• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4G63T in a 61 sunbeam alpine

jammont

Donation Time
Success

Hey Guys
Just wanted to update you on my progress. fire up the car for the first time tonight and it runs....not to bad i might add. Will need to play with the airfuel mixture a bit and it should per like a kitten. All i have left to do is finish mounting the intercooler i ordered ( it is out of a reneault GT 5) mount the iat and blow off valve and get a drive shaft made to mate to the stock rear end. I have to design an exhaust system to.It has been pretty painless swap i must say. Has very good clearances for the steering as well. The only thing that took some time was designing the intake manifold (mostly reading on successful designs for the engine) and making it fit over the steering box and still clear the bonnet. wiring was pretty easy as i used the megasquirt 2 ECU and wiring harness. Here are some pics of what it looks like to date. Once the drive train is finished the it is time to finish the body. Can not wait to see how this baby goes. If anyone is looking to do a similar swap i would be mor than happy to answer any questions.
Regards
Jamie

Attachments

• sunbeam pics #2 001.jpg
    sunbeam pics #2 001.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 167
  • sunbeam pics #2 002.jpg
    sunbeam pics #2 002.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 158
  • sunbeam pics #2 003.jpg
    sunbeam pics #2 003.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 149

bashby

Donation Time
Looks really good! Sounds like an easier swap than my CA18DET the exhaust manifold and turbo made mine difficult (and the dual exhausts made it even more so). Mine has been a 3-year project so far...

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Congrats on your great work Jamie. I'd love to see a write up on all you've had to do once it's finished. This motor might be the way to go for those wanting modern TC turbo power in their Alpine.

jammont

Donation Time
write up

Yes i will make sure i do a complete write up and parts list as well as take lots of photos for anyone who is interested in doing a swap like this. I have had to do alot of internet searching to find parts compatability and think that was the hardest part of this project. If anyone has any questions just ask.
Regards
Jamie

jammont

Donation Time
4G63T in 61 series II

Hey Guys
Just giving an update, finished installing my fuel pressure regulator and adjusting the VE table on the megasquirt 2. It is running really nice. Installed a 3" exhaust system, had drive shaft made, rebuilt the entire braking system, installed new axle seals and 4 bolt hubs with hardened keys, installed hydraulic clutch slave and installed the renault intercooler in front of the radiator and installed the turbo piping. Not much room left in the engine bay once everything is packed in but the bonnet fits with nice clearance to the cam gears. Will take for a test drive out at the race track once the weather gets nicer and then on to the body work. Engine has great throttle response and cannot wait until i can take it for a run. Will keep you guys updated. Here are a couple of pictures.
Regards
Jamie

Attachments

• sunbeam pics 002.jpg
    sunbeam pics 002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 177
  • sunbeam pics 003.jpg
    sunbeam pics 003.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 135
  • sunbeam pics 004.jpg
    sunbeam pics 004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 126
  • sunbeam pics 005.jpg
    sunbeam pics 005.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 153
  • sunbeam pics 006.jpg
    sunbeam pics 006.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 175

rwharvey2

Donation Time
Update on progress

I'm looking for a 4cly to put in my 64 series 4. Do you have any recient pictures? How's the installation going. DId you consider other engines? I was looking at a 20R toyota that a guy in England did. It fit pretty good. I saw this post and wanted to see how its going. WHat kind on Hp does your engine expect put out? Is the transmission fitting or lots of cutting?
Thanks in advance.
Rich

jammont

Donation Time
4G63 in sunbeam

I can email you some finished engine pics. as for horsepower the engine i put in was rated at 210 hp, but i have a megasquirt engine management system and a couple other additions to the engine...as for fit it fit very nice. you will have to take out a piece of the crossmember and box it in for the oil filter assembly of the 4G63 to fit and use a filter relocation kit. As for the transmission the tunnel had to be widened by at least an inch on the drivers side..i did 2 on mine just to be safeand the shifter sits about 2 inches farther back from the original. Also you would have to build a custom intake manifold as the original is to big to fit. Also the engine i used has a small garret T25 turbo left in the stock configuration (faces backwards) for it to fit in the engine bay. I can give you a list of parts you would need to complete the swap. Email me at jamiemonteyne@sasktel.net if you have any other questions.
Jamie

jammont

Donation Time
bodywork

Hey Guys
Just sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the body last night....will be spraying a couple of coats of 2k urethane primer and then right to block sanding...should be painted by spring...here is a couple of photos..sorry for the quality as i have toi get my camera fixed.

Attachments

• DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 76

jammont

Donation Time
body work

Hey Guys
Wanted to post pics of my body work progress......just finished the first round of block sanding. Have to reprime and block again. Turned out better than i thought as i only have 3 low spots to fill. Will start blocking again this weekend. Car will be candy apple red.
Regards

Attachments

• sunbeam pics 12.jpg
    sunbeam pics 12.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 51
  • sunbeam pics 13.jpg
    sunbeam pics 13.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 44
  • sunbeam pics 14.jpg
    sunbeam pics 14.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 42
  • sunbeam pics 15.jpg
    sunbeam pics 15.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 49

jammont

Donation Time
finally in paint

Hey Guys
Just wanted to update you on my progress. finished painting 4 days ago and wheeled it out of the shop for a bit. On to color sanding then start to put everything back together....very pleased with how it is turning out....cannot wait to give it a good run.
Regards
Jamie

Attachments

• IMG-20120507-00117.jpg
    IMG-20120507-00117.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-20120507-00119.jpg
    IMG-20120507-00119.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20120507-00118.jpg
    IMG-20120507-00118.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20120507-00120.jpg
    IMG-20120507-00120.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 74

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks good. Are those Mustang turbine wheels on the car? If so, how is the clearance. What size tires. I've been considering those for my SV.

jammont

Donation Time
Turbine wheels

yes they are....i had to trim the front valance a little for the steering in the front. They will need to have 1/4" spacers on the back due to the fact that the rear brake drum does not sit flat and you will need longer wheel studs in the back...they look great though.