• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Changing of the guard.... or V6 kit progress

Jim E

Donation Time
Jimmy emailed me to say the master kit I ordered is on the way. So we are one step closer to the new production of the conversion kit. Once I have a kit in had and the jigs I can shop for folks to produce the parts for us.

I do want to thank Jimmy for making beautiful parts for us and helping with the transition.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
This is great news, and I hope I'm near the top of the list to get one. I'm working on the engine now and the car itself (sans engine and tranny) arrives in the a.m. I inspected it in VA last week and am satisfied with the overal structural integrity of the vehicle--a little body rust but otherwise in great shape. Last week I also picked up the T5 tranny I bought, which appears to be in good shape, and I found the right bellhousing (after one misstep) the other day. I should have most of the basic parts ready when the kits are available again. As soon as the car arrives, I can get started on the tunnel mod and reworking the brakes and a whole slew of internal things--gauges, etc. I'll be off from mid-May till early July (I teach college) and will have time on my hands, my oil-stained, bruised and battered hands.

Sam

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi, I am new to the forum and am interested in the conversion kits. What all is included in the kit? I have a new engine however I will need a trans,bell housing and apparently the front plate and pulleys from a Mustang II. Is this correct?
Thanks for any helpful info.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi, I am new to the forum and am interested in the conversion kits. What all is included in the kit? I have a new engine however I will need a trans,bell housing and apparently the front plate and pulleys from a Mustang II. Is this correct?
Thanks for any helpful info.
Here is the old price list, (new prices haven't been set). It will give you an idea of all the parts we make. We don't know yet what the prices will be, Whether more or stay the same, but when we get up and running, we will post the new price sheet.

ALPINE SIX PARTS LIST PRICE SHEET

Basic Kit:
Motor Mounts, Transmission Support Cross member, Equal Length Tubular Headers.
Cost: $910

Modified Steering Link:
Cost: $165

Alternator Bracket:
Cost: $100

Pilot Bearing Adapter:
Cost: $100 + $5.00 shipping

Modify Thermostat Housing
Cost: $45 exchange

Shipping and Handling:
Cost: $55

Prices subject to change without notice.

You are correct in that you'll need the front timing cover and water pump from Mustang II. You can modify the Ranger lower pulley, so it will not interfere with the front crossmember, but you can still use the water pump pulley, although it will look a bit funny, running just one belt, but it will get you by until you can find a Mustang II water pump pulley.

Jose:)

Jim E

Donation Time
Update. I have what I am refering to as the Master Kit in hand, this is the kit I will use to seek out builders once I have the jigs. We are one step closer to being in production. Thanks to everyone for bearing with Jose and I while we go thru this transition. We propose to have kits on the shelf ready to ship at your request in the near future, as in no waiting. Regards Jim E

Jim E

Donation Time
Just recieved a box of templates which will help in sourcing a company to water or lazer cut the flat pieces.

Hoping to get by the shop that did my exhaust today to show them the headers and see if they are interested in bending them up for us. Oh and to get a muffler replaced managed to run over something and rip the back off a muffler.... arrggg

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update. I have what I am refering to as the Master Kit in hand, this is the kit I will use to seek out builders once I have the jigs. We are one step closer to being in production. Thanks to everyone for bearing with Jose and I while we go thru this transition. We propose to have kits on the shelf ready to ship at your request in the near future, as in no waiting. Regards Jim E

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Could you have one ready in time for my birthday, May 13?

Sam

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Jim, just curious.
Does ANYBODY mak ANY header for the 2.8
If so, might be worth trying to source the flange plates.
Could be worth the research, maybe.????????

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
B-Day Priority

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Could you have one ready in time for my birthday, May 13?

Sam[/QUOTE]

Nanner-nanner-nanner! Beat you! 7 May-Ha! :D Thanks Mom and Dad!

All kidding aside. I have so much to do on this roller, I'm still a ways away, so I can wait a few months. No problem sending a deposit to help with the raw materials so Jim E. doesn't have to bankroll the start up. I'd recommend anyone interested in a kit to offer the same.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim, just curious.

I've found lots of Ranger and Bronco II headers on the internet--Racer Walsh, even Summit--but Jose recommends steering clear of them because of the fitting problems. You could probably buy 2.8 headers, but they'd still have to be modified significantly before they'd work.

I also told Jim and Jose awhile back that I'd be happy to send a deposit, but they gave me the impression that they were satisfied that everybody who wanted a kit was ready to buy when they're ready. I've just buried a whole slew of snuff tins in the back yard and will dig them up at the appropriate time.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jim, just curious.

I've found lots of Ranger and Bronco II headers on the internet--Racer Walsh, even Summit--but Jose recommends steering clear of them because of the fitting problems. You could probably buy 2.8 headers, but they'd still have to be modified significantly before they'd work.

I also told Jim and Jose awhile back that I'd be happy to send a deposit, but they gave me the impression that they were satisfied that everybody who wanted a kit was ready to buy when they're ready. I've just buried a whole slew of snuff tins in the back yard and will dig them up at the appropriate time.
The reason that the Alpine needs a dedicated set of headers, is that the steering box is so close, plus, the tubes need to go forward for a bit, to miss the steering arms, then back and out to the sides. You might be able to fit the Alpine headers onto a Ranger or other vehicle, because they have way more clearance, but I'm sure you won't get away with it the other way arround.

Jose :)

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Just recieved a box of templates which will help in sourcing a company to water or lazer cut the flat pieces(What Jim said)

Jim, just curious.
Could be worth the research, maybe.????????(What I said)

I also told Jim and Jose awhile back that I'd be happy to send a deposit, but they gave me the impression that they were satisfied that everybody who wanted a kit was ready to buy when they're ready. I've just buried a whole slew of snuff tins in the back yard and will dig them up at the appropriate time.(What Rsgwnn1 said)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW Boys and Girls,
My response to Jim was pertaining to the FLANGES.
Not buying headers for a Bus, the Spaceshuttle or any other vehicle and trying to make them work.
I was referring to the FLANGES, you know the flat piece that attaches to the block. The piece that will be the same for ANY vehicle as long as it runs a 2.8!
MY THINKING IS THAT IF ONE WERE TO CONTACT A MANUFACTURER OF 2.8 HEADERS, ANY 2.8 HEADERS, ONE MIGHT PURCHASE THE FLANGES RATHER THAN SOURCE SOMEONE TO MAKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is this horse dead yet?
I thought sure Jose would have known what I was saying.
Anyhow, that's what I would do.
Sorry for the suggestion.

Jim E

Donation Time
Jeff it is a thought, not sure if they would want to deal with us on low numbers of flanges, but maybe. Really will not do much sourcing until I have everything in hand to see what all can be cut out or just how to go about it. THere is a local place that does the cutting with either water or lazer cannot recall but I do know the intitial set up is a bit pricey.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jeff,

When I said what I said about not trying to use headers for another application, I was responding to Sam's comment about my recommending not using any other header, becaise they just would need a lot of modifying, in order to make them fit. Sam qouted an e-mail I had sent him in response to the question he'd asked. I wasn't trying to say anything about sourcing header flanges from another supplier. Sorry it wasn't clear. Your suggestion was a good one and I'm sure Jim will look into it.

Jose:)

Chris_64

Donation Time
V6 Kits

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum last night for the main reason of a V6 conversion. I own a 64' series IV. From reading these posts it sounds like V6 Jose is letting someone else produce the kits??? I am very interested in joining the line of people waiting for kits. I'm not sure who to contact or the costs of the complete kit, or even who will eventually be doing the majority of the labor installing the kit. Any help would be appreciated.

I have lots to catch up on.