• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dues.

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
I'm trying for the first time to pay my dues (new member). I'm using my visa as I hate paypal and it keeps rejecting my card is there a trick when using credit card instead of paypal

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome Reg!
And as a Gold supporter you will get a 2022 calendar and other goodies too later this year. Do you have a good high res photo of your car we could use in the calendar?
thanks, Eric

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
I do not at the moment but will get one. Should I post are send to you. Not sure if it merits a spot in the calendar. It is a nice solid stock car and will soon be starting conversion to V6 with Dan's conversion kit who I have been talking with. Just gathering parts required to do conversion. Waiting on a 2.8 engine to come from another province. Also searching for performance parts for engine. I spoke to Borla about an intake for the 4.0L but that is not going to happen as they are willing to make but I would be looking at approx 5k and would still need a management system plus rebuild of 4.0. I also inquired with Burton out of England and they put onto Weslake but again very expensive, so back with the 2.8 for now unless something else come about. I have been reading some of the threads on conversions and the one gentleman mentioned that he has a ford 2.3 installed. I will look at the 2.3 to see what parts are available. I had a ford 2.0L back in the day built to McLaren specs and it was a screamer, lots of fun in a Pinto and surprised a lot of V8 people and a few motor bikes when they caught up to me at the next stop light. Not sure if I would go that route as I don't really want to engineer a conversion kit when Dan already has one available for the 2.8. I would like to get as much HP a possible without breaking the bank. My last car was a 1 of 23 documented 2014 300SRT with over 500 ponies under the hood , it was fun to drives but out side of polishing it there was not much else to do to it so it was sold to finance the Alpine build. I have also acquired the Sven Preutt info on how to build/modify a 2.8 engine. I would like to push the 300HP at flywheel if possible with the 2.8 not sure if that is possible with what is available for performance parts for this engine. From what I have read the T5 can be bolted up to the 2.8 so that should take care of tranny. Rear end looking at the ford 8.8, will have to get it narrowed in order to fit. Hopping to get advice on conversion. Once I get my head straight (I'm like a beaver in a lumber yard right now) as to how I'm going to proceed I will post some pics as I progress. I welcome any info that is out there on motor build/conversion.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Congrats. But if you planning on building a street machine, better plan on a turbo. The highest 2.8 dyno results I've seen ob this site tickle the underside of 200 hp. Higher than that and most would call the engine not really streetable. Maybe plan on building Ford 4.0. Still, 300 hp would require an extraordinary build. The good side is that the 4.0 at 250 hp has something the 2.8 will never have: TORQUE
Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I’ll be putting mine on the dyno in Spring. I’ll post results.

this thing pulls like a freight train

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Welcome Reg!
And as a Gold supporter you will get a 2022 calendar and other goodies too later this year. Do you have a good high res photo of your car we could use in the calendar?
thanks, Eric
Do you guys still need pics? Greg asked me to shoot my dad’s car but I haven’t had the chance. If you still need pics, I’ll shoot this week.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
260-It’s still “learning” and occasionally stalls coming to a light.

Otherwise it’s fine. Car runs strong immediate response. Since you’re in Washington come down in spring and drive it. I’d appreciate an objective opinion.

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
Hey Jim I have come across the Ranger station but I don't think their 2.8 section thank you for the link I will have a look.
Bill thank you for the info one the 2.8. I might be dreaming on the 300HP. Not sure if a turbo would be the way to go to achieve 300HP due to the required extra tubing with such a small engine bay maybe a centrifugal blower, less plumbing. I still have not ruled out the 4.0 OHV engine just need to over come the intake height. I was at a family dinner today and was able to have a conversation with my cousin who is some years younger then I and a JDM/Toyota fanatic who has some experience with injection/engine management. He was telling me that I'm wasting my time with the mega/mini squirt system and to look into Links as it is what he is using. He says that it is relatively plug and play at about 800 bucks. He has used the squirt systems and outside of wanting to do the actual programing there is no benefit compared to Links. Now just need to figure out the intake on the 4.0 as I don't want to cut hood
Nick/Series 6 what do you have for an engine

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Reg: just my 2 cents, but even if 300 HP is not achievable, the 2.8 can still deliver neck-snapping power. I drove and rode in Jim Ellis' S3 V6 (aka "Vader") and it was one of the three fastest Sunbeams I have ever been in. Just for perspective, the other two were Michael King's Tiger (with, I believe a hot 351 V8) and Bryan Holm's turbo-charged monster 1725, so that puts the hot 2.8 in pretty good company. Jim used every trick in the Ranger Station book, plus I am sure a few of his own and documented the build on an earlier version of the forum. That (lengthy) thread can be downloaded from Mike Hartman's website (http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/info). Click on the searchable "V6 Articles Archive" and then open "Jim E" parts 1, 2 and 3. Happy reading!

Reg from Canada

Donation Time
Thank you Jim for the link. And I think the more research I do the more I'm coming to the realization that 300 will be unattainable. I do plan on building to Sven Pruett's 2.8 lay out so 240 to 250 should be attainable. In a car that weights 2100lbs the power to weight ratio will be thrilling. I also want to build so that I can have years of trouble free motoring that I can use as a daily driver during the summer her in Canada. So a little chassis work will also be require

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Nick, Appreciate the offer to test drive your car! Maybe this spring I'll drive down and check it out.