• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine bay struts

britbeam

Donation Time
Alan, this is for a 1978 Nissan F10. $31.99 plus a dollar core charge at Advance Auto Parts.

Bill

Ok suppose I go to Advance and purchase the master. Where do I source the connectors for a remote reservoir. Ive been to the Junk yard but no luck. The master P/N search I did came from Advance like yours but they have no availability for the reservoir connections. This will probably come down to redesign of my struts.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain, this is the hard part. I noticed the MC also fits the 90-92 Golf. Have you tried Golf parts at a JY or VW dealer? A year or two ago I found all this stuff, including individual reservoirs, online at one of the aftermarket high performance brake mfgrs. So far, have not been able to find it this year. Can't remember who had it. It does not help that Wilwood's online catalog is screwed up.

As a last resort, I'd try non-brake sources. Most hardware stores have nylon push tubing fittings. The hard part would be the tubing as I don't know what will hold up to the brake fluid.

Would probably be best to consult with Barry Knight about this. Brake system components are his playground.

Bill

Dwain, found this:

www.apracing.com/car/cylinder/fluiddata.asp?code=FR4

Jim E

Donation Time
Dwain there is an auction for a remote kit on ebay the guy has three of them but no telling if they will fit the master you are using.

britbeam

Donation Time
Thanks Bill this is the same reservoir I found on a Mitsu Galant the other day and was planing on using. Im in hopes that when I receive the master it will include master cylinder connections.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain, finally was able to open Willwood's catalog. They show a similar (but not usable for the Alpine) MC with adaptors that look exactly like the Parts America picture. They LOOK the same, no dimensions are given.

The #'s are:
Remote Inlet Adaptor (260-3396)
O-Ring (210-3398)
Clamp Assembly (260-3393)

Good Luck
Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Dual brake master cylinder conversion

Well its been a few days since I brought up this issue and was initally concerned about strut clearance for the dual master cylinder conversion. I received my master cylinder from my ebay bid. Its for a Nissan F10. It has a 3/4" bore and is equipped with connections for a remote reservoir as I was hoping the picture was correct. The good news is it will bolt up to the fire wall with aprox 1/8 " clearance on the front side. Hey clearance is clearance( right Jose). I did have to remove the spacer block between the original master and the fire wall.The master requires removal of a step by grinding to fit through the fire wall. You original Alpine guys can rest easy no grinding is necessary on the firewall. Now understand I still have a way to go on this installation so Im not ready to tell you this master setup is the way to go. I think I can only claim that after we are going down the road. The master cylinder is a Nabco with #16 on the side and also it states it is a 3/4". Thats close enough to .700 for me. Now off to the pull apart yard to get a reservoir.
Im also installing all new brake lines and stainless braid hoses. I found my rear hose did not have the same flow as the two front hoses. It looked like a 40 year original. Cant believe I had not already replaced it. DUH
I will give updates as I go through the process. I have pics of the master and they are the same as all the others you guys showed me. If this works I will post pictures of the conversion. It appears the line connections on the master may be metric so I have to address that with my auto parts guys. I have a store where they can still use books instead of the dummed down guy who wants to go straight to the computer. They made up some beautiful hoses and pressure checked them for me.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain, I have found that the guys at Advantage Auto are willing to go one better than opening the books. Its called, "Come back and see if you can find anything that will work."

My kind of guys.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain, I have found that the guys at Advantage Auto are willing to go one better than opening the books. Its called, "Come back and see if you can find anything that will work."

My kind of guys.

Bill

Yea its so nice to find some real car guys and when you show them what your trying to do they take the attitude of let me show you what will work. We dont have advantage down south. My fav auto parts store is third generation and almost 100 years old. great guys and the head man still comes to work in a white shirt and tie like in the old days. Hes raised up some fine sons that will carry on when hes gone with great customer service and btw he loves my Alpine. When I discussed the V6 with them they loved the idea. Oh there was one negative guy until I drove up with the finished product. Well thats not exactly correct. Are they ever finished?
Dwain V6 Krazy

britbeam

Donation Time
Brake Master conversion

The master cylinder conversion is now operating and so far so good. After changing all the lines and hoses it took a while to get all the leaks sorted. But yesterday I took her for the maiden voyage with the new brake system. I have better brakes than I had before and safer brakes with the dual system F 10 master. Ran up to speed induced a panic stop she performed straightline with out any funky scary things happening. Now we need some seat time. Im still using the stock brake calipers and drums. I do have the Z car pads up front. All in all time and money well spent.Now I feel I have the best brakes I can have with the stock drums/discs. So now some drive time to prove out the system. If anyone would like pics send me a PM with your email address.
Thanks to all of you who served in our military and have a great holiday.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dwain,

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out and that it seems to work. How does the pedal effort with the F10 master cylinder compare to what you had before? Does the front / rear brake balance seem to be in the ballpark? A proportioning valve should take care of any imbalance, but not needing one would be nice.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry,

If the F10 master has the same size bore for both sections, then the braking balance would be the same as stock.

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain,

Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out and that it seems to work. How does the pedal effort with the F10 master cylinder compare to what you had before? Does the front / rear brake balance seem to be in the ballpark? A proportioning valve should take care of any imbalance, but not needing one would be nice.

Pedal effort good. Balance good straightline and in a curve. Overall Im very happy. I will get more seat time soon but Im lovin it.
Dwain V6 Krazy

britbeam

Donation Time
Barry,

If the F10 master has the same size bore for both sections, then the braking balance would be the same as stock.

Don not sure about the piston sizes in the F10 Master cyl. I didnt disassemble it as it was marked 3/4" on the body of the master and that being close to the original .700 I felt it would be good. But so far so good.
Dwain V6 Krazy

P

Pembertoltd

Dual reservoir

Well I figured that if I have to pull the engine I might as well go to the brake problem. I have the 2.8 in the car and have a booster that i use now but I am loosing fluid (probably inside the boster). What yr is the nissan brake system from and would you recommend the Nissan unit of the Wilwood system and why. Thks for the help

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well I figured that if I have to pull the engine I might as well go to the brake problem. I have the 2.8 in the car and have a booster that i use now but I am loosing fluid (probably inside the boster). What yr is the nissan brake system from and would you recommend the Nissan unit of the Wilwood system and why. Thks for the help

1977 Nissan F10 should do it. I think all years of the F10 used the same master cylinder.

Use the F10 because It is known to work in the Alpine. Outlet ports are conveniently located, the bore size is a pretty good match up and the bolt hole spacing is correct. Not so sure all that can be said about the dual system Wilwood.

Bill