• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fibreglass hardtop

mattinoz

Donation Time
I'm considering getting one of these http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/sunbeam.htm
from the UK and was wondering if anybody has had any experience of them. I'm particularly interested to know how they attach to the car. I've asked them for more particulars but they seem not to have any detailed photos they will share.
I understand a quite a few have been imported into the States and Oz so would love to hear from anybody that has one or knows somebody who does.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I like it. Looks like it has a snug fit for the door windows. Guess that's a coincidence that the price is 345 british dollars (Tiger/Alpine 345). At todays exchange rate of 1.42, that would be $489.90 plus shipping

alpine_64

Donation Time
Matt,

They have a slightly different profile to the factory top (little lower) the rear 1/4 windows dont open and they are quite a thick moulding around the door windows.

They dont have clips at the rear and the clips at the front and sides are quite rudimentary .. they also dont use bowes for the headlining.

I have heard some people have managed to adapt the factory clips to them.. but not seen it.

I only know of 1 in AU.. but that doesnt mean there aren't more.

If you are thinking of going down that path,, mail me

mattinoz

Donation Time
I'm still trying to nail down the shipping cost (sea) from the UK, but early numbers would suggest a landed cost of less $900 AU, which given the scarcity and cost of even a half decent factory top makes it an attractive all weather option.
I'm still holding out for a reasonable factory top that needs resto ( don't they all?) given that I have an complete set of hardware for one, restoring a shell would not be too big an ask I reckon.

Anyone in OZ got shell they don't want?

albeam

Donation Time
hardtop

Hi Matt,

Do you know what these fibreglass hardtops weigh?
The roof profile looks a little different to me.
Can the manufacturer give you any details?

Albeam

Ed109

Donation Time
Had a Honeybourne on my SV years back - still have it actually - but have since found very good original which will be going on the resto.

The finish is disappointing IMHO. As already mentioned, there's no headlining but a sort of brushed fur/velvet applied to the inside of the moulding. The quarter-lights are very basic triangles of thin perspex glued to the apperture with unfinished edges. The fixings supplied are J-bolts with wing nuts which take an age to fit and undo so is no good for a last-minute decision to go topless - maybe useful for wintering the car though.

They do include a switched interior light to the rear of the roof but you have to drop the wire through the door pillar and sort your own supply from there.

It did a job while I used it I suppose (after theft of my pristine factory top!) but not a patch on original.

They don't weigh much but don't have it to hand to measure exactly.

Mine's a good 15 years old and a little crazed and cracked but if any members are desperate, when I get it back in a couple of months you can have it for cost of P&P&P if you want. (The extra P's a pint of lager.)