm in Riverside now, by the way.

Jose

socorob

Donation Time
Im in Louisiana near New orleans, so that would be a little too long of a commute for me. I do go up there every couple of years to visit relatives, but not too often. About 3 hours ago the guy got out of the car at the red light behind me, i thought he was gonna tell me i had a burned out taillight or something, but he saw the dual exhaust and asked if it was a tiger. This is a very fun car. I actually just got finished making door panels. Im hoping to get them put on by the end of this weekend. Do you remember about what year this car was converted? And would the tie rod from the new kit still work on this one?

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I wanted to ask you where you live, because I will be in Washington on Friday, and will be there for two weeks. I will also be back in So Cal. the last two weeks of May, so If you are close to where I'll be, maybe we could get together sometime. I'm in Riverside now, by the way.

Jose
Jose,
I lived in Rubidoux for about 14 years, over by FlaBob. I flew in and out of there a lot, but mostly out of Riverside. Where are you in Riverside. Great church there "Bethel".

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bob,

I'm actually in what used to be called Arlington. My sister lives off of La Sierra Ave., just south of Indiana Ava. Riverside now consists of the city center and all the surrounding suburbs. Riverside now butts up against Corona city limits, about 14 miles from city center.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

How did you manage to buy a car all the way up in Washington state, when you live in Louisiana? Did you have it shipped down, or did you drive it down?

The best I can remember about when it was converted, is 1993, about 16 years ago. the only reason I remember that, is because I was going through a divorce at the time, and so was my friend Tim. We worked on his Alpine, to take our minds off of what we were going through. Something nice, to have an Alpine to work on to distract you.

The funniest thing that happened with that car, was that we had just connected everything up, but the car was still on ramps. We hadn't connected the exhaust yet, so the headers were open. We were in Tim's small garage, with the door closed. I was standing outside the car, bending over the front fender, handling the throttle. Tim was inside the car, going to turn the key so we could start it. I blipped the throttle a couple of times to get some gas into the manifold, then told Tim to hit it. Tim turned the key and there was an instantanious sound of an explosion. BANG!! Tim, just as quickly turned off the key and asked "What was that??!! His eyes were as wide as saucers. I laughed so hard, because of the wide eyed terror I saw in his eyes. I told him it was the engine coming to life and was normal. It took a little bit for me to convince him to go ahead and turn the key again; he finally did and the engine instantly came to life. it was LOUD inside that small garage, but it was music to my ears. These little 2.8 V6's just want to run.

When the neighbors heard the comotion, they came over to see that we'd actually gotten it runing. The neighbors were gear heads and had told Tim, that I'd never get it to work. They ate their words that day.

There is just one thing that Tim did that I think you should change, and that was, he put glass packs on it, and you can hear it coming from 4 blocks away. it had that typical six cylinder glass pack bark. I would put turbo type mufflers on it to make it have a throatier sound.

I know you'll enjoy it as much as Tim did. Keep me up to date with what you are doing with it. OK?

Jose

Im in Louisiana near New orleans, so that would be a little too long of a commute for me. I do go up there every couple of years to visit relatives, but not too often. About 3 hours ago the guy got out of the car at the red light behind me, i thought he was gonna tell me i had a burned out taillight or something, but he saw the dual exhaust and asked if it was a tiger. This is a very fun car. I actually just got finished making door panels. Im hoping to get them put on by the end of this weekend. Do you remember about what year this car was converted? And would the tie rod from the new kit still work on this one?

socorob

Donation Time
thanks, i definitely will. I think he saidhe sold it to his neighbor, who painted it white, then bought it back a year or so later. Must be the same neighbors. I finished making door panels last night, this weekend i want to pull the window regulators out and clean them in the parts washer and regrease them, and ut new selas in before i put them on, as long as the parts i ordered from SS get here by then. Is the a4ld the same length as the c4? will i have to get the shaft changed if i ever switch?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The A4LD is longer and takes a bigger yoke to fit the later transmission. You would also need to fabricate a different transmission mount, because the later trans has the mount farther back. he did sell it to the same neighbor, thwn bought it back, after the neighbor did a bit of body work and paint. it originally was a faded dark blue. don't know if it was the stock color, but that is what it had on it at the time.

Jose

thanks, i definitely will. I think he saidhe sold it to his neighbor, who painted it white, then bought it back a year or so later. Must be the same neighbors. I finished making door panels last night, this weekend i want to pull the window regulators out and clean them in the parts washer and regrease them, and ut new selas in before i put them on, as long as the parts i ordered from SS get here by then. Is the a4ld the same length as the c4? will i have to get the shaft changed if i ever switch?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

I don't know. I saw it sitting on the floor the first time, after the wrecking yard delivered it. I would guess it still has it. it isn't a big job to pull the front timing cover and check.. You would ned to pull it anyway, if it has the nylon teeth and they break.

Jose

socorob

Donation Time
out with the old in with the new(er)

Took the old lowbacks out and installed some newer seats today. We went for a ride for an hour or so, and what a difference. It does take away from the lines but these are so much more supportive and comfortable, and being cloth they dont get hot. Eventually ill have them recovered to match. Anyone with a series 2 looking for some seats willing to trade for some interior parts, PM me.

Attachments

• JUNE 2008 025.jpg
    JUNE 2008 025.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 90
  • JUNE 2008 024.jpg
    JUNE 2008 024.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 135

socorob

Donation Time
No, i dont have a soft top yet. The front bottom of the seat is slightly lower than the stock ones and the back bottom is only about an inchish higher. My head sticks up past the top of the seat by a few inches. I was going to put the hard top back on today to check it, does that fit close to how the soft top does?

socorob

Donation Time
so finally got the offy, now looking at the 390 holleys. i see 2, which is the one to get, the 8007 or the 4160? is the 4160 the holley weber?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
You want the one with the 8007 number. I just checked JEGS and that is the number for the vacuum secondary carb, which is the one I recommend. It has an electric choke on it.

Jose

so finally got the offy, now looking at the 390 holleys. i see 2, which is the one to get, the 8007 or the 4160? is the 4160 the holley weber?