• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine bay struts

britbeam

Donation Time
Are the engine bay struts from firewall to fenderwell really benificial? The drivers side strut is limiting any mastercylinder update as mastercylinders are either too long or to tall or at leaset need a remote reservoir. Are the sruts on series 1&2 Alpines positioned closer to the master cylinder than the later series Alpine? Howbout it anyone have any comment?
Thanks
DwainV6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Are the engine bay struts from firewall to fenderwell really benificial? The drivers side strut is limiting any mastercylinder update as mastercylinders are either too long or to tall or at leaset need a remote reservoir. Are the sruts on series 1&2 Alpines positioned closer to the master cylinder than the later series Alpine? Howbout it anyone have any comment?
Thanks
DwainV6 Krazy
Dwain,

The engine bay struts are very important, because they give ridigity to the body. If you find that one is in the way. you can have a custom bar fabricated, that will give you clearance for whatever master cylinder you might want to use.

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dwain, which master cylinders are you using? I don't remember anyone mentioning this problem with the F10 unit. Maybe they were all later cars. There is a difference in the struts, they won't interchange, but I don't know about the clearances.

Don't trash the brace. After my car was on the rotissorie for a year without the braces, I could not bolt up one side and barely could the other. Installing one side pulled the other side enough I could install the brace. This is on a very solid car. They are essential.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was sure the braces were necessary and that maybe I would have to modify them. I havent actually tried to install the F10 master but the clearance for the stock master looks very close to the strut both in length and height.Does anyone know the length of the F10 Nissan Master cylinder? Now as I mentioned this is a series 2 Alpine. I will have to pickup a F10 MC and giver a go. I remember reading that the struts were installed for front end vibs early on in production.
Nice job on your struts Bill A. Your work is always jam up.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I've ordered Wilwood master cylinders, which are pretty much copies of the Girling oem ones.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've ordered Wilwood master cylinders, which are pretty much copies of the Girling oem ones.

Dwain is shooting for a dual system.

Dwain, after looking at my setup, I don't think you are going to have a problem. My mc uses a single, large reservoir and still clears the brace by about the a half inch. I don't think there is that much difference between the early and late braces, especially that close to the firewall. I'm pretty sure the F10 uses two small reservoirs, so you should be okay.

Parts America (Advance Auto) has a setup that takes a remote reservoir for $134.99.

//www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=RAY&MfrPartNumber=MC39006&PartType=230&PTSet=A

Bill

Alan F

Donation Time
F 10

Can anyone that has used the F10 master cylinder post a picture? everything I have found for the unit shows the mounting ears to be 90 degrees out of phase for the existing Alpine footprint (horizontal).

Thanks,

Alan F

britbeam

Donation Time
Can anyone that has used the F10 master cylinder post a picture? everything I have found for the unit shows the mounting ears to be 90 degrees out of phase for the existing Alpine footprint (horizontal).

Thanks,

Alan F

Alan go to advanceautoparts.com. They have a good picture from different angles and the flanges are in line as the Alpine.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Jim E

Donation Time
Think this was for a Colt or Arrow, but like the one refered to.

1669382mastercylinder.jpg

Alan F

Donation Time
Thanks for the pictures. I don't know what I was looking at but I saw it in more than one place. :confused: If you use the F10, do you have to modify the braces?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Alan

britbeam

Donation Time
Alan I should be able to answer your question next week. I ordered a master cylinder off ebay today that will fit the F10 or 310 Nissan. I will post when I have it in hand.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Alan F

Donation Time
I guess I am not loosing my mind. This the F10 version I found. It looks different than what has been posted. Thanks again for the info. I look forward to some more

Alan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alan, note the fine print at the bottom of the photo? I think that might explain the difference.

Dwain, do you have any info on the MC you bought? As near as I can tell, the F10 and 310 take different MC's, with the 310 unit having a 13/16" bore, not 3/4". This according to partsamerica. Can't find of pic of it, though.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Alan, note the fine print at the bottom of the photo? I think that might explain the difference.

Dwain, do you have any info on the MC you bought? As near as I can tell, the F10 and 310 take different MC's, with the 310 unit having a 13/16" bore, not 3/4". This according to partsamerica. Can't find of pic of it, though.

Bill

Bill Im taking a $15.00 gamble and at worse I can put the part back on ebay. The part I bought was listed as a master for a 310 Nissan. According to a auto parts site I looked at the 1978 F10 & 1979 310 used the same master. They had the same p/n listed for both years.Now we all know inaccuracy does exist in the written word of man. Now here we are back to that picture thing, the picture looks like what I need(flanges in proper position). That being said is this a file photo? Who knows. Some 310 are horizontal flanges. When I get the part I will see what the bore is and post it. If this doesnt work then I will post and then relist it on ebay. The master was also represented as having the plastic connections on the ports for a remote reservoir and also was a new part not a reman. So please nobody go out and buy a 310 master until I can verify info with the part in my hand. Got to start somewhere.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Alan F

Donation Time
Okay.. I guess do need those reading glasses. I have seen several examples listed as F10's that don't look right. They must all be file photos.

I spent about an hour at a local NAPA store going through his entire calatog of MC's looking for a 3/4 inch bore and vertical flanges without any luck. I am glad could get some useful information here.

For those of you converting, please Keep the rest of us posted on how things work out.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan F

Donation Time
Bill,

The master cylinder in the link you attached below is for what application? I have been trying many different kinds of Nissan products and they all seem to have bottom outputs instead of the side like shown in the picture. If they come out of the bottom, they will hit the steering box.

I was trying to find a version that has the tanks and can't seem to figure it out. One thing is for sure, since my reading (or observation) skills have improves thanks to the board, a lot of the pictures are not representative in many of he applications.

Thanks,

Alan

Jim E

Donation Time
Think the NABCO I have is 11/16 or right at .700. When I stuck this thing on my SV LHD clearing the brace is not the problem, but what is in front of the area a stock M/C takes up is. On my S3 RHD V6 it would foul the brace. Looking at the car as though it were LHD the dip stick is in the way and the line to the pull slave. Looks like it would be close to the rocker covers but clear. Now on a four cylinder car running a single DD weber I think it has a chance to clear any dual carb system I am thinking would need remote tanks.