• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine at Barrett-Jackson

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
yeah, you see these from time to time, usually as abandoned projects

to me, this is worse of an abomination than a V6 in an Alpine - at least the V6 in an Alpine sort of makes sense, and most I've seen are nice conversions that look right (guess I'm softening on my position over the years) - there's something very wrong about a classic 50's sport / touring car with a big 'ol American V8 in it - yuck (my opinion) :(

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Seems like a lot more of these "updated" classics are going across Barrett-Jackson, etc. I thought this one wasn't done too badly, except for the front grill. Probably handles decently, too, with the Mustang II front end.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Come on, Scott. You know that old iron was created so people could drop Chevys into them. Besides, this one is not a V8. The guy went way out on a limb and dropped in a 4.3. It is a 350 V8 with two cylinders lopped off.

Still has an automatic, though.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Seems like a lot more of these "updated" classics are going across Barrett-Jackson, etc. I thought this one wasn't done too badly, except for the front grill. Probably handles decently, too, with the Mustang II front end.

Hi,

I agree, this conversion does not look too bad and it retains some of its original look (other than the grill). The engine will give it the performance it needs as it was very much under powered with its original engine. I'm not a big fan of these cars, but they do have nice lines.

Regards, Robin.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I love the lines. Too bad it wasn't just a little more functional. For such a long, elegant tail, I think it had less trunk room than a Series I-II Alpine. But what counts on this car was looking really cool cruising the boulevard, with visions of yourself as either Stirling Moss as the driver in an alpine rallye or as Grace Kelly's passenger. Mmmm, where's that picnic basket!

Hi,

I agree, this conversion does not look too bad and it retains some of its original look (other than the grill). The engine will give it the performance it needs as it was very much under powered with its original engine. I'm not a big fan of these cars, but they do have nice lines.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I love the lines. Too bad it wasn't just a little more functional. For such a long, elegant tail, I think it had less trunk room than a Series I-II Alpine. But what counts on this car was looking really cool cruising the boulevard, with visions of yourself as either Stirling Moss as the driver in an alpine rallye or as Grace Kelly's passenger. Mmmm, where's that picnic basket!

Hey, maybe YOU have to choose between being Sterling Moss as the driver or having Grace as the passenger, but I don't!

Bill