• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bob Brissenden - in memoriam

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Sad to report the passing of Bob Brissenden yesterday at the age of 85 in Valencia, Spain. He retired there from Kent in the UK with his wife Rita at the end of the 1990's. He owned the HLM 177RNK which he restored "his way - like Frank Sinatra" as he used to say, purchasing it around 1990. Some modifications were due to some original parts being absent and in the case of the vinyl roof it was because he got fed up with repainting it due to the cracking fibreglass. He was a master mechanic and capable of welding anything and fabricating whatever he needed. His latest projects included a V8 Rapier and a V8 Alpine modified to accommodate his spare C or D Harrington roof. I don't think either was finished. I believe he sold his Tiger recently. His Sunbeam story dates back to 1990 or maybe even earlier.

One problem for his family to solve will be sorting out his extensive workshop tools and stock of Sunbeam spares. I visited him in early 2017, a couple of years after he lost Rita, and the magnitude of everything and apparent total disarray frightened me. However, he knew where everything was and told me "it won't be my problem". He enjoyed hosting visitors and would treat them to meals at his local taverna where he used to eat regularly. He also posted near daily photos of his culinary achievements on Facebook perhaps to show his family back home that he was in good shape and eating healthily.

Bob acquired many Sunbeam friends in the Kent area, including Andy Goldsmith who told me he spoke to Bob's son at this years SAOC National in Kent. So we have hope that the family will get the very best advice and help sorting everything out.

Please take a look at the links below on the Harrington site as they tell Bob's story far better than I can.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very sad to hear that since I knew him personally from several UK events, a visit he paid to our National @ Nordheim in his highly tuned "Autobahn" HLM as he called it and a counter visit to his home in Spain during a Spanish Rootes Club National. A real Sunbeam character who indeed did things his way, while on the other hand being very knowledgeable about all things Rootes.
Bob, rest in piece - we'll definitely miss you...

Last edited: