• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

by-pass amp gage

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking for info on by-passing my amp gage ( taking it out of the circuit ).
Seems it has failed when re-installing my dash.
So no power to the ignition switch. I'll install a volt meter in its place.
Help much appreciated.
Bob

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Of course it depends upon how the ammeter was wired into your car. Original wiring?

Simplest option is to connect the two wires together that were connected to the ammeter. But then you have extra wires coming and going through the firewall for no reason. They provide an opportunity for a short to ground on an un-fused circuit, so some chance of a fire if they short.

It is better to eliminate those wires if possible. If you trace the wires, I suspect they will go back through the firewall and into the engine bay. One wire should be connected to the fuse box. The other wire is probably connected to a brown wire that goes to the starter solenoid - the same connector on the solenoid where the thick battery cable connects. You'd take the brown wire that goes to the starter solenoid and connect it to the fuse box at the same place where the one wire from the ammeter is currently connected to the fuse box.

From WSM 145 for series V:
1681242698074.png

Mike

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for this. Just printed it off so I can take it to the garage. Good call on getting those wires out of the cabin.
Expect I'll solder them along with a connector and shrink wrap.
Bob

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The wire ends on the wires connecting the ammeter might just be push spade connectors on both ends.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
yup, push spade connectors. Dodge forum suggests they are actually the worst connector for amp guages. ( not sure why ) but spades have been the cause of much trouble in Dodge vehicles that had amp guages.
Thanks and "keep your stick on the ice"
Bob.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good thread here on wiring a voltmeter, where I see you were a participant.

Mike