• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Astro Hardtop

Tullamore

Donation Time
I wish I was closer but maybe one of you will put it to good use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160308443291

8e91_1.JPG

8f5d_1.JPG

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time

Now this would be cool. I like being positive but I don't think I will ever be able to get my hands on a Harrington, this may be my next best thing to it.:eek:
That is in "trying"to look like a Harrington. It seems a little too blubble like on the back window, yet it may look better if it was painted red to match the car that it is on.

Andrew

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

This has been up for sale a few times already. I don't know if it's the same seller or not. The jury is still out for me with the astro top. Some angles it looks good, but side on give me a Harrington anytime. Maybe if I see it restored, it may give me a better outlook. I think the fixings could look a bit better as well.

Regards, Robin.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve-do you think the fastback top on your MGA is also an Astro top? Astro made tops to fit many cars of the 60's. Just wondering.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The astro in the auction is a S3-V/Tiger only top, it wont fit earlier cars due to side window shape and front header rail profile. As a side note Astro made that style fastback to fit sprites and a few others.. so woul dbe interesting to see the dimension differences in the moulds.. given a sprite and alpine would require different lengths. Also the person in te auctino used the images i scanned and put in the forum and on my webshots page..

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If anything, someone should buy it and bring it to the invasion so we can all look and study it. That would be fun.

Jim E

Donation Time
There was a car on ebay a year or so back that had this top and the same or very near same color, could be the same top.

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think it is the same top from that car Jim. It had a California plate on it. Seems like Ian was trying to buy it, not sure what happened and why he did not end up getting it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
IIRC that hardtop was bought by the same used ID selling it. I seem to remember they had bought it for a customers car they were doing up.. guess they decided they dont like the look. Also you would need to fab a new rear window.. not to mention all the seals,headlining and other bits it might need.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If anything, someone should buy it and bring it to the invasion so we can all look and study it. That would be fun.

Well Jan, it appears you are the closest.

Does it allow direct trunk access, or do you have to throw the spare in from the rear seat area? Looks like a neat top but I'm thinking I don't like the trunk access.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I dunno... looks kinda ugly to me. Besides, how the heck do you hide that awful hole that's left when you remove the boot lid? I mean the spare tire and the rim of the boot access area are clearly visible through the rear window. Was there supposed to be some sort of tonneau cover that went over the top of the boot (where the lid was removed)?

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
The license plate panel has hinges on it so as to provide access to the trunk. It would still be hard to get stuff in and out of there though.

Jim E

Donation Time
So it went from one coast to the other.... bet shipping was more than the top. I thought they were ugly when I first saw one but it grew on me.

Eric you got one of these right?

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do have one and luckily the rear window is in good shape! It is missing the rear cover's hinges though and I am not sure what the originals look like.