• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Fender Badge question

Stormb10

Donation Time
I'm restoring a Series 2 and wondered if somebody might know the answer to a question about the front fender badges (or lack of). My car is a very late S2 built in late November of '62 and is a '63 model. From what I can tell S2s didn't come with a badge below the Alpine script, however mine has badges and the three holes in each fender below where the script goes to attach them. Is it possible they started putting badges on cars late in the run or was this a dealer prep item? I ask because I'm fairly confident the fenders are original and the holes seem factory (they seem stamped). I wanted to know as I'm about to paint the car and am not sure whether to get ride of the holes as being imposters or to leave them. As always, thanks for the help. Tom

alpine_64

Donation Time
Tom,
the sheilds bellow the badges started on S3 Alpine, they had "SERIES 3" in the insert with a bibbed background. On the SIV alpines they had "SERIES IV" and also installed a sheildon the vertical boot (trunk) face.. series V the same but used the standard across the rootes range "ROOTES 1725"

The factory never installed them on the series II and there are no sheild badges that would have been suitable for that purpose 9series Ii or 1592/1600 etc.. ).

Paul N.

Donation Time
We have found one Series II with original paint in one of the metallics supposedly used only on Series IIIs and Rootes did use "1600" inserts on some models so I wouldn't rule it out on very late Series IIs.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul,

While maybe someone might have fitted shields to the car in period.. i think the odds of it been done at the factory are limited. I could go into my late SII a '63 as an example.. later style hood prop (not scuttle mounted etc) and the cross over to the perspex escutcheon heater bezel.. but both those are cover in the parts manual, never seen any documents for the shields on SII's or indeed seen any period pics with them... while you could argue it was "possible" its more likely that if a SII car had them they are something the owner.. maybe dealer fitted.

Factory fitted possible... sure.. probable.. not so sure

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Seems like a drill would cause distortion making it impossible to create one hole, let alone three in close proximity.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Michael, I think it's unlikely as well - I'm just saying I wouldn't rule it out as we've found one Series II painted from new in a Series III colour. Believe it or not, we've also found a Series IV prototype with 1962 glass!

Have you also considered that the wings might have been replaced after an accident? Tom is confident they haven't but doesn't rule it out.

Paul N.

Donation Time
By the way, did you know that Rootes weren't the only company to use those shields? I can't find any close-ups but check out the C-posts on these Maltese assembled Austin 1100s.

DSC04749a.jpg

3287727134_339ed841de.jpg
4018778467_cfb0c1758c_z.jpg

Having seen them "in the flesh" I can vouch for them being the same chrome surrounds but with Maltese Cross badges in.

Paul N.

Donation Time
I've just found this:-

Huntercarassemblybadge100310.jpg

It's on a Hunter and the guy says it was used on all cars assembled in Malta - regardless of make.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul,

interesting badge... assume you have posted that just as an aside.. lotus used the rootes shield surrounds on the elans and elan +2's.They had badges that proclaimed their world championship wins and indy 500 wins.. you could fit that to an alpine/tiger!

Also there are all the imp range shields.. i have seen a few UK MKII Tigers with "MARK 2" imp shields on them.. not original.. but they are the correct period.. but not factory fitted.

On the SII.. glad you agree the unliekly factory fitting.. the guard replacement would stack up.. but assume they would have had to replace both front guards with S3 ones (assuming the car was to still have original small indicator light holes that would not be present on the later SIV/V guards :cool:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Seems like a drill would cause distortion making it impossible to create one hole, let alone three in close proximity.

Why impossible?

I have done this and if you really want it is pretty easy.Of course there is a bit of planning before just getting the drill and start drilling