• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door Glass Re-install

RHFG

Donation Time
I'm putting new glass in the doors along with new ant-rattle and outside weather strips along with new clips.

What is the best order to fit? The gap is quite small if the strips are fitted first and hard to fit if the glass is fitted first, and of course trying not to scratch the new glass.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Glass

Put the anti rattle strips in first and the outer seals after the window is installed,and be sure the clips in for the outer strips are in really good shape
Rick has some newer ones by the way which seem to have more tension.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have all the parts laid out in the shed and not sure how best to tackle it either. I've searched forums and found some good tips, just need to put them all in order and start.

From what I've read:
Inner anti-rattle strip goes onto the door - may need to put contact adhesive onto the clips to better secure the strip. Masking tape around the opening on top of the door will protect the paint and the window glass from scratches.

New channel strips in the window guides - may need a rivet at the bottom end to stop them sliding up and down with the glass - the originals were spot-welded in.

Rear vertical guide goes in - leave all the screws loose.

Put the winding mechanism in the door cavity but don't put in any screws just yet.

Remove the small end-stop on the channel that the rollers on the winding mechanism roll in. Now slide the glass into the door cavity from the front of the door, making use of the wider opening for the 1/4 window for the metal channel at the bottom of the window.

As the window goes in through the top of the door, slide it onto the rollers of the mechanism. Lift up the mechanism and start fitting the retaining screws.

Now fit the outer door seal, again use a little contact cement in the clips to help hold the weather strip in place. Refit the 1/4 window.

Last part, start tightening screws/bolts, wind up and down and adjust repeatedly - put up the top and/or fit hardtop to check top edge. Remember to refit the end-stop in the winding mechanism

Any comments anyone?

Cheers,
Paul
Windowless in Adelaide.

Last edited:

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just to close off this topic, the basic instructions above, combined with the instructions that come with the seals, worked for me. The outer seal, which has given others troubles, seems to be staying in place for me so far. I used clips bought from Sunbeam Specialties in early 2014, and used a 'dob' of contact cement in each clip before fitting the seal into them as Michael King suggested in another thread.

I also found that the rear channel felt was very (very!) tight on the glass until I sprayed some silicone lubricant into the channel, then slid the glass in. Until then, the fit was so tight that the winding mechanism was bowing and catching on itself when raising the window. Rear felt also came from SS at the same time.

The screws at the bottom of the window channels were tricky to get back in. I found that running a tap through the threads of the captive nuts in the channels helped a lot to get the screws started. The two rear channels on my car had the bottom mounting bracket broken off - which I suspect is from them being out of alignment and twisting as the window moves down. Something to check as you reassemble.

Thanks to everyone here that has chipped in with help on this topic.

Lastly, I am continually surprised that we can still buy such good quality repro seals etc for these 50 year old cars. A big thanks to the US and UK companies that keep us on the road.

Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited: