• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.9 V6 info

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Greg on the MGB board used to race Capris and modified the 2.6 Offy dual port to fit. A few bolt holes moved and port matched. Distributor is 2.8 Duraspark with 2.9 drive gear. Drive gear pitch is opposite from 2.8 and though the cam rotates opposite from 2.8 because of chain drive, distributor rotation is the same.

gregs capri 1.jpg gregs capri 2.jpg gregs capri 3.jpg

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, I mispoke. The 4.0 cam sensor/oil pump drive is the same as the 2.9. I was thinking the 2.8 distributor should work for the 4.0 as well.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Greg just joined this board and can go into more detail from his experience with the Cologne motors.

twentyover

Donation Time
Hi Sunbeam Alpine swappers. Greg Fast here, I'm the guy with the Chevy Orange 2.9 Jim shows in the first post. I wrote Jim a lengthy rambling history about the engine, and rather than repost it I think the best idea is for me to tighten the editing and give a bit of background.

The engine was being developed for SCCA GT-2 road racing in a 70's Capri. It is based on the 2.9 Cologne- the block shown was from a Merkur Scorpio, with World S/R heads an acceptable alternative in the GCR's. The Ranger/ Bronco II are essntially the same engine, and could be used in place of the Scorpio engine. Unfortunately, the plan was screwed up by letting in a bunch of faster cars in, and it looked like the engine became uncompetitive before we got finished. The other hitch- World stopped producing 2.9 heads. My co-conspirator on this deal was about to buy the tooling (they were offering it for fractions of cents on the dollar), but I talked him out of it. We worked with a head guy and ended up with some pretty decent numbers, never got the engine on a dyno. This particular engine has a .530 cam, smith bros pushrods, re-ratio'd stock rockers

Something that may be of interest with this engine- we used 5.4" rods from a 331 (?) or maybe 347 SBF stroker kit, along with the Clevite now Mahle SBF racing bearing for the rods. Had to cut the crank cheeks a little, and crank had to have an ultra precision grind, and there was like a .001 difference in diameter (most grinder will just take off .010, but these bearings were only available in stock SBF size. Pistons are Diamond forgings, had to send a plaster casting of the head to get the compression ratio desired- and even then, couldn't get as high as we wanted.

Chain driven cam does rotate opposite the gear driven 2.6 and 2.8, there is a specific distributor drive gear that combined with the cut of the drive gear on the cam spin the 2.6 & 2.8 distributors the same direction as a 2.6/2.8. So the advance mechanism in the 2.6/2.8 distributor works. At one point I bought all the 2.9 distibutor drive gears Rock Auto listed, they may have refilled the supply chain. I recall there was a difference in the distributor shaft diameters- I think we had to shim the 2.8 dizzy for the larger bore of the 2.9 dizzy drive gear. I prefer the reliability of the Duraspark. Another spark related issue is the 2.9 oil pump driveshaft uses TORKS type spline to drive the oil pump, while the 2.8 uses a traditional Hex shaped shaft. The easy button was to grind down the distributor side of the shaft to a hex shape, and let the oil pump use the existing TORKS shape. I forget if we needed to add weld filler to the distributor TORKS to grind own and make the hex happen.

There is another solution to this- some German guys are cutting the distributor shaft apart and grafting a 2.9 lower shaft by the gear to the 2..6/2.8 upper shaft and pinning the deal together. They were workig with Bosch distributors, I ended up pulling what remaining hair I have out on the process, I recommend not taking this path. The pin holes do not alighn, it becomes a bigger problem than what it's worth.

The other issue was carb intake. The US and European 2.6 & 2.8 use a 5 port head, with intake spacing roughly the same as the 2.9. I used an OFFY 2.6, we had to relocate a couple of the manifold hold down bolt locations, but it was basically then just port matching. Thinking the early 2.6 and European 2.8 could be configured similarly. US 2.8 has irregularly spaced intake ports, it's a fatal issue.

Read comments on the 2.9 V6 Info thread- have some comments-

If I remember correctly, the 2.9 and 4.0 set the distributor/oil pump drive directly on the block, and location is unaffected by deck height. The distributor does not pass through the intake.
I would not recommend using a 2.9 distributor gear for a 4.0- the 4.0 uses a roller tappet cam, and a steel cam core used with rollers has proven problematic in other engine types. Simple solution is to use the 4.0 gear.
We had larger diameter intake and same diameter exhausts made in stainless, & Ti spring retainers made

The 2.6 and European 2.8's use the 5 port head, with port spacing very similar to the 2.9. I'm thinking they could be modified to work. The US 2.8 used a 6 port head that's not even close.

My co-conspirator still has a bunch of killer intake and exhaust valves, Ti valve spring retainers, and a bunch of miscellanea if anyone is interested.

It was a fun project that took us a couple years. By the time we were close the motor would never stand a chance. Makes a nice base for a coffee table...

One intake option for the 2.9 is the Ford Scorpio FI intake- it looks great. I've been able to purchase a few of them from ebay UK, and actually found a guy parting out a Scorpio in the US and snagged his.

Mo' later

twentyover

Donation Time
And just because I'm scatter brained-

There is a cheap 2.9 high compression piston available. Mahle makes a 94mm piston for the aircooled VW guys, in two versions, one for a stroker and one for a non-stroker motors. The correct one is essentially flat topped zero deck pistons in a 2.9, should be good for maybe 10:1. Mahle claims they are forgings, some aftermarket guys say no way, parting lines indicate casting. I'm not smart enough to be able to tell.

Walk into an aircooled bug shop, and ask for Mahle 94A or 94B. One is for the stroker, one is for stock stroke motors. Forgot which one is right for the 2.9. Told you I was scatter brained.

High compression piston for 4.0 OHV comes from a 4.0 OHC. Think it's also about 10:1, has a flat top w/ same compression height as the early 4.0. Think 95 and later have a different head casting, this would provide too much compression. If anyone thinks I know something helpful, please just ask. I'll be sure to prove them wrong :)

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Greg, Another thing to help would be a way to shorten the front belt setup? Not much room between engine and radiator. What damper is on your motor in the picture?

twentyover

Donation Time
Engine is wearing an ATI dampener. This is a 2 piece deal, with a custom hub and a chevy dampening wheel. There is no integral pulley- it uses a BBC pulley screwed to the hub, projecting in front of the dampening wheel.

Never investigated a different pulley setup

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greg, I would really appreciate some close up PIC's of your front balancer and pulleys. Some measurements would also be greatly appreciated. Any comparison between the stock and your balancer/pulleys too!

Thanks,

twentyover

Donation Time
Dan- the engine never got to that point where I mounted a water pump, and crank and W/P pulley. It pretty much sits as in the picture.

The engine is in WA right now, while I'm in MI with the house move, I'll try to continue minor assembly next time I'm there at the end of August. I'll at least try to get better close up pictures. It will be hit and miss with assembly/pictures until I complete the cross country move later this year.

Not trying to impress or scare anyone, but the balancer was not an easy or inexpensive piece- the hub was about $450, the wheel about $400 and a 15 week wait. Because that's what it costs to go racing. And the reason it took almost 4 years for the engine to go from and idea about connecting rods to it's current state.

My wife better not see this or I'm a dead man....

twentyover

Donation Time
Clarkston MI (a suburb of detroit- about halfway between Detroit and Flint, near Pontiac
to
Leavenworth WA- Actually about halfway between the town of Leavenworth and Stevens Pass along US Hiway 2

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Greg, Rocker ratio? Offset bushing towards pushrod end. Hollow pushrods. Pushrod oiling? What lifters, V8?

Last edited:

twentyover

Donation Time
I believe the ratio is 1.55:1, stock being 1.5:1. Had Rocker Arms Unlimited redrill a set of 2.8 adjustable rocker adjuster screws at an angle, needed specific pushrods as a result. Oiling is as factory. Lifters are SBF solid lifters.