• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring colour.

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
I have an (disconnected) amp gauge on my Alpine 5. The car has an alternator. I am going to replace the amp gauge with an volt-meter because it is more sense.
Brown and brown-white are the amp wires. But what kind of wires am I going to use for the voltmeter so I will have "UK standard wire colour"?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
For the volt meter, all you need is a switched power source ( one that turns on with the ign key)
and a ground. You can get that switched power right off the ignition switch. You can use any
wire you'd like as voltmeters weren't in the stock wiring loom, just use a decent size ( not too big
like the ammeter wires or too small.) They're very easy to hook up.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Brown wires - unfused, always hot
White wires - unfused, hot via ignition switch
Green wires - fused, hot via ignition switch

I'd probably hook up the volt meter to the green fused circuit. That would provide feedback if that fuse has blown.

Mike

upload_2022-6-17_12-51-55.png

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike ; Is their an un-cropped coloured wiring diagram available? ( pardon my British spelling)
bob

Kristian Jonsson

Donation Time
When looking under the dashboard and studying the wire mess I notice this unusual wire. It's not attached to anything and has this old style material. Unlike the other usual and plastic ones.
Do you also have this wire?

sladd.jpg

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am guessing someone added that wire later on. Its insulation is different - looks like a fabric material. Also notice that the wire runs along side the wiring harness tape wrap section and is attached via a plastic zip tie. All the other wires emerge from the harness tape wraps at the point where they need to. Are you able to trace it back to somewhere?

Mike

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
My son makes and sells A3 size colour laminated posters of all Alpine and Tiger wiring diagrams (as well as M.G., Austin Healey, Triumph, Norton etc). He has done this for a number of years and has a very large range. These posters brighten up the garage walls and are really useful, being laminated they just wipe clean when they get grubby. If you want one you can e-mail him on nickraymond@mac.com

Tim R

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Regarding the SV wiring diagram, I think it's great that Mike has assembled and organized so many useful documents on his site, but all should be aware that this document, and many others, has been on this SAOCA website for over a decade: You can find tons of info under "Tech Data"

Specifically, for the SV wiring diagram:
s5_diagram.pdf (sunbeamalpine.org)

Tom

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I knew the SV wiring document was on the SAOCA site, but I did a quick scan of the Tech Data pages and didn't find it. Looking a little harder, I did find it now on the Electrical Components page. I think I initially missed it because it is buried in a section titled "Series I & Series II – LHD".

Thanks,
Mike