• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door Closing Pads

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Can someone send a picture of where the door closing pad is located. Have them but not sure of location.
Thinking it's just below the door post cap and attached to one of the screws there.
Thanks, Bob

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, Pete. Great shot and yes it clears it up as I was thinking a different spot.:)

Ray3

Gold Level Sponsor
This image should clear up a lot of the mystery.
Finishing my restoration I have exactly the same question as Bob had! But - could it be that this is not a part for all Sunbeam Alpine series (mine is a Series II)?
My Sunbeam is actually out of house and I can't compare. I would appriciate very much a picture of the same part, but in a greater scale - and possibly from an other angle.
Thank you for your support over the ocean ;)

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Finishing my restoration I have exactly the same question as Bob had! But - could it be that this is not a part for all Sunbeam Alpine series (mine is a Series II)?
My Sunbeam is actually out of house and I can't compare. I would appriciate very much a picture of the same part, but in a greater scale - and possibly from an other angle.
Thank you for your support over the ocean ;)
Seeing as you're from Switzerland, where my parents married and honeymooned...

I don't know where I took that photo. I believe the car was a S-IV or S-V Alpine at a local Florida show. As far as whether the part is used on a S-II Alpine... I really don't know. Do you happen to have a copy of the parts book?

I'd be happy to take some more images for you. What angles/scale would help?

Ray3

Gold Level Sponsor
To get an answer quicker is almost not possible - if you consider the Atlantic between!
I'm at home in the north-eastern part of Switzerland. Had your parents visited Zürich or the lake of Constance - that's the region i'm living in.
Looks from above and a bit farther away would help.
And to show you what we are talking about I add a picture of my Series II.

Thanks you for your help!
Ray (comes from Raimund in German)

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_171618.jpg
    IMG_20231007_171618.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
To get an answer quicker is almost not possible - if you consider the Atlantic between!
I'm at home in the north-eastern part of Switzerland. Had your parents visited Zürich or the lake of Constance - that's the region i'm living in.

They married in Zurich, October 1956.

My factory parts book does not show a rubber wedge for Series I & II in that position. It begins with the Series III and the new style hardtop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-01 144702.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 144702.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 144531.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 144531.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 6

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Even though that pad wasn't used on the early series cars I wonder if it would fit...seems like a good idea to prevent paint chippings, door rattle, etc...anybody know?

alpine_64

Donation Time

That's a stunning series II.. beautiful restoration!

The door closing pad came in on the series 3 and continued till the end of production. It came in with the introduction of the new B post cap which can out further over the door than the earlier cars.

I suspect it wasn't just to quiet the closing of the door but also to help prevent the door overclosing and having its paint chiped by the B post cap .. the series V they cut the b-post cap back much further to stop this contact.

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a source for the early Alpine dash pad finishers (155 or 156) shown in the attached picture? Thanks.

dash end finishers.jpg

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Series II dash pad finishers were metal covered with plastic material. The 155 and 156 parts are from a later series Alpine, note the plastic dash panel not found in Series II dash.

Attachments

• Sunbeam 003.jpg
    Sunbeam 003.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 10

alpine_64

Donation Time
Series II dash pad finishers were metal covered with plastic material. The 155 and 156 parts are from a later series Alpine, note the plastic dash panel not found in Series II dash.
Gary,

The 155 and 156 are the early series parts.. the series 3 onward didn't use the end finishers as they changed the design of the window channel support on the door.

The parts you show are the early series parts but they used to bei imbeded in a moulded rubber to seal against the base of the chrome guides for the early style door windows

alpine_64

Donation Time
note the plastic dash panel not found in Series II dash.
If you are referring to the plastic heater escutcheon.. that was introduced on the late series II and continued into series 3 before the GT heater escutcheon became standard on both ST and GT models. ;)

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Alpine 64, the parts I showed were from my Series II and you are correct they sealed the window channel support, but also were the end caps for the dash pad, which is what TWAutomotive was looking for.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine 64, the parts I showed were from my Series II and you are correct they sealed the window channel support, but also were the end caps for the dash pad, which is what TWAutomotive was looking for.
Gary, yes aware they finish the dash pad toomm it does both.

The ones in the parts book are for the early cars. The late cars they are eliminated due to the quarter window base.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Btw Gary... If you have them off the car it would be great to get dimensions...these are the kind of NLA part that would be great for 3d printing

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Btw Gary... If you have them off the car it would be great to get dimensions...these are the kind of NLA part that would be great for 3d printing
They are made of thin sheet metal and have a small radius edge that is not necessary for a new part. I could not get my printer to scan my drawing so I attach a photo with dimensions. The holes on the curve are not for mounting and would only be used with a coating to allow better attachment. The other two holes are for mounting screws into the end of the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 11