• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exploring Options

C

CThompson

Help me understand what the limitations are.

I've got a 65 Alpine with no engine, hope to pick it up this weekend.

Included is a 2.8 and "Some automatic transmission".

I've read all the posts here, and scoured google, and while I'm sure the 2.8 is a fine lump, there seems to be a lack of an aftermarket for it. I may end up going with the 2.8, since I'm trying to build a car for the GRM $2007 challenge, and the cost may be prohibitive otherwise.

Isn't the Tiger the same relative chassis, with a Ford small block, like a 302?

Is the distributor the only real factor that makes a Small Block Chevy a no go? I can get SBCs for pocket change. I had planned to go with a MegaSquirt and MegaJolt regardless of engine, so this would be a distributorless car.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not an american muscle gearhead. I'm not looking to cram a ZZ572 into an alpine. But I do want to put in an engine with potential. Thumbing through the Summit Racing catalog last night, I found 300 pages of stuff for the SBC. Loads of potential.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Saying that the Tiger is an Alpine with a SBF engine is partially true, but it is also a gross understatement.

A partial list of what is required to put the SBF in an Alpine includes:

- Remove the Alpine firewall and fabricate a replacement (back about 6 inches).
- Remove the Alpine transmission tunnel and fabricate a replacement.
- Remove the Alpine steering system and fabricate a replacement.
- Relocate the Alpine brake master cylinder and fabricate new pedal linkage.
- Fabricate new engine and transmission mounts.
- Modify the Alpine frame with pass-throughs and notches for the exhaust system.
- Relocate the battery and remove the Alpine battery box.

The SBC is slightly larger than a short deck SBF, but it is about the same size as tall deck SBF (a 351) which can be shoe-horned into a Tiger. In theory, a DIS SBC conversion is possible, but remember that the SBC is heavier than the SBF and that custom headers would be required.

Unless you have access to a good shop and are a skilled fabricator, I think you will find that the SBF conversion is expensive and the SBC conversion would be very expensive.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't think there is much chance of installing a 2.8 in your Alpine this year for less than $2000. You can probably put it in this year, you may be able to do it for less than two grand, but not both. Just too much to be done, too much to be fabricated. Kits are not available at the moment and you do not have time to fab it all yourself.

Lets face it, to get the 'Beam on the road for less than $2007, you need to do it quick and dirty. Scrounge an Alpine engine and tranny and get it driveable would be your best bet. Second option, if you want to swap engines, go with one of the "small" four bangers that have been done before. There are many pitfalls in swapping engines in an Alpine, you don't have the time or money to sort them all out.

My hard earned, two cents worth.

Bill

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
CThompson,

I just closed a deal on a buncha cars and parts, including a wrecked Series II that is sporting a V6. I can't tell you too much about the drivetrain at the moment because I didn't inspect this car too closely. But if you want to PM me we can discuss this at length via phone and I'll let you have a total package from fan to rear CHEAP to help accomodate your $2007 goal.

Mark ..... volvoguys

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi CT

You sound like you really prefer a V8, so I would suggest not doing the V6 swap. To use a SBC in the Alpine, and do it correctly, you would need to front halve the Alpine. There just isn't enough room in the small Alpine engine compartment to do it, without putting a proper tube frame on the front half of the car.

The SBF will fit, but with a whole lot of work and expense. It has been done before many times, but I would venture to guess that way more SBF-Alpine conversions have been abandoned, then were ever completed.

Bill is telling you the truth, when he says that you can't convert the Alpine for $2,000. If you were to go the V6 route, the kit alone, will set you back more than $1,000. That doesn't take into consideration, the cost of an engine, transmission, re-cored heavy duty radiator, drive shaft, and all the little stuff that it would take to finish it off.

I would estimate that ,Today, it would take more like $3,500 just to do a V6 conversion, and that is if you get lucky and can locate all the stuff you'd need at a rock bottom price. Most guys that have done the V6 conversion, are spending about $7/$10K to do, of course, that would include some restoration of the body and upholstery, but I have some customers that have spent upwards of $25,000 in their conversion and restoration of their Alpines

The botom line is, there is no free (or even cheap) lunch. I have seen guys that have tried to do it cheaply, and they got frustrated and gave up the project. Even a four cylinder conversion will cost more than the $2,000 you project.

I don't know what to tell you, but the V6 conversion will be the easiest and cheapest conversion, and that is because there is a kit to facilitate the swap. The 2.8 will not sound like a V8, nor will it have the WOW factor that a V8 would, when you pop the hood, but it will make a terrific sports car. Right now the kit isn't available, but will be in a couple of months.

Jose:)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Jose tells it right
I have done the V6 way back when.It was a super good conversion.We enjoyed this car for 25 years without a problem.
To do the 2.6 would have cost a small bundle.Parts are expensive as compared to the 2.8.
As I already have done the V8 (351W) for my Lister clone I decided to do the 62 with a V8.There is a lot of work to be done before even you can fit the V8.You will need to be a pretty good metal fabricator or it will cost a lot to have it done.You will fit the V8 countless times while fabricating the firewall and tunnel.
For my 62 just the long block cost me 4000.Mind you it has the goodies.Then there is all the other parts required to make a complete engine tranny combo.
Of course you will need a new rear end.
Do not think you can do a super conversion on the cheap.It will cost a lot more than 2000.Of course if you just want to do it cheap do not count on reliability and of the utmost importance,
SAFETY!! SAFETY!!!

C

CThompson

OK, OK, I'm on board.

Had to ask though. The problem I had was that with so few entries on this forum, I couldn't find detailed info about any swap, and my google skills must be weak, because I couldn't find info there either.

The car does come with a 2.8 from a ranger.

I'm not sold on the $2007 challenge. I've kept it in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to make bad choices in the name of a dollar. If that took me out of the running, well, so be it. I'm not going to cheap out on a car for a three day "contest" when I'll be driving it for years to come.

Please take any posts by me with a grain of salt. I may be asking dumb, newbie questions from time to time. I may even play a bit of devil's advocate.

Thanks!

C

CThompson

Oho!

That was my problem. I didn't register for the old board. So when I viewed it, there was nothing there.

Moderators should set that a bit more open.