• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Air Cleaner

alpinegt

Donation Time
Is anyone running an Edlebrock Performer intake with an air cleaner which will clear the hood? With my original AC cleaner, I need about 3/4 inch more clearance. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
How much room above the carb do you have? I was wondering if the 65 or 66 Mustang 289 Hipo air filter assembly would work. The element is about 2 1/4 inches high, and 14 inches in diameter

V_Mad

Donation Time
I would have thought the AC air cleaner was quite low profile so it should not give clearance problems. Are you using a spacer between carb and manifold?

alpinegt

Donation Time
I went from a 1" spacer to a 1/2" spacer and I still need another 1/2" or so. I just ordered the extreme filter manufactured by K&N from Jeggs. They assure me that this will give more clearance than any other filter on the market. The entire top of the cleaner is open (filtered) and K&N says it gives more air flow than anything else available.

Thanks for all the prompt replys.

Russ

bluoval

Donation Time
i am using the performer intake no spacer with the stock air filter the performer rpm will not clear the hood i also have the lat fiber hood and that gives a little extra room. have not measured the distance from hood to air cleaner but will do so and post the results . good luck earl blu oval

V_Mad

Donation Time
i am using the performer intake no spacer with the stock air filter the performer rpm will not clear the hood i also have the lat fiber hood and that gives a little extra room. have not measured the distance from hood to air cleaner but will do so and post the results . good luck earl blu oval
That confirms what I have heard from others. I would be surprised if any other air cleaner has more clearance than the stock AC.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Russ,

The Edelbrock Performer is a low rise manifold which is still higher than the stock setup I believe. There is a K&N filter which are called the drop base which have the 5-1/8" airhorn flange and are 14" in diametre. I roughly measured my stock setup with Tiger aluminium air cleaner to the underside of the bonnet and the front side only has approximately 10mm, the rear side approximately 20mm. I would have thought the AC air cleaner would have fitted under the bonnet.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
In the Lister with the 351 Windsor I have the ford style 20 inch air cleaner.
I cut the collar of the air cleaner and the air cleaner just clears any part of the edlebrock 4 barrel.The claearanc between the hood and air cleaner are almost nothing but it works.The 62 has good clearance with the 302. Im using an early ford performance intake.No I don't know what it came off.It does sit about an inch and a half back.had to make up a new base though for the air filter.

bluoval

Donation Time
sorry did not post the measurment sooner have 1 1/2 inch clear. from top of ac air cleaner to hood ( NOTE FIBERGLASS) without carb spacer also have a holly side draft or as some call a hammer head air cleaner. that fits w/o any problem. just got the engine in and have not put the spacer on yet. BUT HAVE ROOM TO SPARE good luck earl blu oval

agmason

Donation Time
I have a Edelbrock Performer 289 low rise manifold, Edelbrock 4 bl carb, 1 inch plastic spacer, original AC air cleaner with K&N filter, original steel hood with no scoop and no clearence problems. If you have clearence problems I would look at the motor mounts. Maybe they are not stock and hold the engine higher than it should be.

alpinegt

Donation Time
Robin,

Thinking only about hood clearance I ordered the K&N 14" Drop Base unit. The 14" unit will not clear the lip above the firewall or my HEI Distributor.

Thanks for the post,

Russ

bluoval

Donation Time
Motor Mounts

Hi Alpinegt Maybe You Should Check Your Motor Mounts Is Is Easy To Get Them Reversed And Thus Set The Engine Higher And Further To The Front Of The Car .the Diff. On The Mount Is Only About 1/4 In. But It Makes A World In Diff. You Can Check By Measuering The Distance From The Stud That Comes Out Of The Rubber Mount On Each Side You Will Find That The Stud Is Offset And The Shortest Side Goes To The Rear . Had My Engine In With Two Left Side Mounts And That Cerated A Real Problem. Note; They Were Ordered And Supposed To Be A Pair Of New Mounts. It Took A While To Figure Out The Problem Because I Assumed That The Mounts Were Correct. You Can Also Drop The Engine A Little By Placing A Washer Or Spacer Between The Two Top Attachment Points Ofthe Motor Mount Struts Where They Attach To The Body . It Changes The Angle Of The Strut And Allows The Engine To Drop Little. A Little Here And A Little There Is What You Have To Do With A Sunbeam. Good Luck Earl Blu Oval

alpinegt

Donation Time
Thanks for the input BLUOVAL. I have checked the mounts already. I am going from 1" spacer to a 1/2" spacer and pray that I don't run into vapor locks with our hot Georgia summer.

Thanks,

Russ

bluoval

Donation Time
spacer

new update i just put on a 1/2 wood edlebrock spacer and now have about 1/2 to 3/4 clear. a little piicey but may be well worth the added cost . good luck earl blu oval